formal nights

delgirl

On 7/2/2019 at 8:04 AM, wowzz said:

Ideally men need to wear a suit plus tie, but the code only applies to the mdr and certain bars. If you don't want to dress up, you can use the buffet, or the speciality restaurants, but no shorts anywhere on the ship in the evening. 

The bewitching hour is 6pm and the P&O dress police are out and about in most public areas, even the pub !!

• Like 1

On 7/7/2019 at 1:50 AM, snaefell said:

Just to claify another thing,on Black & White nights you will see people wearing other colours,including kilts,so it can still be colourful!

Some men also wear sports jackets or Blazer (Bermuda Jackets) with slacks on formal nights, no problems.

• Thanks 1

On 7/6/2019 at 4:50 PM, snaefell said:

Just to clarify another thing,on Black & White nights you will see people wearing other colours,including kilts,so it can still be colourful!

Having said this some clans like the MacClean have a Black and White tartan to gracefully fall in line with the theme.

Regards John

Formal dress is a matter of opinion we like the formal side and like dressing up so 2 nights out of 7 isnt excessive for us.

Following taken from P&Os website for dress on Formal nights-

Black Tie nights bring glamour and a real sense of occasion to evenings at sea, making your holiday extra special. For ladies, cocktail dresses and ball gowns are perfect. For men, dinner jackets or tuxedos are most common, but a dark lounge or business suit, tie and smart shoes are fine, too. You can also wear formal national dress and military uniform.

9 hours ago, NSWP said:

Some men also wear sports jackets or Blazer (Bermuda Jackets) with slacks on formal nights, no problems.

It’s all down to personal choice those who cannot be bothered to join in,and those who find dressing up to be a pleasurable experience, but the former for whatever reason seam to  need to join in with the latter.

Edited by Bazrat
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, john watson said:

Having said this some clans like the MacClean have a Black and White tartan to gracefully fall in line with the theme.

Regards John

Yes there are several nice black , black and white or black and grey tartans that suit the occasion perfectly.

29 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

It’s all down to personal choice those who cannot be bothered to join in,and those who find dressing up to be a pleasurable experience, but the former for whatever reason seam to  need to join in with the latter.

I wonder if we should grade black tie nights, grade 1 would require DJ or dark suit, grade 2 would allow a smart jacket and tie as an alternative, for both grades DJs and dark suits would of course be OK. Just a thought.

14 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I wonder if we should grade black tie nights, grade 1 would require DJ or dark suit, grade 2 would allow a smart jacket and tie as an alternative, for both grades DJs and dark suits would of course be OK. Just a thought.

Interesting notion. I have often thought however (and said before on here) that the gents usually come up to the mark nicely, it is some of the ladies that take too much latitude with regard to what is “formal” wear.

Building on your suggestion perhaps ladies should have grade 1 long frocks or proper cocktail dresses and grade 2 wear what you like which some do already.

6 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Interesting notion. I have often thought however (and said before on here) that the gents usually come up to the mark nicely, it is some of the ladies that take too much latitude with regard to what is “formal” wear.

Building on your suggestion perhaps ladies should have grade 1 long frocks or proper cocktail dresses and grade 2 wear what you like which some do already.

I think that you are spot on the mark there. If gentlemen are required to wear dinner jackets or lounge suits, ladies should be required to dress to the equivalent standard of formality and wear evening gowns or cocktail dresses. "Slacks and a nice top" should be no more acceptable for ladies than it is for gentlemen.

Tin hat on!

Edited by Denarius
layout
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Denarius said:

I think that you are spot on the mark there. If gentlemen are required to wear dinner jackets or lounge suits, ladies should be required to dress to the equivalent standard of formality and wear evening gowns or cocktail dresses. "Slacks and a nice top" should be no more acceptable for ladies than it is for gentlemen.

Tin hat on!

Have we ever done a poll on here to establish whether more Gentlemen or Ladies favour formal nights?

9 hours ago, Denarius said:

Tin hat on!

I love dressing up, but if I saw a woman in 'nice slacks and a top' it wouldn't worry me. How do I know that she doesn't have some nasty flesh eating disease. I'd prefer she keeps it hidden. Yes, I hate men wearing shorts in the dining room, but I wouldn't waste a moment of my hard earned holiday getting all worked up about it, I'm there to have fun 🙂

I think it would be wonderful if guests could relax and enjoy themselves rather than concerning themselves about the dress choices of others. It's all a bit 'neighbourhood watch' at sea. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Babyeddiedog said:

I love dressing up, but if I saw a woman in 'nice slacks and a top' it wouldn't worry me. How do I know that she doesn't have some nasty flesh eating disease. I'd prefer she keeps it hidden. Yes, I hate men wearing shorts in the dining room, but I wouldn't waste a moment of my hard earned holiday getting all worked up about it, I'm there to have fun 🙂

I think it would be wonderful if guests could relax and enjoy themselves rather than concerning themselves about the dress choices of others. It's all a bit 'neighbourhood watch' at sea. 

in a perfect world those who wish not to participate in formal nights would use the facilities offered to them,but no they wish to change them to suit themselves so people who wish to participate believe they have to defend formal nights.

it would be totally relaxed if people go along with the dining arrangements made by P&O.

• Like 4

Just a thought our next cruise is with marella we’re there is a relaxed dress code,there are people complaining about how some cannot even bother to do that is that what some on here wish for P&O to do.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

in a perfect world those who wish not to participate in formal nights would use the facilities offered to them,but no they wish to change them to suit themselves so people who wish to participate believe they have to defend formal nights.

it would be totally relaxed if people go along with the dining arrangements made by P&O.

Ok. So just imagine you are a lady who is in her 70's/80's. You can no longer wear 'nice' shoes because you have bad feet. Due to a heart problem you have swollen red and purple legs (you could also easily be younger with Psoriasis or maybe an artificial limb) so you don't want to put your legs on view of all and sundry in a dress.

How would you feel if you were frowned upon for wanting to eat in the main dining room? You may have gone through something others have no idea about. Why should you be judged and not be allowed to participate?

I know this is not the situation in every/most cases, but really, people should not judge others. I LOVE formal nights and I wouldn't want to see the end of them, but there are staff on the payroll who should deal with 'flouting' of the regulations not other guests.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bazrat said:

IMO it would be even more relaxed if people were allowed to wear whatever they are comfy in without anybody else giving a stuff!

I am not on holiday to judge a fashion show!!!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Babyeddiedog said:

Ok. So just imagine you are a lady who is in her 70's/80's. You can no longer wear 'nice' shoes because you have bad feet. Due to a heart problem you have swollen red and purple legs (you could also easily be younger with Psoriasis or maybe an artificial limb) so you don't want to put your legs on view of all and sundry in a dress.

How would you feel if you were frowned upon for wanting to eat in the main dining room? You may have gone through something others have no idea about. Why should you be judged and not be allowed to participate?

I know this is not the situation in every/most cases, but really, people should not judge others. I LOVE formal nights and I wouldn't want to see the end of them, but there are staff on the payroll who should deal with 'flouting' of the regulations not other guests.

A long formal evening gown can hide such embarrasment just as effectively as trousers.

I personnaly would prefer not to have black tie evenings. Having worn a suit at work all my working life, I prefer not to do so on holiday. But if there is a black tie evening, I will comply and wear my dinner suit (bought specially for such occasions and not worn otherwise) out of respect for my fellow passengers. I do not believe it unreasonable that ladies should display a similar attitude. Sauce for the goose should be sauce for the gander (or should that be the other way around!)

3 hours ago, snaefell said:

IMO it would be even more relaxed if people were allowed to wear whatever they are comfy in without anybody else giving a stuff!

I am not on holiday to judge a fashion show!!!

This is very true but if people are allowed to wear anything they want provided they were comfy in it, some people, not many initially, might wear their mechanics overalls from work or levi's biker jacket with the cut off arms and all the chains and badges on. It is not about a fashion show it is more about trying to maintain a general standard which is respectable and on some dedicated nights a sense of occasion with people making a special effort.

Regards John

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, john watson said:

This is very true but if people are allowed to wear anything they want provided they were comfy in it, some people, not many initially, might wear their mechanics overalls from work or levi's biker jacket with the cut off arms and all the chains and badges on. It is not about a fashion show it is more about trying to maintain a general standard which is respectable and on some dedicated nights a sense of occasion with people making a special effort.

Regards John

Totally agree John really,it is all a matter of personal taste & we are all different & that means that we all will not agree,but I would have absolutely no objection to somebody turning up in their overalls or biker jacket & do not see why they should be made to feel out of place.

5 hours ago, Babyeddiedog said:

Your last paragraph lost me this is a general discussion of dress standards,nothing discussed here will effect those who do not wish to make the effort.

1 hour ago, snaefell said:

Totally agree John really,it is all a matter of personal taste & we are all different & that means that we all will not agree,but I would have absolutely no objection to somebody turning up in their overalls or biker jacket & do not see why they should be made to feel out of place.

I am pretty certain that if you sat next to a passenger who was wearing his mechanics overalls you would be a bit upset if any of the oil or grease on them got onto your clothes.  In order that people do not feel out of place the cruise line publish information on what is expected of passengers on their holiday.  Nobody wants anyone to feel out of place.

There are socially accepted standards in every day life of what is an acceptable way of dressing and on cruises the cruise line makes it easy for people to understand by publishing them.

Regards John

• Like 1

We always have a table for 2 so they probably wouldn't be that close,even if they were I would like to think that when packing for holidays they would at least pack clean overalls,the person inside is far more important than the clothing IMO,but then we would be getting in to the way some people behave as well as dress!

I'm a 60 year old lady who can no longer wear pretty heels (correction, I can't wear them to walk in but will sport them with pleasure when I am in my wheelchair :) ). I don't have a 'terrible flesh eating disease' but have never flashed my legs. A long dress is perfectly suitable for hiding imperfections, it can cover as much as the wearer wishes.

We are looking forward to 7 formal nights on our next cruise and will take the opportunity to 'dress to the nines' :)

Edited by Slugsta
typo
  • Like 6

I'm beginning to wish I hadn't booked a P&O cruise now. Four nights of OTT formal dressing is four nights too many for me. I don't wear dresses or fancy frocks, my husband will not contemplate travelling off to the Caribbean carting 'proper' shoes and his funeral suit. And to read that there are staff that will bar you entry to some bars because they consider you improperly dressed is appalling. On RCI and Celebrity it is very comfortable to dine in the MDR on formal nights clad in nice trousers and top (me, but definitely no sparkles or bling!) and long trousers with smart open neck shirt (him, and one shirt he has actually cost over £90!). I'd say half dress like this and the other half does more formal attire, and no one bats an eyelid or cares. As long as you look clean and have made some kind of effort It's all that matters. It's off putting to think that we'll feel forced to hide away in the buffet and feel judged by others if we want to drink in particular bars.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mim Lloyd said:

I'm beginning to wish I hadn't booked a P&O cruise now. Four nights of OTT formal dressing is four nights too many for me. I don't wear dresses or fancy frocks, my husband will not contemplate travelling off to the Caribbean carting 'proper' shoes and his funeral suit. And to read that there are staff that will bar you entry to some bars because they consider you improperly dressed is appalling. On RCI and Celebrity it is very comfortable to dine in the MDR on formal nights clad in nice trousers and top (me, but definitely no sparkles or bling!) and long trousers with smart open neck shirt (him, and one shirt he has actually cost over £90!). I'd say half dress like this and the other half does more formal attire, and no one bats an eyelid or cares. As long as you look clean and have made some kind of effort It's all that matters. It's off putting to think that we'll feel forced to hide away in the buffet and feel judged by others if we want to drink in particular bars.

Just out of interest did you not know about the formal nights on P&O more to the point there are other places to eat if you do not want to dress up.