Sorry but it’s aweful

sxphil

Having just read this thread, I have the view that some people like the food, some don’t and some are in the middle, but I am left with a mental image of MSC chefs preparing lasagne with tweezers!

Edited by Omega1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, April42749 said:

Forget "the butler".  Go over to the buffet and pick the one YOU want. 

The pizza delivered by a butler is not the same as what's offered at the buffet.  There is a pizza menu in YC cabins listing pizzas that aren't available at the buffet (so are 'made to order'):

image.thumb.png.f5314c1fec62bc975af439030b1e225f.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I read lots of reviews and look at many food photos on these boards. Sometimes I see photos of a laden plate from the buffet and the poster raves about the food and I think to myself, "Really?". 

We usually cruise with Costa but recently went on the Seaview -Barcelona to Barcelona. We had all our breakfasts in the buffet. There was a good variety of hot food, cold food , pastries and lovely fruit. The rest of our group had breakfast in the MDR a few times and loved it.

We had one lunch in the buffet and one in the MDR. Both pretty good. Our evening meals at a table for 6 had good service and reasonable food. Some of the dishes were very good. I had one fish dish which was a bit meh. Tasty enough but presentation lacking.

I do think it is a case of different strokes for different folks. Not quite sure what people expect on these massive ships. Haute cuisine and Maccie Ds prices?

Alicat

• Like 4

On 7/5/2019 at 3:45 PM, Fred&Lily said:

We were very happy with the food on MSC Divina, but that being said you must understand there is a huge business behind the scenes called "chandlery" which are vast supply and logistics enterprises with names like Costco and Metro and Sysco. Almost everything you see in the MDR or the buffet has been washed, prepared and bagged in their warehouses. The meat dishes are predominantly "boil-in-a-bag" and the baked goods are always pre-made and half baked, then flash frozen on trays which are then heated to a finish on-board when needed.

Have you ever toured behind the scenes in the galley?  If so, you would know that most foods are not pre-packaged.  Even the meats are trimmed by the crew, not boil in the bag.  Have done many galley tours on many different ships and never once seen prewashed, bagged veggies.  Also, baked good are not premade.  Chain restaurants on land, YES, but cruise ships, NO.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Beamafar said:

The pizza delivered by a butler is not the same as what's offered at the buffet.  There is a pizza menu in YC cabins listing pizzas that aren't available at the buffet (so are 'made to order'):

image.thumb.png.f5314c1fec62bc975af439030b1e225f.pngus

As a 70 year old native of NYC, who grew up eating pizza made by little old Italian men who emigrated from "the homeland", when pepperoni and mushrooms were just about the only "add-ons"....that menu just doesn't do it for me.  Now, the pizza in the MSC buffet....that's pizza!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Omega1 said:

Having just read this thread, I have the view that some people like the food, some don’t and some are in the middle, but I am left with a mental image of MSC chefs preparing lasagne with tweezers!

It’s broadcast all the time on the big screen on the pool deck

47 minutes ago, April42749 said:

As a 70 year old native of NYC, who grew up eating pizza made by little old Italian men who emigrated from "the homeland", when pepperoni and mushrooms were just about the only "add-ons"....that menu just doesn't do it for me.  Now, the pizza in the MSC buffet....that's pizza!

I'm married to a Sicilian American (1st generation) and we lived in Italy for 5 years.  That is an Italian pizza menu; not an Italian American pizza menu.  We're looking forward to trying many of them out on our first MSC cruise next January. But we both enjoy a good NYC pepperoni pizza.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Beamafar said:

image.thumb.png.f5314c1fec62bc975af439030b1e225f.png

On Seaside what is offered may be different but any ordered pizza to YC was from buffet pizzeria.  We saw butlers several times with blue bag en route between buffet and YC.  Even confirmed with Primas who was taking pizza to YC.

We also rarely see a sausage pizza on any cruise line anywhere so we asked if we could order one.  They said yes and interestingly enough it had sausage but it was cut up breakfast sausage.

3 minutes ago, dexddd said:

On Seaside what is offered may be different but any ordered pizza to YC was from buffet pizzeria. 

I didn't say it wasn't from the buffet - I said it was different!  While the pizza toppings vary from day to day in the buffet, you would not get that selection at any given time if you were to visit the buffet yourself.  Hence, you get the butler to get one from the menu.

5 hours ago, April42749 said:

Old time NY'er here too and agree. It was fantastic pizza

Safe sailing 

Edited by Spidybabe1

11 hours ago, ready2cruzagain said:

Have you ever toured behind the scenes in the galley?  If so, you would know that most foods are not pre-packaged.  Even the meats are trimmed by the crew, not boil in the bag.  Have done many galley tours on many different ships and never once seen prewashed, bagged veggies.  Also, baked good are not premade.  Chain restaurants on land, YES, but cruise ships, NO.

Exactly this

Baked goods are from scratch. Veggies come in bulk cases and are all hand trimmed/washed on board. Meat is cut from huge sides..there is a butcher shop with ban-saw etc. Cruise ships don't use SV... Done several galley tours, spoken with exec chefs and the amazing way the kitchen works behind the scenes is incredible. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fogfog said:

Exactly this

Baked goods are from scratch. Veggies come in bulk cases and are all hand trimmed/washed on board. Meat is cut from huge sides..there is a butcher shop with ban-saw etc. Cruise ships don't use SV... Done several galley tours, spoken with exec chefs and the amazing way the kitchen works behind the scenes is incredible. 

The first time I seen the crew cutting the meat, kinda freaked me out! 😂

On 7/5/2019 at 3:45 PM, Fred&Lily said:

We were very happy with the food on MSC Divina, but that being said you must understand there is a huge business behind the scenes called "chandlery" which are vast supply and logistics enterprises with names like Costco and Metro and Sysco. Almost everything you see in the MDR or the buffet has been washed, prepared and bagged in their warehouses. The meat dishes are predominantly "boil-in-a-bag" and the baked goods are always pre-made and half baked, then flash frozen on trays which are then heated to a finish on-board when needed.

What? Rall, please one thing not like the food but don't add any nonsens to it.

• Like 1

Maybe it's down to expectations, but my wife and I almost always love the food we get on board. I've been to Italy more than 2 dozen times and the pasta I had onboard the Seaside last year was every bit as good as anything I'd had on land, with the possible exception of some home cooked meals. But in terms of Italian restaurants on land vs MSC, it was on par. Some meals have been better than others, of course. I'm not a huge fan of the breakfast buffets on ship, largely because there's nearly always a very long queue for the omelet station and I groan when I see more than 1/2 the passengers with plates piled high, knowing a lot of it will end up in the garbage. (side note: one reason the quality may be lacking in some posters' view is that the cruise lines know a lot of food will end up wasted, so why spring for the best ingredients? Maybe more passengers should take only what they know they can eat, and waste less. Just a thought) I prefer to sit down for meals and order off the menu. I've generally been very happy with the choices they offer and special requests are always honored (eg my wife likes her eggs dry, not runny). It goes without saying that food preferences are highly personal and subjective, but I'd say we've been more than happy with the food we've had on every cruise. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Fogfog said:

Exactly this

It is incredible ....the whole thing of feeding 4/5000 passengers and maybe 2000 crew several times a day from a floating kitchen. Now I know they have all the best equipment but what they do is virtually a miracle and I always respect the effort.

I love food, good food even better but you have to be a realist.... The level of food some and I repeat some passengers feel they should receive IS fine dining and that comes at a cost, dare I suggest at least 50.00 (UK) per person and that is possibly not fine dining at all really! Well that's 350.00 for a seven night cruise for dinner alone! Out of what anything from 500.00-1,000.00 basic fare....come on lets be real and appreciate what we get for what we pay in the real world.

I say raise today's glass to the head of catering, chef's and kitchen staff at sea 🍷  

• Like 6

21 hours ago, Beamafar said:

Hi Spidybabe ... it's been a while since I've seen you 'round here!   😉

Hi Bea,hope everything is good. yes I lost the app and couldn't get back on for awhile. Site is quieter than it used to be, but I still love it, and always manage to find useful info.

Safe sailing 

5 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

Maybe more passengers should take only what they know they can eat, and waste less. Just a thought) 

What’s the difference between a Great White and a cruise ship passenger?

One is a highly evolved, predatory, eating machine and the other is a shark!😂😂😂

I’ll get my coat!

Edited by Omega1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

The way I look at it, we're on a floating hotel travelling between wonderful destinations and I have a choice of meals, served by polite waiter in a nice dining room or a choice of meals where I can put as much or as little on my plate as I choose, and I don't have to cook any of it 🤗

• Like 11

23 hours ago, stoneman56 said:

Crickey true aficionados here extolling the delights of a pizza, a bloody pizza, it’s peasant food.   

I am rarely one to wade in. But I've been to many a Michelin star restaurant..

Good, proper pizza is a joy... not been on Msc yet..I'm on preziosa in September and will report back...but do not underestimate a good pizza. 

• Like 1

On 7/8/2019 at 7:14 PM, stoneman56 said:

Crickey true aficionados here extolling the delights of a pizza, a bloody pizza, it’s peasant food.   

Did you know that until the 20th century only poor people and prisoners ate lobster?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/9/2019 at 7:25 PM, April42749 said:

Did you know that until the 20th century only poor people and prisoners ate lobster?

April is correct!

We’ve been on the Divina and the Seaside and found the food to be quite good.  We particularly liked the Cantina/Eataly Pizza aboard the Divina and missed having that on the Seaside.  

We prefer the MDRs and avoid the buffets not just on MSC but on all of the cruises that we take.

The MDR food was on par with NCL and much better than Carnival in our opinions. Pam feels the food on MSC was much better than NCL and I think NCL is a little better.  

We will be on the Meraviglia in December and are excited to experience that ship and all of its amenities.

2A2986C3-FE8E-43F6-B49A-14580F8C112D.jpeg

E35BEA76-CEB8-4C98-A565-4FB319800147.jpeg

F07C9DE5-13D4-4159-A2BF-549B662762EF.jpeg

ED8BF0C3-85D7-411E-8919-745AC6152E64.jpeg

40356313-EFCB-45F4-96CD-01D6FB4BFF5C.jpeg

ED717BBE-C52D-446A-BC39-231BC83841CC.jpeg

• Like 3