NCL PRIDE OF AMERICA HAS CANCELLED ALL MAY 2020 SAILINGS

CRAZYCROSS

3 minutes ago, CRAZYCROSS said:

Thanks for letting me know - I couldn't see anything. We were planning to do the cruise and had booked our flights and accommodation to Honolulu then they took off the cruise so having to try and re-schedule.

Oh dear, it is so far out for you to book flights - even though you didn’t book the cruise first.

We book flights when we’ve paid the cruise in full at the final payment due date (4 months before cruise).

The complaint that hallux mentioned about the cancellation was from somebody who also booked the flights!

1 minute ago, bluesea777 said:

Oh dear, it is so far out for you to book flights - even though you didn’t book the cruise first.

We already had flights for our cancelled cruise (April 25). We always try to purchase air as soon as it opens if we’re using miles.

We booked the cruise, then purchased air right after. My husbands ticket was booked using miles, and the amount required has gone up tremendously since we booked our original flights. 

• Like 1

Thats awful for you. When I originally saw it blanked out for May, I called NCL and they said there was cabins left and it wasn't going into dry dock as it hadn't long been refurbished. Then the next day they called to say it was going into dry dock 😖

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, CRAZYCROSS said:

I haven't noticed this in the Cruise Critic News but I may have missed it. The Pride of America is going into dry dock for the month of May 2020. 

Yes, there already is a long thread about this. I hope it doesn't disappoint to many and those who are booked can work something out that will be satisfactory for all. 

17 hours ago, CRAZYCROSS said:

Thats awful for you. When I originally saw it blanked out for May, I called NCL and they said there was cabins left and it wasn't going into dry dock as it hadn't long been refurbished. Then the next day they called to say it was going into dry dock 😖

Last drydock was March 2016.  So at a minimum 2021.  Some of the older ships have to go more frequently but not sure if it applies here.

There have been a couple of threads re: this.  The longest one mostly addressed NCL's compensation viz air travel reservations that had been made by folks going on these cruises.

Remember that PoA is a US-flagged ship and is therefore unique in NCL's fleet.  There also may be US-specific regulations/laws re: dry docking and refurbishment for US-flagged ships such as PoA. 

I was just on this ship for 2 weeks. Maintenance scheduling and contractors has a lot more involved on this particular ship.    I’d also caution against booking cruises around those timeframes.      It’s a fantastic itinerary.     

• 1 month later...

Anything mentioned about a substitution using the JEWEL ?

The JEWEL is due to reposition from Australia/New Zealand through Hawaii about that time

before entering Alaska seasonal service.

There maybe alternatives with other cruise lines from the US mainland (10 day cruises) -

Princess Holland-America etc.

You could still do a cruise-less Hawaiian vacation - May is low peak before the summer hoards.

You would not have cancel those airline reservations - YES I know not same thing but what are

the alternatives ?

At least NCL gave you a time frame to work with - hopefully adequate compensation

8 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

The JEWEL is due to reposition from Australia/New Zealand through Hawaii about that time

There maybe alternatives with other cruise lines from the US mainland (10 day cruises) -

You could still do a cruise-less Hawaiian vacation - May is low peak before the summer hoards.

You would not have cancel those airline reservations - YES I know not same thing but what are

the alternatives ?

At least NCL gave you a time frame to work with - hopefully adequate compensation

Jewel would have to do a Fanning Island cruise (8-10 day), and I'm not sure NCL has kept the Fanning Island compound up.

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, GA Dave said:

Just found this.  It might help people with planning.

NCL Dry Docks

sorry to hi-jack this thread, but just saw that the Gem will be in drydock in Boston in November 2020 for about two weeks (11/13 to 11/29). I wonder if that is just maintenance/paint/new furniture, etc. Or does a two week stop indicate more than the routine stuff?

Edited by kenns

57 minutes ago, kenns said:

sorry to hi-jack this thread, but just saw that the Gem will be in drydock in Boston in November 2020 for about two weeks (11/13 to 11/29). I wonder if that is just maintenance/paint/new furniture, etc. Or does a two week stop indicate more than the routine stuff?

Joining your hijack for a moment...I think the Gem drydock has been canceled. There's a 10 day cruise out of NY on November 20th. I was originally booked on the one on the 30th, and it wasn't until after I canceled that I saw the previous one. I think it was added sometime this past November. 

On 11/7/2019 at 11:07 PM, don't-use-real-name said:

the alternatives ?

I am from Hawaii and May is an excellent time.  You won't go to all the islands, but the Maui stop on POA is bad.  It is on the other side in an industrial dock.  I don't like the Big Island (Hawaii) except the Kona side, and the nice stop is only Kauai.  Maybe you can just go to one island and enjoy.