hotel needed in miami for cruise

frannie

we are sailing on the mereviglia march 29/2020 can anyone suggest a good clean hotel close to the port . there are 5 of us so we need 2 rooms . We are canadian so we need something not too expensive with th 30% exchange rate we need to pay . We only need 1 night before the cruise . Checked the holiday inn 340 biscayne blvd but it is booked for march 28th 

If you chose one of the hotels n the Blue Lagoon area (assuming they are cheaper than those in downtown Miami) after dropping off your luggage (even if the rooms aren't ready yet) you can take their shuttle to the airport and then catch the airport flyer bus to Miami Beach for the day for less than $3 p/p person each way.  When our DS and DIL got married in Miami Beach, lots of the guests took the bus and spoke very highly of the experience (clean, cheap and on schedule).  Miami Beach is a great place to spend the day sightseeing, people watching and eating!

https://lincolnroadmall.com/from-mia-to-south-beach-the-airport-flyer-express-bus-is-fast-easy-convenient-and-only-2-35/

https://www8.miamidade.gov/transportation-publicworks/routes_detail.asp?route=150

i think wherever we go we will just get a hotel with a pool . our 7 yearold grandaughter is with us and do not want to do a lot of roaming around . just get settled enjoy the day and wait for the cruise 

2 minutes ago, frannie said:

i think wherever we go we will just get a hotel with a pool . our 7 yearold grandaughter is with us and do not want to do a lot of roaming around . just get settled enjoy the day and wait for the cruise 

Then one of the hotels in the Blue Lagoon area should suffice - have you checked the pricing?  I just googled blue lagoon miami hotels for March 28th and they range in price from $152 (hampton inn) to $287 (hyatt house).  Some may have 2 bedroom suites which might save you money over reserving 2 separate rooms.

Hotel prices anywhere in Florida are ridiculous in the winter/spring, particularly in March.  Just make sure you stay in safe areas, there are some rough areas near downtown.  Blue Lagoon area is nice, just south of the airport so most hotels have shuttles and not too far from the port.  

• Like 1

Staying close to the port is expensive, but several hotels are quite nice. We particularly enjoyed the Intercontinental, as we had a room with a view of the port. Really cool to see your ship docked when you get out of bed. 

26 minutes ago, frannie said:

yes would love to stay there but cost is a factor and with our dollar difference 30% is a lot to pay more

If cost is a factor, and you want a pool, quiet, and comfort, there is a couple that are under $180 per room:

1.  Holiday Inn Express and Suite Miami Airport East (rated 4.4 out of 5, with free breakfast)

2.  Element Miami Airport (rated 4.3 out of 5, with free breakfast)

Not much in the way of frills, but you are secure at either.

We always stay at Best Western on the Bay Inn and Marina.  Then we Uber our way to the cruise terminal. They have a restaurant, bar and a nice pool.  You can also take a nice walk over the bridge and there is a Walgreens and some stores that way.  If you walk the other way we found a Dunkin Donuts in a gas station and a nice italian restaurant to eat at.  It is convenient when you don't have a car.  Last time I got a bayfront room for no extra.  We will be there again in March!

On 8/22/2019 at 2:48 PM, frannie said:

it may but we land at 930 am so thought we would do the transfer to miami the day we get in rather than the day we sail

On 8/23/2019 at 7:08 PM, frannie said:

well i got tired of looking . Told our TA to book us in the Hilton Blue Lagoon Miami . Now all we need is a transfer to the hotel from the fort lauderdale airport when we land 

you don't need a transfer. Uber works perfectly in florida and its cheap. 

On 8/23/2019 at 7:08 PM, frannie said:

well i got tired of looking . Told our TA to book us in the Hilton Blue Lagoon Miami . Now all we need is a transfer to the hotel from the fort lauderdale airport when we land 

There are several I've been looking for transportation to Miami from Ft. L and here are a couple I found http://www.lauderdaleexpress.com/.   https://www.gojiffyjeff.com/rates/

and http://www.cruiseshuttleflorida.com/other-destinations/

Haven't used them but I will be using one of them in Nov. 2019

On 8/22/2019 at 2:48 PM, frannie said:

We are canadian so we need something not too expensive ..........

How are getting from FLL to Miami?

I have a suggestion book into the Holiday Inn, Sheridan Street, Hollywood, FLL - they have a free shuttle from the FLL airport, great hotel. Then in the morning it’s a very short walk to Sheridan Street Tri-Rail Station, costs $3.75pp direct into MIA airport.  Then it’s a fixed rate $27 taxi to POM or if you wish to save even more - enroute to Miami you can connect with the Metro-rail to Brickell, then call Uber to POM.  You can see the ship, so you are very close cost less than $10.

Edited by mickey89

I spend about 1/3 of my life in Miami in hotels for professional obligations.  I very highly recommend the Marriott Biscayne Bay for cruising.  I also highly recommend the JW Marriott Marquis in Brickell.  Biscayne Bay does a lot of cruise port business, and will accommodate many of your needs, and the view of the port can't be beat.  

• Like 1