Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
tface023

Hurricane Dorian talk

Recommended Posts

So a point my husband just brought up, do we really want our car sitting in a garage ON THE WATER during at Cat 3 potentially Cat 4 storm? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Out of curiosity, about how much would it cost for an insurance plan that would recoup your flights, incidentals, and cruise fare given that the cruise isn't cancelled?  About what percentage of the cruise cost?  Would this be covered by RCCL standard insurance or is this only covered by using outside coverage?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From FB post

 

Currently on the Mariner B2B.   At our B2B meeting tonight, we were given the option of departing tomorrow or staying onboard and cruising Tomorrow to Cozumel and returning to Port Canaveral on either Tuesday the 3rd or possibly Wednesday the 4th.  That means no Mariner sailing from Port Canaveral on Sept 2 as we’ll be safe and sound in Mexico!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Flamingo33 said:

So a point my husband just brought up, do we really want our car sitting in a garage ON THE WATER during at Cat 3 potentially Cat 4 storm? 

 

Upper decks pretty high off the ground.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, brookmill18 said:

Out of curiosity, about how much would it cost for an insurance plan that would recoup your flights, incidentals, and cruise fare given that the cruise isn't cancelled?  About what percentage of the cruise cost?  Would this be covered by RCCL standard insurance or is this only covered by using outside coverage?

 

Top-notch insurance for an entire trip (cruise, airfare, hotels, car, yadda) with good evac and medical coverage is usually 8-10% of the total trip cost.  You can find better deals with very reliable companies (Allianz, Travelx, etc.) instead of buying from RCI.

Edited by mk-ultra

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

From FB post

 

Currently on the Mariner B2B.   At our B2B meeting tonight, we were given the option of departing tomorrow or staying onboard and cruising Tomorrow to Cozumel and returning to Port Canaveral on either Tuesday the 3rd or possibly Wednesday the 4th.  That means no Mariner sailing from Port Canaveral on Sept 2 as we’ll be safe and sound in Mexico!

Sounds like your hosed for you Monday Mariner Cruise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

 

Upper decks pretty high off the ground.

Yes that true, and while it is in a garage and there isnt much of a chance of damage from wind, is it worth the risk?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Flamingo33 said:

So a point my husband just brought up, do we really want our car sitting in a garage ON THE WATER during at Cat 3 potentially Cat 4 storm? 

 

That's what happened at Galveston years ago.  Many cars were destroyed by the surge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Host Clarea said:

 

That's what happened at Galveston years ago.  Many cars were destroyed by the surge.

 

No parking on ground floor of T1

I dont have details about Galveston,  but if a surge affects the second deck of T1 I'd be blown away. It's about 20' above sea level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Flamingo33 said:

Yes that true, and while it is in a garage and there isnt much of a chance of damage from wind, is it worth the risk?

 

I wouldn't park at the port with the winds they are predicting.  I would be afraid that all the cars would be blown together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Flamingo33 said:

Yes that true, and while it is in a garage and there isnt much of a chance of damage from wind, is it worth the risk?

 

Terminal 1 in Cape Canaveral is the safest place on the island. Built to crazy hurricane specs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, reallyitsmema said:

 

I wouldn't park at the port with the winds they are predicting.  I would be afraid that all the cars would be blown together.

 

Honestly,  this is where all the locals want to park

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

 

Terminal 1 in Cape Canaveral is the safest place on the island. Built to crazy hurricane specs

 

^^This. After Andrew, all hurricane codes became much stricter across the state. I would worry most about storm surge if I was parking my car near the water. If it is coupled with the regular high tide, it can easily reach twenty feet.

 

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/surge/

 

However, once a storm reaches Cat 3? I’m out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I booked my airfare through Air2Sea, do you think they’d let me cancel it for a refund before RC makes a decision?

 

I'm starting to worry that even if I can get on on Sunday, there might be a lot of damage a week later and I’d have trouble getting back to the airport. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

 

Honestly,  this is where all the locals want to park

 

They aren't local, they are from Orlando.  Different story for locals.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

 

Terminal 1 in Cape Canaveral is the safest place on the island. Built to crazy hurricane specs

Sorry, we at leaving out of Lauderdale....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, tface023 said:

If I booked my airfare through Air2Sea, do you think they’d let me cancel it for a refund before RC makes a decision?

Not likely. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Flamingo33 said:

Sorry, we at leaving out of Lauderdale....

 

Lauderdale and Miami allow ground level parking,  as do the other garages in PC. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

 

They aren't local, they are from Orlando.  Different story for locals.  

 

Why, it's either protected or not protected?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, tface023 said:

If I booked my airfare through Air2Sea, do you think they’d let me cancel it for a refund before RC makes a decision? ....

 

Call them, some fares are fully refundable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Host Clarea said:

 

Call them, some fares are fully refundable.

Mine specifically says it’s not refundable. But it seems like they might make an exception in this case.  I’ll call them tomorrow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

 

Why, it's either protected or not protected?

 

 

They are from Orlando, they could keep the car away from an area that is going to be hit harder by the storm and get dropped at Port Canaveral.  A local in a flood area would be much better off putting their car in the garage.  A possible bump by another car beats it being flooded out and totaled.  They are headed to Ft Lauderdale anyway, so it is a different story.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

From FB post

 

Currently on the Mariner B2B.   At our B2B meeting tonight, we were given the option of departing tomorrow or staying onboard and cruising Tomorrow to Cozumel and returning to Port Canaveral on either Tuesday the 3rd or possibly Wednesday the 4th.  That means no Mariner sailing from Port Canaveral on Sept 2 as we’ll be safe and sound in Mexico!

Well that info is not totally correct. I am on Mariner tomorrow and direct from RCCL the ship is going to Nassau and then to Labadee and wont return until Wednesday at 3pm. So yeah, those folks scheduled to board Monday should know by now they no longer have a cruise. Also if you opt out tomorrow you will be given a  future cruise credit in the amount of your purchase

Edited by rolloman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Royal isn't going to bring any ships into Port Canaveral on Sunday and Probably won't Monday either. Tropical force and Hurricane force winds will prevent prohibit that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations

Announcements

×
×
  • Create New...