Are pools heated ?

markperth

Hi all, I tried searching but could not find answer.

so, have booked a transatlantic from nyc to Rome in April 2020 on the Escape. We will have our 3 yo grandson with us, and his parents. Lol.

given the weather may not be overly hot, would the outdoor pools and water park,that he is allowed in,be somewhat heated?

thanks in advance

The above responses are not really complete.  The main outdoor pool on Escape CAN be heated.  I was surprised to see steam wafting off of it after boarding in sub-freezing temperatures, and when I put my hand in it was warm enough to swim.  It was windy and 25 degrees on deck so no one was taking advantage of that!

Despite the fact that they can heat the pool, it appears that they rarely do, so I wouldn't plan on it actually being heated.  In the case I observed it may have been to prevent damage from freezing rather than improve passenger comfort.  For that reason, the other pools may be heatable to but the main pool is the only one I checked out.  Escape definitely has the ability to heat the main outdoor pool.

8 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Escape no for the pools. The hot tubs are hot. 

The ships designed for Alaska like the Bliss have heated pools, water slides, and water features. 

From my cruise experiences the hot tubs are more like slightly tepid at best.  Not even close to actually hot.

Epic pools were heated back on the January 11 day Caribbean sailing, and not from the sun. You could feel the heat coming up through the metal plates in the bottom of the pool. Felt more like a public bathtub than a swimming pool, yuk. Never have a noticed a pool heated to that level.

On 6/9/2019 at 7:55 AM, markperth said:

so, have booked a transatlantic from nyc to Rome in April 2020 on the Escape. We will have our 3 yo grandson with us, and his parents. Lol.

given the weather may not be overly hot, would the outdoor pools and water park,that he is allowed in,be somewhat heated?

thanks in advance

They will by the time the kids are done.

They will be the time the kids have had enough and maybe some adults as well.

On 6/9/2019 at 7:55 AM, markperth said:

thanks in advance

The pool can be heated. In the Caribbean it normally isn't and that is what people seem to be responding to. In Alaska and the Baltics it is sometimes heated. You may find that even if the main pool is not heated that the kids splash zone is heated. You really won't know until you get on board.

I believe that:

Some pools on the ships may use salt water or a mix with freshwater treated with chlorine.

For the longevity of your swim wear suggest you wash and wear it in a shower after use.

Hot Tubs I would do the same.

Some fabrics (elastics) don't fare well in chemical treated water.

For the Dawn, in the old days - homeport in NY - the main pools were (supposed to be/capable of) heated and the ship's navigational channel displays wwould show its temperature as well as that of the hot tubs (and, the kiddie pool.)   I don't recall the Star or Jewel, or the Gem for that matter, having its main/adult pool heated then - water temp on the Dawn was shown as around 79 degree F from a decade + ago.  

We never bothered to go near, let alone into these oversized bath tubs - they drained them nightly for cleaning & then refill them ... bringing the pool up to a comfortable temperature range does take a while.  Of course, the *Away/Plus class ships do not/never displayed the detailed ship navigational data/stats the way the "older" ships do.  

This would be a good & friendly questions for someone at their next CC Meet & Mingle gathering onboard one of these ships in question.  

Edited by mking8288

We did the TA on the Star in April.  The first couple of days out of Miami the pool was quite 'refreshing' meaning the temperature of a lake in Ontario.  On the third day heading north east to the Azores it was much more comfortable, around 82 degrees.  I'm not sure if they heated it or the sun did it.  The hot tubs were HOT.  Too hot to be comfortable (for me) and that didn't change for the whole cruise.

On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 7:55 AM, markperth said:

thanks in advance

Yes, most NCL ships are heated and I can tell you first hand that the Escape is.

I was swimming in the Escape pool the 2nd day at sea in January leaving from NYC last year and I also asked the fellow who takes care of the pools.  That being said, it was still a bit cold, but not nearly as cold as the ocean water that time of year.  He said it takes a while to heat them up. Also swam in the pool the last day at sea as we headed back to NYC on our 14 day cruise. 

1 hour ago, markperth said:

Hey dongordon,

best news I have heard all day.

thanks to everyone as well who have posted.

cheers

Mark...

Enjoy the pool....best time to swim is between 7-8 AM before the crowds get there with all there sun tan oils!!:classic_biggrin:

I did it almost everyday on my 14 day cruise for 45 minutes.....great way to start the day.

Don

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/10/2019 at 1:41 AM, Birdie And Sue said:

From my cruise experiences the hot tubs are more like slightly tepid at best.  Not even close to actually hot.

Funny you mention this, cause according to your posting history your first cruise ever is in 10 days...

• Like 1