Cruise advice

Rickyz23

Hi guys I had a question hopefully u guys can give me advice. I have sailed once back March of this year on the symphony of the seas now i loved it and will be going back this time taking my wife same ship symphony on October 26-nov 2 western Caribbean I’m panicking a little since it’s hurricane season I was was wondering what to expect any of you have sailed during that time and advice previously experience what to expect would be appreciated  

The best part of being on a ship is they can move out of harms way. They have great weather prediction systems onboard and on land so you will be safe. You may miss a port or divert to another if the weather is bad enough but that ship has so much to do onboard you will still have a great time.

Isn't this a bit like what is the weather like,we first travelled to the USA in 1980,the end of June/beginning of July to be precise,I remember reading a tourist newspaper as we were heading back to the airport for the flight home telling how this was the hurricane season,first we had heard of it ,but being puzzled when Hurricane Andrew hit Florida in March one year!

As long as there is no storm nearby, the seas will be as normal (which is totally unpredictable!).  If there IS a storm, the ship will re-route and go elsewhere...they will not willingly sail through a hurricane or tropical storm, if avoidable!

Just because it's "hurricane season" doesn't mean the seas will be any different than normal.  It simply means they may have to change route/ports to avoid any potential storms.

1 hour ago, snaefell said:

OK so i got the wrong name but I was sure that one hit in March as we were preparing to head out there one year.

Are you referring to the Ash Wednesday storm of 1962 - prolonged high winds of hurricane strength along US east coast?  It was a nor’easter, not a hurricane (which is a particular type of storm developing over the Atlantic or Caribbean building on warm waters in summer and fall).

9 hours ago, Rickyz23 said:

Who do you through for travel insurance 

I used Royals own. I’m sure there are Private insurers that may be cheaper and a better deal but I’ve never bothered to investigate. I know I should. 

I've cruised several times during hurricane season.  As long as the hurricane doesn't hit the port you are leaving from, the worst that will happen is that your route could change so that the ship can sail around the storm.  Two different September cruises of mine were rerouted due to hurricanes and the itineraries completely changed.  I knew the risk when I booked the cruises and did have travel insurance in case they were cancelled.  

Edited by TNcruising02

5 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

I've cruised several times during hurricane season.  As long as the hurricane doesn't hit the port you are leaving from, the worst that will happen is that your route could change so that the ship can sail around the storm.  Two different September cruises of mine were rerouted due to hurricanes and the itineraries completely changed.  I knew the risk when I booked the cruises and did have travel insurance in case they were cancelled.  

There are a few stories of cruise to the Caribbean going to Canada but I believe none left from Florida! 

There's really no way to predict. I've cruised a few times during hurricane season and have been lucky. Calm seas and beautiful weather. I've had a few land vacations disrupted by hurricanes. Your best bet is to buy travel insurance. Also, keep an eye on the tropics as your date gets closer. The Hurricane Zone forum here is very informative and stays really up to date: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/305-hurricane-zone/