Sky vs Sun?

Tootsiepop6

The Sky has had the more recent refurb, so I'm guessing it's currently a better option.  Don't expect anything close to the Escape.

FWIW, I've never been on the Sun and it's been years since I've been on the Sky.

• Like 1

Just got off the Sky and she is beautiful. Stayed in the Owners Suite 9201 and loved their attention to details. I was going to book the Sun for next year to compare them and to my dismay the Sun will be doing the Alaska cruises next year.

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Another vote for the Sun.  Great small ship with a very nicely done refurbishment.  Nothing like the mega ships so go into it expecting a more intimate and cozy cruising experience.  We are on the Sun next week and I can't wait!

Would love to hear your thoughts post cruise...My Wife and I are sailing with our Son and his GF in August ( their first cruise) they are in their mid 20’s..and no, we are not sharing a cabin.  We have two balconies on the 10th deck..all free at sea perks, all in. 

5 nighter on 8/19. My Wife and I have only sailed Away class ships, so I know what will not be present, actually looking forward to this cruise on a smaller ship. 

I hope your sail goes well.

• Like 1

Food on Sun is shyte. Probably the same on Sky. People like to say “food taste is subjective” but when the menu is full of low quality items with cheap ingredients such as hamburgers, meatball subs, roast beef (but not a decent steak), filets of fish you’ve never even heard of and pasta with little to no shrimp, that argument doesn’t hold water. IMO MDR food on Sun is the worst I’ve ever experienced on any cruise. So if you go, do speciality. But at that price, you have to wonder if NCL is even worth it when compared to competition.

And the desserts...as someone with a sweet tooth I can’t believe that I actually left food on the table every night. Absolutely awful. 

Edited by CruisingNole
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, CruisingNole said:

Food on Sun is shyte. Probably the same on Sky. People like to say “food taste is subjective” but when the menu is full of low quality items with cheap ingredients such as hamburgers, meatball subs, roast beef (but not a decent steak), filets of fish you’ve never even heard of and pasta with little to no shrimp, that argument doesn’t hold water. IMO MDR food on Sun is the worst I’ve ever experienced on any cruise. So if you go, do speciality. But at that price, you have to wonder if NCL is even worth it when compared to competition.

And the desserts...as someone with a sweet tooth I can’t believe that I actually left food on the table every night. Absolutely awful. 

I’ve read enough of your reviews....sorry...grains of salt come to mind...

That said, MDR maybe once each time on my last 3-4 cruises, it’s not for me..

Edited by PTC DAWG

Regarding the food on the Sun, I have to say that it wasn't the best I've ever had, but it wasn't the worst either.  We had a great embarkation day lunch in the MDR.  I also enjoyed many of the appetizers in the MDR during dinner.  Dinner course was hit and miss and I don't recall taking time for dessert as we preferred to get ice cream from the buffet.  

50 minutes ago, CruisingNole said:

When did you last eat MDR on Sun? 

When you literally  call the food  #$&*....hard to be taken seriously about your food comments...YMMV

Edited by PTC DAWG

3 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

When you literally  call the food  #$&*....hard to be taken seriously about your food comments...YMMV

So you haven’t been on the Sun, yet I have in 2018 and 2019. And my critique is to be taken with a grain of salt? Bwahaha!

55 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Regarding the food on the Sun, I have to say that it wasn't the best I've ever had, but it wasn't the worst either.  We had a great embarkation day lunch in the MDR.  I also enjoyed many of the appetizers in the MDR during dinner.  Dinner course was hit and miss and I don't recall taking time for dessert as we preferred to get ice cream from the buffet.  

Agreed on the appetizers. They were better than the entrees. I could never bring myself to eat from the buffet. It was hot as hell in there, stuffy, full of drunks and just uncomfortable with all the foot traffic. Felt like eating at a trough.  

19 minutes ago, CruisingNole said:

So you haven’t been on the Sun, yet I have in 2018 and 2019. And my critique is to be taken with a grain of salt? Bwahaha!

So you went twice?  I stand by my point. 

Cruise on. 

1 minute ago, PTC DAWG said:

So you went twice?  I stand by my point. 

Cruise on. 

So 2 times makes my critique a “grain of salt” but your 0 times makes you...? You know not what you speak of. Why are you even commenting? Is it to be a cheerleader? I’m sharing a first hand experience from 3 days ago and you are contributing absolutely nothing.

Cruise on...

Seriously Nole, if I was served #$&&$ as you call it, no way I sign up for another cruise. How is that bad logic?  

Far from a Cheerleader, last sailed on MSC, it wasn’t my bag, dead ship at night..have an 11 day Celebrity booked this fall.  

Im not expecting a lot on this 5 day in Aug...but I expect the food in the specialty’s to be fine, and my PPBP to be on point.

BTW, since you’ve sailed the Sun twice, can you find high line BOURBON etc. around the ship? I understand My group is covered up to $30-35 a drink.

Edited by PTC DAWG

16 hours ago, CruisingNole said:

I have been on the Sun twice in the last 18 months and the sky once in the same period... was on the Breakaway a couple of months ago and will be on the Sun in a short while.

By far the worst food was the Breakaway, Sky was next and the Sun was the best. I ate in the MDR/buffet and specialty restaurants. Breakaway steakhouse may as well be local buffet with "sirloin"  as the special. Steak served was not filet, don't care what they said, Baked potato was COLD, how can you screw up a BP?

Am looking forward to our Sun cruise and hoping to come home with only a couple of pounds extra!

Edited by bobsfamily

I have been on the Sun multiple times and the Sky once back in the day when it sailed around Hawaii.  I'll stick with the Sun as it's a proven consistent experience for me.  If I have an issue with the food in the MDR I just bring it to the attention of the wait staff and it's taken care of.  On the rare occasion I'll talk to the Matre'D and he will make it happen.  There is no need to leave the ship unhappy with your experience.  One can also talk to the Hotel Director.  In the past, Brian (HD) has been more then willing to listen and make sure your experience is enjoyable.

In the MDR ask to sit at Raul's table.  Tell him Poppa John recommended him.  You won't be disappointed.  If you really want to make points with him he likes ChipsAhoy Chocolate Chip cookies.