Getting nervous

Thatssofetch

3 hours ago, newmexicoNita said:

Sure, going outside can result in a bad thing happening. The last thing they should worry about is something bad happening. Why would they have this feeling? Cruising if you are careful might be one of the safest vacations there can be. 

Most of them don't "believe" in cruise vacationing. Only my aunt and future brother-in-law will go. Funny thing is I don't think any of the rest of them have actually been on a cruise, lol. 

17 hours ago, Thatssofetch said:

Hi everyone so we did it and booked our NCL cruise for February 2020. I know it’s a ways away, but everyone in my family/his family is getting me nervous about taking a cruise. Saying all the bad things can can happen. I know it’s silly (this is our Honeymoon Cruise). I have been on two cruises before and was fine or course, but now I’m trying  to ease my nervousness. Any advice/tips? Thanks so much. 

Congratulations on your wedding.

Enjoy your wedding and honeymoon cruise.

Find a new more positive family....LOL! I think this one is just jealous that they don't get to go. 😉

Family members only want what's best for you but sometimes their fears can

be misguided. A friend of mine was beside herself when her daughter took a Mediterranean

Cruise for her honeymoon and tried to talk her out of it. Daughter went anyway and

had a fabulous time and my friend admitted she was wrong. Listen to family, evaluate what they

say and then make up your own mind.

And by the way one of the worst travel problems we ever had was here was on dry land

in rural Iowa. So no place is any worse than others for problems.

21 minutes ago, Peachypooh said:

Family members only want what's best for you but sometimes their fears can

be misguided. A friend of mine was beside herself when her daughter took a Mediterranean

Cruise for her honeymoon and tried to talk her out of it. Daughter went anyway and

had a fabulous time and my friend admitted she was wrong. Listen to family, evaluate what they

say and then make up your own mind.

And by the way one of the worst travel problems we ever had was here was on dry land

in rural Iowa. So no place is any worse than others for problems.

Thank you. We decided to go for it. My aunt is one of the only supporters- she will only travel by cruise, lol.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

If it's my honeymoon, I wouldn't even ask anyone else's opinion.  If they offer it, tell them you're ignoring them as their opinion does not matter (which it doesn't...not one iota).

Thank you. I didn't ask, they asked me where we are going and that's when it started, lol. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Outerdog said:

Typical family drama. If they were invited, I would bet that many of them would change their tune.

Sometimes it's good to tell the family to piss off and mind their own business. Particularly, the gossipy busy-bodies who always have something to say about everything.

THIS! I have family that literally finds every terrible news article ever written about cruising and sends them to me before, during and after the cruise. So I send them back articles about airports, hotels and car rental scams/issues/shutdowns :-) Family sucks sometimes; ignore them and have fun. Cruising is what you make of it. If you go in with a positive attitude (and how could you not being on your honeymoon and away from work!) then you will have a lovely time.

2 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

I'm curious what people are telling you could go wrong.  Curious minds want to know!

We've been on 45 cruises; virtually nothing has ever gone wrong.

Anything you can think of from diseases to the ship sinking, lol. 

7 hours ago, snirpville said:

THIS! I have family that literally finds every terrible news article ever written about cruising and sends them to me before, during and after the cruise. So I send them back articles about airports, hotels and car rental scams/issues/shutdowns 🙂 Family sucks sometimes; ignore them and have fun. Cruising is what you make of it. If you go in with a positive attitude (and how could you not being on your honeymoon and away from work!) then you will have a lovely time.

I empathize!  Loved my dearly departed Mother, but she sure could take the sweetest of lemonade and make it lemons when it came to trying to dissuade me from doing anything that even had a hint of fun attached to it.

Go have fun.  You’ll love it.

19 hours ago, Thatssofetch said:

Most of them don't "believe" in cruise vacationing. Only my aunt and future brother-in-law will go. Funny thing is I don't think any of the rest of them have actually been on a cruise, lol. 

Everything will work out for you I am sure. Our granddaughter got married on a Celebrity ship about 13 years ago. There were 40 plus at the wedding and 23 of us actually sailed, many had not sailed before including the grooms entire family. We had a great time. 

Always remember: we choose our attitude.   We choose how to react.  Yes, things can go "wrong" on a cruise:  but you can choose how you react, and that will dictate the kind of vacation you have.

a cruise can be rerouted and you don't make the stop you were most looking forward to:  you can choose to let that ruin the whole trip, or you can say to yourself "Guess I'll have to get to __ another day" and enjoy the fact you are on a ship at sea.

you can hit rough weather or choppy seas so you can't lay out on the sundeck and get a tan:  you can choose to let that ruin your whole trip, or you can try some new activity you never tried before like napkin folding (or, let's face it, you are on your honeymoon, you can find something to do)

you can not get a table at a certain restaurant on a certain night, or get a tough steak, or they can run out of nutella on the second day of your cruise:  you can choose to let that ruin your trip or you can choose to try a different restaurant or leave your steak on your plate and eat 3 desserts 

If you go with the right attitude, if you don't have a preconceived notion of perfection, and if you choose to have fun, you will.  You're on a boat.  At sea.  With a 24 hour restaurant that will make you french fries and nachos all night long.

Congratulations and good luck!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/14/2019 at 10:30 PM, Thatssofetch said:

Hi everyone so we did it and booked our NCL cruise for February 2020. I know it’s a ways away, but everyone in my family/his family is getting me nervous about taking a cruise. Saying all the bad things can can happen. I know it’s silly (this is our Honeymoon Cruise). I have been on two cruises before and was fine or course, but now I’m trying  to ease my nervousness. Any advice/tips? Thanks so much. 

The only advice I would give is to just stop listening to these people.

Life is too short to waste time with negative opinions. Don’t let people drag you down, and spend more time with positive people. Enjoy yourself and let the negative people ruin their own lives, not yours.

Here is a thought from someone who has been married almost 45 years. It is so difficult as a

young person to start to separate yourself from the opinions of family members but it is important to

do. That said, some people do have valuable information (like if you are moving to a new area

and a relative who  lives there  lets you know the name of a good dentist). I have always felt that

even if I made a decision that turned out not to be the best at least it was my decision.

Enjoy your honeymoon and the start of married life. It is an exciting time and so many milestones

to pass not least of which is to try to ignore the comments of family members.  A relative

once told me that I shouldn't visit NYC because it is a terrible place (forgetting that I was

born there and lived there for decades and they only visited once .LOL  So take comments

with a grain of salt.

Over 50 cruises with only a few minor snafus.  The one thing I suggest is if you are parking at the port in NY, have a couple of shovels in your car along with gloves and a warm coat.  We arrived after a heavy snow/ice storm one December and the parking deck was a mess!

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding.  Relax and enjoy every memorable moment! 

"The secret to life is enjoying the passage of time". (James Taylor)  "You only get one chance at life to leave your mark upon it. And when a pony comes riding by you, better set your sweet ass on it". (Zac Brown) Enjoy your Honeymoon and Cruise.

Congratulations on your upcoming wedoing!  Just relax, & get ready to enjoy your honeymoon!  On practically every cruise we’ve been on, there are always honeymooners, & people celebrating all kinds of milestones!

You are getting some really good advice here, so I will try not to repeat anything, if possible!  

I would say, be prepared!  Try to see all the dining options available on the ship, & decide what you like.  Then, I would say, go ahead & make your reservations as soon as they let you!  Cagney’s, for example, offers a free bottle of wine on the day of sailing!  But if that’s not important, or if you are not sure you would want to eat a big meal on the very first day, then try for another, preferably sea day, at the time you prefer to dine.  Believe me, I see a lot of red dots for all the “good “ times!  Also, you may want to eat a light meal on Day 2, because for me, that’s the most difficult day.  I’m too tired from the stress of packing, planning.

Carry a medical kit with Dramamine, Sea bands, etc.  Also some Pepto, & other simple meds.  Also carry magnets to keep your room organized, carry lanyards for your sea cards.

The reason I am saying all this is, when you start planning details; then you forget to worry about all the what if’s!!  You start thinking about all the fun stuff you will be doing!!  When you do all the planning together, you will start dreaming of all the good things to come!  An added benefit:  your cruise will be even more enjoyable!!

the trick for Dramamine is not to take it a week ahead of time.  Take it about an hour before there’s any possibility of needing it, and then at whatever interval the box says.  A lot of times you’ll acclimate the first day or two and won’t need it afterwards...and of course I’ve found for the most part the seas really aren’t that rough...but I’ve never sailed in February either!  what itinerary?