Dining Room - Dress Code Enforcement

w.brooks29

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 5:22 AM, yorky said:

It’s the internet my friend, i’ve never in 25 years of cruising seen anyone challenge another cruiser on their dress sense  face to face 😄

Sorry, but I have! Took on a guy on the QM2 dressed in skanky shorts & wife beater T shirt. on formal night. Yes, & I got him kicked out. Sorry, but I pay good money to not eat with pax who choose to dress like slobs.

• Like 3

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 8:29 PM, NCteacherlovescruising said:

So what should we plan to bring for the MDR?  What about chic night (More so for my husband)?  I'm only asking because reading through this, it is doesn't sound like he necessarily needs to wear a button up shirt, perhaps a polo would suffice.  For formal nights, will most men be in a suit or tux, or would nice pants with a button up and tie work?  I was thrown when I read that most people don't change after dinner.  We always wanted to put on comfortable clothes to hang out in for the night, which was acceptable on their others we've been on (Carnvial, RCCL, Princess, and NCL), but apparently not on X.  I guess I'll just pack several sundresses, but will certainly change shoes after dinner. 

At night, basically smart casual: Slacks & button down shirt. On Chic nights maybe a sport coat with/without tie. A tux/suit if you like, but no longer necessary.

9 hours ago, keithm said:

At night, basically smart casual: Slacks & button down shirt. On Chic nights maybe a sport coat with/without tie. A tux/suit if you like, but no longer necessary.

The dress code also states that jeans are allowed - works for me

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/25/2019 at 9:11 PM, pink tulip said:

Just back one cruise critic after several years off with no cruises and I’m so sad to hear formal nights are no longer on celebrity! I just booked the reflection for spring 2020 and one of my favourite things about cruising  is dressing up for dinner. Despite the abolishment of formal night if I choose to wear a gown and DH wears a suit will we look ridiculous? 

The current Evening Chic dress code allows for a wide range of individual interpretation and you'll see a bit of everything. In the last few years, especially on Caribbean sailings there's been a definite trend toward a more casual vibe than the former Formal nights, but you won't be alone whatever you choose. Most people tend to dress up a bit more on Evening Chic than the other nights. Wear what pleases you and don't worry about being out of place.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Okay, I’m too damn old to go through multiple pages of yet ANOTHER dress code thread to see if this has been asked already..

OP - You say you will change into a button down shirt for dinner, but can’t be bothered to change your shoes or put on a pair of pants?

Edited by chefchick
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, momjkm said:

My husband was denied entrance to the MDR last week on the Infinity. Last summer, he wore shorts in the Equinox MDR. So?  Who knows!

I saw someone with cutoff shorts and a baseball cap on backwards walk into mdr on infinity in March. 

7 minutes ago, George C said:

I saw someone with cutoff shorts and a baseball cap on backwards walk into mdr on infinity in March. 

Last time we were on Infinity the hostess sent away a guest wearing shorts at dinner, and she also asked a man to remove his ball cap at breakfast.  He asked why?  She said, "it's the dining room sir".  He looked old enough to know about the "no hats at the table" rule.   I guess it depends who's manning the desk at the time.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Did I miss why the OP jumped from “no flip flops” to “I have to wear close-toed shoes”? I mean, are sandals not acceptable??

Dressy sandals for women are fine, from what I understand....

bon appetite and bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, AmberCascades said:

Last time we were on Infinity the hostess sent away a guest wearing shorts at dinner, and she also asked a man to remove his ball cap at breakfast.  He asked why?  She said, "it's the dining room sir".  He looked old enough to know about the "no hats at the table" rule.   I guess it depends who's manning the desk at the time.

Seems there was a lapse in his etiquette training somewhere along the line...

Thought that is fairly standard  !

45 minutes ago, colonial traveler said:

So, we sail next month on Constellation- from what I gather here, a sport coat is NOT required on Chic night and a pair of nice slacks and a button down shirt is acceptable. Can someone confirm who has recently cruised on celebrity?

Yes, that is correct.

On 7/30/2019 at 10:33 AM, Bootman4U said:

Maybe a polo would suffice....has your husband EVER buttoned that polo and put on a sport coat over it?  Plenty of people do that

My answer to this question would be no. And if by some crazy chance he did, I would tell him that he looked dumb. Not an attractive look, IMO. 

• Like 1

My husband likes to wear collared, print, silk shirts that button up but are not tucked into pants. They are not as casual as polo shirt but they are not a dress shirt. Are these acceptable for Chic night dining? I don't think I can get him to wear a sport coat over one. 

2 hours ago, finny2 said:

My husband likes to wear collared, print, silk shirts that button up but are not tucked into pants. They are not as casual as polo shirt but they are not a dress shirt. Are these acceptable for Chic night dining? I don't think I can get him to wear a sport coat over one. 

Sounds got me . 

2 hours ago, finny2 said:

From your description, he will be just fine.

A sport coat is certainly not necessary, although there are some men who still wear them, just as some may wear jeans and some may wear a tuxedo.

Celebrity encourages diversity.  You are likely to see a wide variety in styles of dress on Celebrity cruises.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, finny2 said:

Should be fine. Only thing.. make sure no "skin" shows either in front or in back.  Sometime a go, had a guy bend over to pick up his napkin. All I can say is, if I were a Werewolf, that "Moon" could have caused a disaster!

Edited by keithm
additions
  • Haha 1

I can't believe I'm actually extending this crazy conversation, but food for thought...

I am female and sometimes wear very dressy shorts (sometimes with a matching jacket) and dressy shoes to the MDR and specialty restaurants and have never been questioned.  Dressy shorts have been on the "female fashion scene" for a while now.  Yet my husband can't wear the most expensive, dressy, tailored shorts he owns (he doesn't actually want to, as he enjoys dressing up in pants and jackets/button down shirts, etc.) because he's male.  The footwear issue is impacted by gender too.  Women's "sandals" are often modified flip flops or "barely there" in style, yet men are often strongly encouraged to wear "closed toe" shoes.  It reminds me of a long fight some of us high school teachers had in school for years:  we felt it was so unfair that boys couldn't wear hats/headwear of any kind in the classroom (baseball or otherwise), but women were allowed to wear their fashionable toques, berets, headscarves, etc. 

Kind of discriminatory, hey?

I saw zero enforcement of the MDR or even the cafe buffet.

the prohibited items were right there on my dining card. Yet shorts were worn by many, and I even saw a ball cap.

in the cafe, shirtless men walked about the food stations.

The ONLY time I saw something enforced was for the sail away on the bow.  It stated NO OPEN TOED SHOES, and they certainly were checking feet.

BTW, reading this thread, I see many posters confusing a dress code with dress restrictions.  A dress code is for people to get an idea what they will find others wearing at an event,  usually starting with what the majority will be found to be wearing.

Dress restrictions is a list of items that are prohibited from wearing.  How those restrictions are enforced vary from venue and ship and person in charge.

Personally, if they are going to not enforce the shorts rule, I wish they would let us all know.  I would LOvE to wear shorts all nights other than Chic.

Edited by Lace