It’s so trivial but Celebrity can no longer afford prizes for trivia.

C 2 C

HAL gives away little ship pins that are worth about 3 cents (and they give them to everyone on the last day), but that does not stop the cheaters.  One group on my last cruise had their notebook and sat in the far corner of the room by themselves and didn't exchange their sheet with anyone, and of course they always "won."  They do it for bragging rights, I guess. 

HAL also re-uses questions.  We did Alaska on them last year and Caribbean this year, and there were several repeat questions throughout the week.  I knew most of the answers the first time but I also managed to get at least one of them wrong both times!

The only way to prevent this would be for the cruise ships to get new questions from different sources and stop repeating them so much.  Having an electronic game would actually go a long way toward that goal. 

I like the repeat questions with "correct" answers when the original answers were wrong.

1. When was the great San Francisco earthquake?  Answer:  1908.

2. What country was the Titanic closest to when it sank?  Answer:  Halifax.

3. What country was Columbus from?  Answer:  Italy.

4. How many American Presidents have the first name of William?  Answer:  3

3 hours ago, keesar said:

There are cruisers who have been on for many weeks and show up for trivia.  Guess what?  Some  answer the questions before they are finished.  And who ever is in their group ends up being on the winning team in most cases.  Then there are the ones who "are checking their email"....

I vote for no prizes as even the insignificant ones  can bring out the worse in some people.

The Activity Hosts know what is going on.  

The marriage show is another one. 

2 hours ago, SoCalTraveler said:

I like the repeat questions with "correct" answers when the original answers were wrong.

And I will bet a team or two had the same answers as above!😀

3 minutes ago, keesar said:

And I will bet a team or two had the same answers as above!😀

We have also had:

How many Israeli prime ministers were born in Russia.  Answer:  1.  (This question does not actually turn on how you define Russia.  The answer of 1 is wrong with any definition.)

How many notes are in a musical scale.  Answer:  8.  (On this one, an actual music professor corrected the tour director, and he accepted the correction.)

What is the meeting called when a group gets together to select a new pope?  Answer:  conclave.  (In this one, "Papal Conclave" was actually rejected.) 

We have played many trivia games on board, and the best "quiz masters" make sure that there are no devices in sight, and that everyone exchanges papers with another team to check answers. Each question is read twice only, and they do not reread the questions at the end. You are allowed to make notes during the quiz. Winners are awarded tickets to be redeemed for trinkets on the last cruise day. If the trivia is not being run fairly, we won't bother going. Mistakes can be made, but we wouldn't make a big deal about them. We once had a activity host who insisted that the longest river in the world was the Amazon. Lots of Nova Scotian Canadians will be surprised to learn that Halifax is a country!

1 minute ago, frteach said:

We have played many trivia games on board, and the best "quiz masters" make sure that there are no devices in sight, and that everyone exchanges papers with another team to check answers. Each question is read twice only, and they do not reread the questions at the end. You are allowed to make notes during the quiz. Winners are awarded tickets to be redeemed for trinkets on the last cruise day. If the trivia is not being run fairly, we won't bother going. Mistakes can be made, but we wouldn't make a big deal about them. We once had a activity host who insisted that the longest river in the world was the Amazon. Lots of Nova Scotian Canadians will be surprised to learn that Halifax is a country!

We actually had a large number of Canadians playing trivia with us on that cruise.  Some of them said that the correct answer was Newfoundland, as Newfoundland was a separate Dominion at the time of the Titanic sinking.  In any event, I've been to Halifax twice, and while Halifax has a museum and cemetery dedicated to Titanic victims, it is not a country.  Our host finally gave in and accepted, begrudgingly, Canada.  

4 minutes ago, frteach said:

That's why we sit way in the back out of the view of the quiz masters and most everyone else as "unofficial for the fun of it" players. We like our stress-free version, but understand many love the competitiveness of the game. We used to play with teams, but now have more fun this way. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, frteach said:

I was about to comment on Halifax as I do live there. I would be arguing that answer

I challenged one a few years back and won.. What is the main ingredient in Pepsi? They said sugar.. I said water/. We got the can to prove it. The official trivia answer was sugar

• Like 1

Do you really need a prize?  Trivia games are just for entertainment. We used to do trivia until people started to criticize us.  The questions are really easy. However, some people have limited trivia knowledge. They accused us of cheating. We never cheated.  The prizes were really not important. We often gave them away or just left them on the ship. We stopped participating in trivia.  Unfortunately, some people need a prize. What happened to just having fun.  No prize needed!

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

Halifax is not a country .  It’s a province within the country of Canada

History trivia:  Halifax is not a province.  It is a city in the province of Nova Scotia in the country of Canada.  And the Titanic sank off the coast of Newfoundland which was at that time a British dominion prior to joining confederation in Canada in 1949.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

RCL had cut back prizes to only be a tally by the end of the cruise, instead of per event, (e.g. if you have 10 points at the end you can get a pen) so unsurprising Celebrity also cut back.

I am always happy to get a "clicki-pen".  I have had one from Celebrity for about 3 years.... :)

7 hours ago, keesar said:

There are cruisers who have been on for many weeks and show up for trivia.  Guess what?  Some  answer the questions before they are finished.  And who ever is in their group ends up being on the winning team in most cases.  Then there are the ones who "are checking their email"....

I vote for no prizes as even the insignificant ones  can bring out the worse in some people.

The Activity Hosts know what is going on.  

Newsflash! It’s not the prizes that bring out the worst in people...it’s people!

I once won a trivia game and a group of about eight actually complained that I shouldn’t win because I wasn’t in a team!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, frteach said:

I laughed when i read that too! We live in Nova Scotia 🙂  We go to Trivia to test ourselves and have always met the nicest people and end up forming teams with our new friends. We have never won and don't care. 

• Like 1

Halifax is a town in England! 😉

we had a woman blow up on us at the first or second trivia of the week last week. The question was “in which country is the abandoned town of Pripyat?”, to which many answered Russia (wrong, it’s Ukraine). There was a bonus point for why the town existed, and, of course I said Chernobyl. When we swapped papers back, she gave me one point, so I went to point it out and she insisted I was wrong because I didn’t say it was to house the workers! She then went into a rant and accused me very loudly of caring too much!

8 hours ago, bEwAbG said:

The only way to prevent this would be for the cruise ships to get new questions from different sources and stop repeating them so much.

That would certainly be easy enough to do, if the activities staff cared enough to put in a little bit of time and effort to do it, instead of recycling the same questions cruise after cruise after cruise.

They are well aware that they are going to have repeat cruisers, and it is obvious that they don't care.

Maybe if enough honest passengers were to speak up and disqualify themselves, stating aloud for all to hear  "That is the same question you asked on the last cruise" it might embarrass them into coming up with some new material.

10 hours ago, SoCalTraveler said:

Halifax is not a country. It’s a city in the province of Nova Scotia in Canada