Carnival Horizon - Deck 1, 2, or 3

beshears

I am planning on booking 4 rooms on the Carnival Horizon, which I have never been on before.  If you have been on the Horizon, and booked a lower deck of 1, 2 or 3, would you tell me if it is worth booking a lower deck, other than saving money?   I may be wrong, but each deck we move up, isn't the cost more?  If you want to give me the pros/cons of YOUR opinion of an upper deck (inner room), compared to a lower deck, I would live to read YOUR opinion.

If those are the only choices, I would book deck 1, since it’s got cabins above it. I tend to book lower decks most of the time. Very easy to get to your cabin when coming back from excursions, and there are a lot of people waiting for elevator.

Most of the action will be on decks 3-5, except for windjammer.

And if anyone is prone to seasickness, lower is better.

Although a trick I learned, if on a higher deck. Walk up one deck and go over to the next set of elevators and use those. 

Edited by crzndeb

The elevators on Carnival Horizon don't work the normal way.  You select a deck that you want to go to, and it tells you which elevator to use.  Going up or down one deck to avoid a crowd will not give you any advantage, in my opinion

Deck 2 on this ship has cove balcony rooms.

Family Harbor is on Deck 2 also, mid-ship to aft.

David

We stayed in an interior on deck 8 of Horizon. We prefer to be a little higher up, however our bigger concern is ensuring there are only cabins above and below and the specific location of the cabin.  In our case, we like mid-ship or at least somewhere near it and not near anything big/public e.g. IMAX. 

Enjoy! 

Oh thank you ALL for your wonderful responses.  I was just with my son/d-i-l and he works for the school board.  I was planning March 29th, but since he has 7 children, you can guess, money is tight at times.  This way, if I book it when school is out for Easter, he won't lose any vacation time, so it looks like I will move it up a week or two, and "hopefully," here in KC, MO we won't have a bad ice/snow storm to keep us grounded, like it has done to me more than one time.  That is why I normally book at the end of March, or first part of April, but I didn't want to run into Easter time on the ship.

OK, it was mentioned in regard to the elevators, that we select a deck we want to go to, and it will tell us "what" elevator to use???  Do we pick the deck before we get on the elevator, or what?  This seems confusing, but it may not be.

Another question, what deck is used to get on/off the ship?

Also, if you have been on the "6 day" cruise, is there 1 or 2 formal nights?

On the Carnival Horizon last summer, I was in an inside room on Deck 1, right by the Aft Elevators. Really convenient to have easy access to the Lido Marketplace and Ocean Plaza (for Trivia). The only problems were waiting for the elevators, and having to stop at every level until Deck 10.

For the elevator question....

You go to a screen outside the elevators and click on the deck you want to go to.  It tells you which elevator to take e.g. Elevator A, B, C, D, etc.  Then on that same screen you click the deck you are going to again for each person in your party. It really is easy. I think people just don't like that it is different. There are no buttons inside the elevators to click deck numbers. 

1 hour ago, mets07 said:

For the elevator question....

You go to a screen outside the elevators and click on the deck you want to go to.  It tells you which elevator to take e.g. Elevator A, B, C, D, etc.  Then on that same screen you click the deck you are going to again for each person in your party. It really is easy. I think people just don't like that it is different. There are no buttons inside the elevators to click deck numbers. 

In addition.....the major problem is that you need to touch the button once for each member of your party, so if there are 4 of you, you need to hit the button four times so the system knows how many people will be getting on.  This is not explained and families were hitting the button once, four people get on and then on the next floor, the system thinks only only person got on when in fact it was four and there is a possible full elevator if a few people were already on there.

And someone in an electric wheelchair needs to hit the button 3 times since they take up that much space on an elevator.

5 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Horizon is a Carnival ship, not a Royal Caribbean ship. If someone looks for Windjammer on Horizon they will never find it.   

Yes, my bad....I always interchange Lido and Windjammer. I even confuse myself. I should just stick to Buffet, which covers both. LOL

Another thought:  since you are going to be traveling with a big group with children, it may be worth it to look into the Family Harbor rooms.  There's a dedicated lounge space for that area with snacks and beverages.  Just make sure your cabins aren't underneath the galley...I have heard it can get loud there!

Thank you for the explanation of how to use the elevators "correctly." 🙂    Now that I have all this info from you all, my children are now wanting to see what a balcony/ocean view cost would be.  I know the inner room is cheaper.  My question if you know, what would be the lowest balcony on the Horizon, or how can I find out?  Also, wouldn't the higher I go up on decks, wouldn't the balcony cost more?  I'm not a balcony person, as I don't spend that much time there, or hardly any.  I'm just checking this out for other members of my family.