Nawiliwili: is it a worthwhile stop?

Andi Land

8 hours ago, dockman said:

I have never understood why most cruise ships sailing in/out of Kauai can't seem to take an extra hour or so to cruise offshore along the Na Pali coast line,

Lihue (Nawiliwili) is on the Southeast corner, Na Pali on the Northwest. At 18 knots it would take at least 4 hours to circle the island. Since NCL PoA only does HI, they can afford that time.  And IMO Na Pali is best seen by helicopter anyway.

Edited by catl331

Not talking about "circling the island"....just cruise up the coast line for an hour or so would be a very nice addition to any Kauai cruise. 

I have hiked that coastline as well as seen it from various boats and a ship or two.  It is spectacular.  Other than NCL the ships are normally coming from or going to at least 5 or so  pacific sea days so an extra hour or two is not going to make a lot of difference.  More likely answer is they don't want to burn a relatively insignificant amount of fuel even if it would provide the passengers with a very memorable experience.

13 hours ago, dockman said:

I have never understood why most cruise ships sailing in/out of Kauai can't seem to take an extra hour or so to cruise offshore along the Na Pali coast line, one of the most scenic spots on the planet....my experience is that it seems they are in such a hurry to continue to the next port that they deprive the passengers of a very scenic experience.  Seeing the coastline from the ocean is a very special experience.

My experience of the Na Pali coast was on the S. S. Independence of American Hawaii Cruise Lines.  The scenery was spectacular.  Cruise itineraries that deprive their guests of the view of this area are deficient.  But, these itineraries also cater to those Hawaii cruise guests who, through no fault of their own, don't know better.  Thus, the cruise line is saving some $$ in fuel costs in sailing in that area once they depart Kauai by avoiding the Na Pali coast.  

13 hours ago, dockman said:

I have never understood why most cruise ships sailing in/out of Kauai can't seem to take an extra hour or so to cruise offshore along the Na Pali coast line, one of the most scenic spots on the planet....my experience is that it seems they are in such a hurry to continue to the next port that they deprive the passengers of a very scenic experience.  Seeing the coastline from the ocean is a very special experience.

My experience of the Na Pali coast was on the S. S. Independence of American Hawaii Cruise Lines.  The scenery was spectacular.  Cruise itineraries that deprive their guests of the view of this area are deficient.  But, these itineraries also cater to those Hawaii cruise guests who, through no fault of their own, don't know better.  Thus, the cruise line is saving some $$ in fuel costs in sailing in that area once they depart Kauai by avoiding the Na Pali coast.  

• Like 1

I'll be another to vote a hearty YES for booking an itinerary that includes Kaui - bu far my favourite port in Hawaii, and would not book another cruise there that did not included it!  I kayaked the Wailua riverbranching off to the Opaeka'a stream to its end and then we hiked up to Opaeka'a Falls and back.  It was an absolutely wonderful day!!!!!!  I booked the tour through a local kayak operator and they may or may not still be in business (this was 10+ years ago)

• Like 1

Try to find out how long the docking in Nawilliwilli will be.  We were there for only 5 hours from the Noordam and thus there was not enough time to do much.  I walked from the port into the little shopping/tourist area and there were only a few shops and restaurants, but a lovely beach.  With more time, one could take an interesting bus tour or rent a car.  Kauai is a spectacularly beautiful island but you have to get away from the port.

• Like 1

I am just going to throw a wrench into the situation.  We are booked on the 2020 cruise to Hawaii RT San Diego Our itinerary was supposed to include Nawilliwilli. HAL dropped Nawilliwilli several weeks ago and added an overnight stop in Lahaina. I did not realize this until I looked at my actual itinerary. The website still lists Nawilliwilli. 

Therefore I would be hesitant to book an inconvenient cruise just because the itinerary now includes Nawilliwilli. I would book what is most convenient and look into adding a day trip to Kauai from Honolulu, probably the first day of the overnight.

• Like 1

On 7/10/2019 at 7:05 PM, dockman said:

We have done the NCL 7 day, 4 island cruise twice and the Na Pali coast line is a highlight on the last day.

The helicopter trips on this island are spectacular and that is what I would suggest.

Kauai is the rainiest island so you could get some rain but the island is very scenic and very worthwhile visiting.

Edited by GCHAN
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

We love all the Hawaii islands but found less to do on  Kauai  than the other island ship ports 

My favorite island - and I live in Hawaii (State) for 80-years!

Your ship is only on Kauai for the day and there will be enough for you to do for that day.

Mcrcruiser is correct if you were on Kauai for more than, say, three days but it is a great place to kick your shoes off and just relax!

Edited by tommui987
typo errpr