Oasis: 2 BR Grand Suite vs. Crown Loft Suite

Currently for an Oasis cruise in March 2021 we have a 2 BR Grand Suite booked for our trip traveling with our kids, who will be 16 and 12 (turning 13 on the cruise). We’re trying to decide whether to switch to a Crown Loft. As far as I can tell, the rooms stack up like this:

2 BR GS:

Full bedroom for the kids, leaves the living room free to use as a sitting room. Larger balcony. But it’s on deck 9, so potentially not as advantageous an area of the ship, and I’ve heard that the fits and finishes in the room aren’t quite as “plush”.

Crown Loft:

Spectacular room, still has 2 bathrooms, very close to Coastal Kitchen and the Suite Lounge. It also “feels” more convenient to the pool deck. But the kids would be sleeping in the living room. We usually ask for a rollaway bed for our younger one so they don’t have to share a bed, so between that and the foldout couch it will make it difficult to use the downstairs as a sitting room. 

Price is fairly similar within our margin of comfort, so that isn’t our deciding factor. Any advice from those who’ve been in these room categories? 

We are staying in the 2BR in september, so I can’t speak from experience...but when we were making this same decision, the privacy factor tipped the scales for us. There was more space to hang out if/when the kids are sleeping. You can access the balcony from the bedroom (at least in our suite you can) without walking past anyone, and if you’re up early, you can access the living room without disturbing anyone. That was a big deciding factor as we all go to bed at different times. I imagine that older older kids would appreciate their own space more.  But that’s just a guess.  I don’t think you can go wrong either way!

I've been in a Crown Loft and yes, one would need to sleep on the sofa bed and the other on a rollaway cot (twin size). We had that same set up a couple of years ago and it actually wasn't bad at all. I would definitely do it again. The sofa bed becomes a regular sofa during the day and you can choose to leave the cot out or put it up also during the day so that it doesn't impede your space. We kept the cot out and used the sofa and we still had plenty of space for four to maneuver around in the room.

I had a 2BR Grand Suite booked for this October and just changed it on Sunday to a 2BR AQ suite in September. I can't give a first hand review but I wasn't excited about the thought of it, although privacy would be much better with everyone having bedrooms to sleep in and being able to use the living space while someone is sleeping. Basically, I don't think you can go wrong with either. I do like the location of CL suites better but the 2BR might be better with the kids. It's nice up on the 17th floor with easy access to the suite lounge and CK.

You may disagree, but I've been in 2 Crown Loft Suites (Oasis, Harmony) and I can't go back to any other cabin type at this point.  The GS pales in comparison IMO.  Yes, it has more floor space but the airiness of the CLS and the location on deck 17 near the suite lounge and Coastal Kitchen, plus only 1 floor above Windjammer + 2 floors above the pool deck make it very convenient indeed.  It's a long ride down to the promenade and boardwalk, but I didn't find this to be too much of an inconvenience. 

You are correct that there probably would not be a ton of room left with the couch pulled into a bed and another bed laid down beside it, but there will be some.  Here's a view of our sofa bed folded out + floor space on Harmony, Oasis should be exactly the same:

y19XJk4.jpg

Depending on width, the bed could go by the phone - we brought an twin air mattress for our 4yo on Oasis, and it fit there perfectly.

Also, be aware that the curtain on the 2nd floor is pretty flimsy, so there's very little privacy upstairs.  We usually went into the upstairs bathroom to change when the kids were downstairs.

Edited by PlanetX
Added photo of sofa bed folded out
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, PlanetX said:

Also, be aware that the curtain on the 2nd floor is pretty flimsy, so there's very little privacy upstairs.  We usually went into the upstairs bathroom to change when the kids were downstairs.

Just for changing🤔😁😇

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I have not stayed in either but my son  has stayed in a Sky Loft suite before. There are 2 things I did not care for. One thing is the stairs to get up to the bedroom /upper bathroom. DW can't do stairs. The other thing is, if you have more than 2 people staying in the cabin someone is sleeping on a pull out sofa. Our son had his 4 year old daughter sleeping on the couch which was ok but I think if you had older kids I would like them to have an actual bed. For what it costs for this room I don't think anyone should have to sleep on a couch. 

• Like 1

I haven't been in a CL yet but have stayed in a 2BR GS with our adult daughter. It is true the furnishing are not very suite like and it is away from CK and SL, but I would get the GS over the CL with 2 teenagers just for the separate rooms. And the deck was huge which was nice. Maybe do a CL when it is just you two and no kids.

This is helpful, thank you! We’re still really torn....the Crown Loft has an undeniable “cool” factor that makes us excited. I’m sure the GS is great, but it isn’t quite as exciting, although arguably far more functional. My parents will also be with us in a 1 BR Grand Suite, currently just a few doors down from our current 2 BR, so that’s either a good or bad thing depending on how you look at it! 

5 hours ago, molsonschooner said:

I have not stayed in either but my son  has stayed in a Sky Loft suite before. There are 2 things I did not care for. One thing is the stairs to get up to the bedroom /upper bathroom. DW can't do stairs. The other thing is, if you have more than 2 people staying in the cabin someone is sleeping on a pull out sofa. Our son had his 4 year old daughter sleeping on the couch which was ok but I think if you had older kids I would like them to have an actual bed. For what it costs for this room I don't think anyone should have to sleep on a couch. 

It's probably primarily designed for a couple.

FWIW, the Royal Suite on Serenade has a sofa bed. 😉

When we started sailing with our kids it was in quads which is probably why I don't even want to be on the same deck now that they're adults with children. Anyway, we prefer the CLS but there's just two of us. If we had two teenagers I'd forego it for the 2 bedrooms.

4 hours ago, glamourpup said:

This is helpful, thank you! We’re still really torn....the Crown Loft has an undeniable “cool” factor that makes us excited. I’m sure the GS is great, but it isn’t quite as exciting, although arguably far more functional. My parents will also be with us in a 1 BR Grand Suite, currently just a few doors down from our current 2 BR, so that’s either a good or bad thing depending on how you look at it! 

I would stick with the "2 BR GS".  (formerly known as a Royal Family Suite)  Cool factor...…..pffffft.  You have two kids.  Make it easier for everyone by giving them their own bedroom with their own beds.  🙂  

As a mom, I'm also going to vote for the 2BR GS.  

One other option is to put the kids in a room across the hall from Grandma and Grandpa (Boardwalk or Central Park view?) and just have the two of you in the Crown Loft together.  Downside to that is the kids wouldn't have access to the Suite Lounge, Coastal Kitchen, etc.

8 hours ago, brillohead said:

As a mom, I'm also going to vote for the 2BR GS.  

One other option is to put the kids in a room across the hall from Grandma and Grandpa (Boardwalk or Central Park view?) and just have the two of you in the Crown Loft together.  Downside to that is the kids wouldn't have access to the Suite Lounge, Coastal Kitchen, etc.

That’s a great option, but sadly my younger son has special needs and it would be difficult to put him in a different room. 

Looks like the consensus is to stick with the 2BR, which I’m sure is an amazing room that we will love! 

Edited by glamourpup
  • Like 2

On 7/24/2019 at 11:11 AM, PlanetX said:

You may disagree, but I've been in 2 Crown Loft Suites (Oasis, Harmony) and I can't go back to any other cabin type at this point.  The GS pales in comparison IMO.  Yes, it has more floor space but the airiness of the CLS and the location on deck 17 near the suite lounge and Coastal Kitchen, plus only 1 floor above Windjammer + 2 floors above the pool deck make it very convenient indeed.  It's a long ride down to the promenade and boardwalk, but I didn't find this to be too much of an inconvenience. 

You are correct that there probably would not be a ton of room left with the couch pulled into a bed and another bed laid down beside it, but there will be some.  Here's a view of our sofa bed folded out + floor space on Harmony, Oasis should be exactly the same:

y19XJk4.jpg

Depending on width, the bed could go by the phone - we brought an twin air mattress for our 4yo on Oasis, and it fit there perfectly.

I TOTALLY AGREE!  I stayed in a Crown Loft suite last December and will be in one again this December.  We're booked on Symphony one last time Dec. 20 when I'll be back in a GS.  I LOVE THE CROWN LOFT SUITE hands down!!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

We have sailed the CL with two children 9 and 7 and we loved it. Yes there isn’t a ton of privacy but there’s a big bathroom upstairs and we spent a lot of time on the balcony enjoying the view. I wouldn’t sail in any other room. You do not feel like you’re on a cruise ship so bright and airy. 

DW and I have a 2BR GS booked for April 2020. one of the reason is that her friend, since 7th grade, is going with us. we have the GS booked on deck 12. because it is on deck 12 it has a hot tube plus a table and chairs for 6 or 8 (don't remember how many). if we had teenagers we would definitely go with the 2BR GS.

if you go to you tube there are videos of this suite.