Favorte type of Stateroom?

SailorMan20

On 7/13/2019 at 9:43 AM, SRF said:

We are suite people.

We prefer to cruise less often, but do so in a Grand Suite (RCI).

We did six grand suites and tried a owners suite on last cruise rccl, other than walk-in shower prefer grand suites, really think there the perfect size. 

Balcony always our fav.  We tried an aft once, was way too hot with little shade, as well as a spa once, wasn't that big of a deal.  We have an extended balcony for fjord viewing on a 9 day Norway sailing, and have gotten a suite on a TA for the extra room during all those sea days.

But it seems a mid ship balcony for the 2 of us, mid deck, with cabins above and below is our go to choice.

Edited by evandbob

On 7/6/2019 at 9:10 AM, LoriPhil said:

A balcony is a minimum requirement as I spend time just standing or sitting at the rail listening to the ship cruising through the waves, looking for critters or watching the skies.  Prefer sitting area in the cabin because I dislike sitting in bed to read, which means a “mini suite” on Princess.  Celebrity has a couch in their conventional balcony rooms, which was a nice surprise when we booked the Eclipse.  

You would probably like the Verandah Stateroom on Oceania.

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/ships/marina/suites-staterooms/veranda-stateroom/

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 6:42 PM, Aplmac said:

Here's a shot of something you don't want to see

while sitting in your Ocean View window bay.

I saved this photo off Cruise Critic years and years ago

(major congratulations to whoever had the temerity to catch this!)

The file name says it was Carnival Pride, November 2012.

Riviera Deck.

Now you know why those big picture windows are rubber-gasket sealed

with a safety bar across the middle!

Underwater view of a large swell being negotiated!

Rivera dk Ocean view cabin- Carniv-Pride Nov 2012.jpg

This is the exact view we had on one of our cruises years ago. We were on a lower deck on an RCI Sovereign-class in an OV cabin. Waves were horrible - shelves falling over in the shops, things sliding off tables, passengers being thrown from one side of the hallways to the other. We retreated to our cabin (DH was seasick) and I spent time staring out that window into angry black water, praying the seals held!

On our last cruise we had our first balcony (always had OV before) and now we're hooked. We have a spa balcony booked for our upcoming cruise (only 13 day to go!). We love relaxing on the balcony when the public decks get too noisy and I always spend an hour or so sitting out their late at night just listening to the waves against the hull. So relaxing!

We once walked into an inside cabin that some friends were in and knew we'd never survive in there - too claustrophobic for us.

• Like 1

My favorite cabin was a suite on the Regal Princess--but we were able to afford it only because we initially got a great price on the cruise and then an affordable upsell. We can't pay full price for one. I had an ocean view on my solo cruises to Alaska last month and loved it--especially since I had booked an inside guarantee. We had an inside on our transatlantic last fall. Being on the ship was good enough. We're booked for an another inside guarantee on our transatlantic in September. I'd rather go more often than in the finest cabin. Booking balcony cabins and suites is great for people who can afford it.

1 hour ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

This is the exact view we had on one of our cruises years ago

In March we were doing a Norwegian coast cruise.  On our southbound leg we were out there when that Norwegian ship lost power. We stayed in port that night.  Our room had a porthole and we returned to our cabin it had been bolted closed. I would slide down and up in the bunk with the waves.  And the shower?  The water would fly all across the bathroom.  Fun stuff. Oh, this was taken BEFORE they closed the porthold 🙂

IMG_6880 - Edited.jpg

Edited by clo
  • Like 1

I suppose a balcony cabin would be the most common type that we book but it really depends on the cruise itinerary, the cruise line, the ship, the people cruising with us and the cost of the category. Sometimes we want to splurge and get a suite, other times we take a inside cabin.

TYpcally, we choose balcony on the mass market lines. Most often a "sweet 16" or an angled if we can snag one. We were upgraded to a Haven once. Loved it, but when I'm paying then just isn't the value added.

On a river ship or a small ship, we just want to be on board.

We like a cabin as far forward and as high in the ship as we can get. We really enjoy the motion. I'm fine with insides, but DH can't stand them, so anything from obstructed up to where I can't stand the price.