Britannia delayed Baltic departure 6th July

Tilly20

Just now, terrierjohn said:

On our recent Aurora cruise I asked reception and they said the average age on our cruise was 72.  I realise that adult only ships will have an older clientele, and family friendly ones will be lower, especially during school holidays, however our experience on these outside school holidays is that P&O have a much older age profile than either Celebrity or Princess, and way older than RCI, all of these my observations on out of school holiday Southampton sailings over the past 8/9 years. 

terrirjohn , your are again quoting a member of reception staff, on a single cruise, on an adult-only ship!  Your personal observations of each cruise line may be correct as you perceive it, but these are not 'facts' and should not be presented as so (which incidentally, I do not think you were attempting to do in your above message 😉 )

12 minutes ago, theweatherman said:

terrirjohn , your are again quoting a member of reception staff, on a single cruise, on an adult-only ship!  Your personal observations of each cruise line may be correct as you perceive it, but these are not 'facts' and should not be presented as so (which incidentally, I do not think you were attempting to do in your above message 😉 )

8 minutes ago, theweatherman said:

No argument here. Simply calling out prejudice wherever it exists and encouraging people to be a little more thoughtful about the 'fact's they present in their postings. 🙂

Most posts on any forum are generally personal observations, giving more or less thought to them cannot make them any less personal.  It is up to those reading these observations to decide whether they are from a reliable source or not, and they should not require prompting from anyone else.

22 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

On our recent Aurora cruise I asked reception and they said the average age on our cruise was 72.  I realise that adult only ships will have an older clientele, and family friendly ones will be lower, especially during school holidays, however our experience on these outside school holidays is that P&O have a much older age profile than either Celebrity or Princess, and way older than RCI, all of these my observations on out of school holiday Southampton sailings over the past 8/9 years. 

It must change from cruise to cruise John as our recent trip on Aurora a couple of weeks ago, the majority of passengers seemed to be around 40-60. There were plenty older but also plenty younger. 

This was a 7 night Spain cruise, so maybe that had something to do with it.

I understand the longer cruises will tend to be older as retired people do not have the work restrictions and, of course, all you pensioners are absolutely minted so can afford the round the world trips...😀

Andy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AndyMichelle said:

It must change from cruise to cruise John as our recent trip on Aurora a couple of weeks ago, the majority of passengers seemed to be around 40-60. There were plenty older but also plenty younger. 

This was a 7 night Spain cruise, so maybe that had something to do with it.

I understand the longer cruises will tend to be older as retired people do not have the work restrictions and, of course, all you pensioners are absolutely minted so can afford the round the world trips...😀

Andy

As someone with an ever decreasing pension that last sentence made me laugh! (I'm in my 50's)

Edited by P&O SUE
  • Like 2

Various statistics are compiled the night before each cruise begins and circulated to heads of department.  Some get drafts earlier. This helps inform activity planning, onboard promotions, service levels etc. One of the senior offices had the summary sheet at a loyalty club event. They knew average age, number of newbies, number of kids, loyalty club info, special events on board, number of special assistance etc etc etc. So reception will have been able to answer your question accurately.

2 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

As someone with an ever decreasing pension that last sentence made me laugh! (I'm in my 50's)

The pensioners of the future those in the 50s will be nowhere near as well off as pensioners of today.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

The pensioners of the future those in the 50s will be nowhere near as well off as pensioners of today.

I'm 53 and it's a constant worry that I won't be able to cruise around the world in my retirement...😀

Andy

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dorsetlad said:

One thing I have noticed of late, is the amount of whingers on this board. Was a time when folks just shrugged their shoulders and made the best of their holiday. It seems that today, lots of people are looking to be upset or offended. Get on with it , I say, life is too short.

I call it 'Compensation Culture' and sorry I blame the American influence for this. It is why we now have what we call a 'Snowflake generation' and why everyone seems to be out for what they can get if the slightest things go wrong. Money, money, money as ABBA said.

75 years ago a generation were on the beaches at Normandy ……. how times change

I'm with you dorsetlad - life is too short. To  my parents we were so blessed to cruise at all !

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AndyMichelle said:

I'm 53 and it's a constant worry that I won't be able to cruise around the world in my retirement...😀

Andy

Really depends on what job you’re doing to say if your pension will afford you the post retirement lifestyle,some jobs with guaranteed final salary will not be adversely affected,those  with a private pension unless there prepared to put a third of there wages into it will lose out.

I will get as much cruising done before I retire than it will be a quick spin around the local pond.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

Really depends on what job you’re doing to say if your pension will afford you the post retirement lifestyle,some jobs with guaranteed final salary will not be adversely affected,those  with a private pension unless there prepared to put a third of there wages into it will lose out.

I will get as much cruising done before I retire than it will be a quick spin around the local pond.

This is so true, we are fortunate enough to have final salary pensions that allow us to cruise whenever we want to.  We are well aware that fewer and fewer people, in the future, are going to be in this fortunate position.  Those of us in our late 50s and 60s really are the lucky ones, better of than those before us and those coming behind us, we really need to stand back and appreciate our situation.

I can't understand the compensation culture.  We have had delays, missed ports and even a cruise that ended 4 days early due to problems with the ship, yes, we have had compensation but we did not chase it and just accepted whatever was offered.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

I call it 'Compensation Culture' and sorry I blame the American influence for this. It is why we now have what we call a 'Snowflake generation' and why everyone seems to be out for what they can get if the slightest things go wrong. Money, money, money as ABBA said.

75 years ago a generation were on the beaches at Normandy ……. how times change

I'm with you dorsetlad - life is too short. To  my parents we were so blessed to cruise at all !

Personally I think that many of us in the Uk are becoming less likely to accept without complaint what we perhaps did in the past, we are less accepting of poor customer service. Like our American cousins we are now more likely to want what we paid for: when we are paying a company for a service that they don’t then delIver we will complain.

At my age no one could ever accuse me of being part of the snowflake generation.

Everyone is of course entitled to their point of view but in my opinion any accusation of “money, money, money” should be aimed at businesses,  not at customers. Surely you should be able to expect what you have paid for?

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

See you on the pond Baz... 

Andy

38 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

Even the final salary pensions in the civil service and local government have changed in the last few years. Final salary has become “career average” for most public sector workers and they don’t get the full state pension as they are contracted out.

Cruise ships will struggle to fill capacity based on retirees, perhaps that’s why they are trying to attract younger people?

4 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Personally I think that many of us in the Uk are becoming less likely to accept without complaint what we perhaps did in the past, we are less accepting of poor customer service. Like our American cousins we are now more likely to want what we paid for: when we are paying a company for a service that they don’t then delIver we will complain.

At my age no one could ever accuse me of being part of the snowflake generation.

Everyone is of course entitled to their point of view but in my opinion any accusation of “money, money, money” should be aimed at businesses,  not at customers. Surely you should be able to expect what you have paid for?

Quite. If people choose not to pursue their legal rights against a company that hasn’t met its obligations under the contract, that’s their prerogative of course.

But you can be very sure indeed that if it’s the other way round, as for example with a customer not paying the full contractual price, the company would expect the contract to be met. And rightly so.

Snowflakes is just a term of abuse thrown about, usually, by people who had a much easier time of it when they were younger, particularly in terms of housing and pensions, but for some reason think youngsters have it easier than they did.

Tabloids like the Mail, Express, Sun and their ilk started it - it appeals to their readership.

58 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Snowflakes is just a term of abuse thrown about, usually, by people who had a much easier time of it when they were younger, particularly in terms of housing and pensions, but for some reason think youngsters have it easier than they did.

Tabloids like the Mail, Express, Sun and their ilk started it - it appeals to their readership.

You obviously have NO idea at all anything about me, my upbringing, my background, my age, my job, my house, my pension and my future income etc .,,,,,,, or the paper I read (but am not brain washed by). I would like to think that I am an intelligent person and I make my own mind up about the world I see around me. I certainly have not come from a background where I have had an 'easier time' ( I wish and so would my late parents ).

I stand by my comment that the compensation culture that came from the USA has turned us in to a culture where we just can't cope if anything is not 100% …………. and as a result people, too easily, seek recompense for the slightest thing that goes wrong instead.

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

Totally agree, and my hubby and I often think we have let things go when we should have made more of a fuss.

I think we have been 'too nice' in the past !

I suppose I am thinking of those who just jump on the compensation bandwagon when they catch a cold.

Not sure if this makes sense :-)

Re my use of the term of the 'snowflake generation' --- I do think we are currently at risk of raising a generation with no resilience when things don t go 100%. I get the feeling that people may not agree but I believe it to be a fact.

2 hours ago, Bazrat said:

For those of you who have read my precious post please note that I am not in my late 50s and my retirement is heading for Prestatyn .  I like North Wales :-)