2022 World Cruise

I’m going to give this some serious thought.  I’m booked on the 2020 WC and the 2020 Grand Cape Horn Adventure (Oct 29, 2020 - Jan 5, 2021), and I’m tentatively planning to do the Grand Arctic Discovery in 2021 if it’s offered.  I’ve been thinking about doing something along those lines that covers more of Asia, and here it is!  And I love the Mariner (200+ days booked on her in 2020).  Gonna run some numbers and see what shakes out...

Lana in Bellingham, WA

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Mystictraveler said:

For you folks who have sailed on these types of extended journeys, how do you keep from putting on too many extra pounds? With all the food and alcohol options and temptations, and being pre-diabetic, I just don't see how I could manage effectively.

I'm not sure, I haven't done it yet, and I'm seriously worried.  One thing I'm doing is cleaning up my lifestyle before I go.  Trying to drop some pounds, and establish good habits so I don't overdo it.  I am still working on cutting back alcohol--that comes and goes, but I hope to be at the point in 18 months that I can take it or leave it.  One thing in my favour is that ours is a hot-weather cruise, and alcohol and heat don't go well together, for me.  Also practicing food logging, and doing serious portion control. I will also keep myself accountable by weighing myself regularly (I even may bring my own scale.)

I don't have diabetes to worry about, but I do have heart disease, and I will also be asking for the "no salt added" option. Also I'll try to avoid desserts--perhaps indulging myself once a week, or having fruit.  There's also the sugar-free options available.  Seriously, after cruising for almost 20 years, I am "over" the food.  Obviously there's some food to die for, but I no longer live to eat, and hope to practice what I preach onboard, ha ha.  

We took our scale.  It was funny to weigh while the ship was moving.  We weighed somewhere between 50 and 350 pounds.  It did work when we were docked or anchored.  We told them at the first meal to not bring us the bread.  Also, no dessert menu.

3 hours ago, Mystictraveler said:

For you folks who have sailed on these types of extended journeys, how do you keep from putting on too many extra pounds? With all the food and alcohol options and temptations, and being pre-diabetic, I just don't see how I could manage effectively.

The longest cruise I’ve done so far is 38 days, but I’m booked on the 2020 world cruise (131 days).  I’ve also done two 28-day cruises.  

So far, I haven’t gained weight on any of them.  Warning: what I do may or may not work for anyone else, but it allows me eat what I want without stressing over it or having to keep track of ”numbers” (calories, carbs, macros, etc).  

I use just 4 simple ”rules”:  1) I eat ONLY when I’m hungry; 2) I stop eating when I’m no longer hungry, eating slowly enough to actually sense when that occurs during a meal -- and ”stop” means stop, even if it means leaving food on the plate; 3) eat a balance of protein/fat/carbs, and focus on veggies (typical meal for me is 1/2 of a smallish plate filled with veggies, slightly more than 1/4 with protein, and the rest in carbs (rice, pasta, etc); 4) I do it 3 times a day with no snacking between.  I also limit myself to 3 alcoholic drinks per day (wine or mixed) and go light on desserts -- if I get to that ”I’ve eaten just enough” point before dessert, I skip it.  But if there’s something really yummy on the dessert menu that I REALLY want to try, I’ll skip the wine or go with a lighter entree to compensate.

I actually lost about 6 lbs on the 38-day trip and thoroughly enjoyed everything.  I’m planning to do the same on the world cruise next year.  Like I said, it works for me, but may not work for others.

Lana in Bellingham, WA

Rcandkc, our 2921 WC was about 100% waitlisted on day one. But since then suites open up. Seems very fluid, a lot of movement this past year. Regardless the waitlisted Horizon suite we waitlisted on day 1 opened up on day 3. That being said if there is a cabin you really want book it now.

3 hours ago, rcandkc said:

I was only curiously looking after I got Regent email.  My husband would never agree to that long of cruise although he loves 14-18 day cruises. 

Funny, I thought that about my husband as well, until we did an 18-day on Mariner which was continuing around South America, and we were both sorry that we had to disembark.   It was he who came up with the idea of booking a world cruise, go figure.  Got the 'bit in his teeth', so to speak.

This circle of fire world cruise  has a wonderful itinerary. We did it the other way round with less ports (82 days) last fall on the MS Amsterdam. Any questions on the ports?  I am willing to answer if I can.

Obviously our ship was less luxurious than Regent ships but the Indonesian and Philippino crew on - dam ships is wonderful. They had also upped the food and activities budget and put in their best hotel and excursion desk staff plus excellent speakers. Now I am comparing other ships to them and Azamara really fell short except for the food as such.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Just found this thread, so glad I did. The Itinerary for the 2022 World Cruise could not be better for us! It’s as though it were custom crafted to our choices. The only downside is having to wait so long to go. I am so looking forward to this cruise and seeing these ports. Since the climates that we are visiting are so diverse, we will really need to bring tons of clothes ... is there enough room under the bed on the Mariner for storing extra suitcases? I’m also concerned about gaining too much weight and appreciate some of the earlier posts. I definitely cannot allow myself to drink daily. Lots to think and talk about!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, kjbacon said:

Just found this thread, so glad I did. The Itinerary for the 2022 World Cruise could not be better for us! It’s as though it were custom crafted to our choices. The only downside is having to wait so long to go. I am so looking forward to this cruise and seeing these ports. Since the climates that we are visiting are so diverse, we will really need to bring tons of clothes ... is there enough room under the bed on the Mariner for storing extra suitcases? I’m also concerned about gaining too much weight and appreciate some of the earlier posts. I definitely cannot allow myself to drink daily. Lots to think and talk about!

Yes there's room under the bed for suitcases.  I generally nest ours to save room, but I have heard that for a long cruise, like a WC, that the staff can store extra cases for you if required.

I'm hopeful about the food thing.  I'm in training for January 2021, ha ha.

2 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Yes there's room under the bed for suitcases.  I generally nest ours to save room, but I have heard that for a long cruise, like a WC, that the staff can store extra cases for you if required.

I'm hopeful about the food thing.  I'm in training for January 2021, ha ha.

That would be fabulous if the staff can store extra cases. I so hear you about being in training with the food thing! I’m trying to get in decent shape before the holidays and a 2 week Caribbean cruise in January.

i read that there is a gala held the night before the cruise. Is that a dinner and black tie event or just a meet and greet? Should be fun no matter what!

The Gala for Full Cruisers should be at the Fairmont Hotel on January 4th, the night before we board. The dress is "Cocktail" as opposed to Black Tie. Drinks, dinner, some entertainment with a number of Management people as well as some Senior Staff from the ship.

Regent does a good job - not a surprise!

Peggy

Gheez I hope it's not black tie, or even "cocktail", since we are strictly "country club casual" types.  I doubt my husband will even bring a jacket on our WC.  I'm sure the staff can cope, they always do for the special receptions onboard, always a mix of dress, depending on the preference of the guest.  

Our gala is at the Ritz Carlton in Key Biscayne, btw.

We are also very casual people but I’m sure we will manage just fine for the gala. Sounds like a great time and a fun way to meet some fellow cruisers and staff that we are bound to get to know rather well over the 4 month journey. 

A follow up question on storing luggage ... is it ok to store luggage with packed clothes in them? We are figuring that we won’t need our heavy socks and ear muffs while we are in Tahiti!

Wendiy

I have had the same concerns and just found a light weight pair of black dress pants and two flowing tops for our WC. I am planning on wearing that for the gala.. DH will probably bring one sport coat no tie. The sport coat is still on the ? list. Another concern is if gala outside I might be too warm and my DH will melt. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, travelwell said:

Wendiy

I have had the same concerns and just found a light weight pair of black dress pants and two flowing tops for our WC. I am planning on wearing that for the gala.. DH will probably bring one sport coat no tie. The sport coat is still on the ? list. Another concern is if gala outside I might be too warm and my DH will melt. 

Thanks.  I'm not really concerned about myself, I "clean up nicely", but David really does not like wearing a suit, jacket and/or tie.  I'm going to try to persuade him he needs a lightweight sports jacket for this trip since he tends to get cold quite easily, and the air conditioning on the ship can be quite ferocious.  My outfits sound similar to yours.

10 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Thanks.  I'm not really concerned about myself, I "clean up nicely", but David really does not like wearing a suit, jacket and/or tie.  I'm going to try to persuade him he needs a lightweight sports jacket for this trip since he tends to get cold quite easily, and the air conditioning on the ship can be quite ferocious.  My outfits sound similar to yours.

There are probably very few people on board who are more casual than I am...I, too, am not a fan of suits and ties.  But I don’t even do a 10 or 12 night cruise without at least one sport coat or blazer, even in warmer climes.  And I don’t tend to get cold easily, but I’ve even been glad for my jacket at dinner a few time.  I personally couldn’t imagine doing a WC without some sort of jacket or coat.  But that’s just me...

• Like 1