Door decorations?

We've only done Disney (with lots of door decor) in the past decade and before that I can't remember.....do people decorate their doors on RC, or is it allowed?  We are doing the Serenade of the Seas in a couple days, and I better figure something out quick if so.  I have nothing.  (This was a last minute trip).

2 minutes ago, ChristinaB615 said:

Thank you! I'm assuming the doors are metal? I should have asked that first.

Yes, magnets will stick to doors, walls, and ceilings.

You can decide not to decorate your cabin door. It is not a requirement.

Why stress over finding decorations and packing them? Especially if you are short on time to get ready for the cruise.

I am always curious why this is done on some cruise ships.

Guests generally don’t decorate hotel or resort room doors- why on a cruise ship ?

I know some people say it is so they can locate their cabin easily or they are celebrating a special occasion.

Ok for some folks,not my choice though.

Thank you Clarea!

And MJ, haha, I never did either until I went on several Disney ships and it seemed like a requirement or you looked dull and your kids would wonder why their door didn't have decorations.  So yeah, if only 1 in 10 do it, I may not worry too much about it.  

• Like 1

Or do it just because it's fun! Lol!

I stick some cruise magnets in the front flat pocket of my large suitcase. It's a perfect place. That way I have them if I want to put something up...

Edited by CruiszBug

14 hours ago, MJSailors said:

Why stress over finding decorations and packing them? Especially if you are short on time to get ready for the cruise.

Guests generally don’t decorate hotel or resort room doors- why on a cruise ship ?

I know some people say it is so they can locate their cabin easily or they are celebrating a special occasion.

I agree, not my thing. Besides I don’t like to draw attention to myself or my cabin. But fine for those who enjoy it.😎

14 hours ago, MJSailors said:

That is why indeed that choice is out there.  It is not for one to say if it is a good idea or not.  Decorate...don't decorate..just because someone wants to do it for fun...why not?  

I like to put out one little magnet fish a day on the door...it's just something I enjoy.  

22 hours ago, MJSailors said:

We did a cruise with several couples in our family - none of the rooms were together. We knew the general area of each room,  but having decorations made it easy to find the room if we wanted to stop by.  

I printed photos of the family pets on magnets for each door. I figured that wasn't personally identifiable to anyone but our group. 

Being on a cruise ship is different from staying in a hotel to me. People are out & about doing their own thing (many without a cell phone).  Sometimes it is nice to just swing by on the way to a meal or event to see if they want to join you. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Kmangel said:

Sometimes the decorations disappear.  When it happened to us the decos were only a few doors down, so we were able to take them back.  Sometimes I imagine they disappear for good.

We had our magnet fish "swim away" on a few cruises..indeed to show up swimming on another door near us.  (Joke from our neighbors I think 😉 ).   Then just once in all our cruises...someone took the three prettiest fish, which we never found again.  Good thing I get them quite cheap.  They still get smiles from cabin attendants and pax alike.  

I like when cruisers decorate their doors as it helps me find my cabin.  Have a bad habit of turning the wrong way when getting off elevator and heading down wrong hall.  On one cruise the first door down the hall had a photo of their dogs on door.  When I saw the photo I knew I was on correct hall.  No need to decorate mine if my neighbor will do it.

RCCL, even sales "milestone" packages, that include magnet signage that they attach to your door and inside the cabin.  Your mileage may vary in if you think the cost is worth it.

Otherwise bring on the the magnets etc to decorate your door.  I will probably do so for the first time in a couple of months.  If the decorations disappear, so be it.

I get something from the dollar store, usually seasonal.  My favorite are sheets of magnets in seasons or birthday. Thin, weighs nothing,  cheap and if it disappears no big  deal. And yes it does help us find our cabin down those long halls.

• Like 2

You can make personal magnets using magnetic printer paper from an office supply store and an inkjet printer. Cute downloads can be found on Etsy for a couple of dollars or just use a picture from the internet or a personal photo. Just print and cut out with scissors. They stick great to the doors and walls and are very lightweight. We made cute ones for our Disney Cruise using Etsy.

Mary Ann

• Like 2

1 hour ago, UFMOM said:

You can make personal magnets using magnetic printer paper from an office supply store and an inkjet printer. Cute downloads can be found on Etsy for a couple of dollars or just use a picture from the internet or a personal photo. Just print and cut out with scissors. They stick great to the doors and walls and are very lightweight. We made cute ones for our Disney Cruise using Etsy.

Mary Ann

Agree...there are so many things you can invent that are very inexpensive.   

My DH takes little Balsa wood fish off an old cheap mobile, cuts them in half and attaches cheap magnets to them.  Door fish!  About 30 cents a piece total cost.  Swim off the door ...ahh...not out much. 😉 

• Like 2

We always put a small "marker"...usually a magnet...on our cabin door...I'm visually impaired and genuinely helps me find our cabin.  Our cabin steward often suggest to place it at a higher location so children won't be able to reach it.  (Also prevents me from embarrassing myself when I try opening some else's cabin ☺️😎) I also count the number of steps from the cabin to the elevator...helps as well.

• Like 1

We order them from vendors on Etsy. I would have never thought I would do it, but now I do. Like for our Cruise in November w my sister in tow I have had a sign made saying Thanksgiving  Cruise 2019, smaller it says The Three Amigos Take the Caribbean and then a beach pic and the “Happy 60th Birthday DH” 😊  I assume they can get them done fairly fast and they run $10 give or take.

FYI the doors in the Haven on some of the NCL ships are sometimes do not allow for magnets (there is a faux wood paneling over it that reduces the pull), but so far all RCL cabin doors are just fine!

Edited by 2Beeze

On 7/5/2019 at 10:23 PM, cruiselvr04 said:

I get something from the dollar store, usually seasonal.  My favorite are sheets of magnets in seasons or birthday. Thin, weighs nothing,  cheap and if it disappears no big  deal. And yes it does help us find our cabin down those long halls.

Wow, I didn’t realize they had any. You know, it would be easy to personalize those with sharpie type markers.

@Kmangel that sucks. Even if it’s someone’s child you would think they would make some effort to get it back (I would never have dared, even if I had wanted to, as my parents weren’t good with us stealing 🙄). Likelihood I guess would be higher in high traffic areas. Good luck the next time!

Edited by 2Beeze

8 hours ago, 2Beeze said:

@Kmangel that sucks. Even if it’s someone’s child you would think they would make some effort to get it back (I would never have dared, even if I had wanted to, as my parents weren’t good with us stealing 🙄). Likelihood I guess would be higher in high traffic areas. Good luck the next time!

When I found our confiscated magnets down a few doors from our door I posted a post it note on the thief’s door to leave my door decorations alone.  Maybe my note made an impact if it was kids stealing the decos. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Kmangel said:

When I found our confiscated magnets down a few doors from our door I posted a post it note on the thief’s door to leave my door decorations alone.  Maybe my note made an impact if it was kids stealing the decos. 

Don't be too quick to assume the people in that cabin took them.  We had "funny" neighbors who got a kick out of taking our fish magnets and reattaching to other cabins down the hallway.  They got such a kick out of our fish magnets, that they went out and bought some at the ports as well.   All those fish were swimming around quite a bit during the whole cruise...but they all made it back to me after collecting them at the end.