"Live" - Ovation of the Seas 20-30 Sept 2019 - Our not normal cruise to Hawaii

PCWalton1

We then get two days in Lahaina where we are renting a 2008 Jeep Patriot using Turo from a lady there in town. We did this as she does not mind of we do a reverse road to Hana. The rental car companies are not keen on that. 

143927272_TheOtherRoadtoHana2.thumb.jpg.1a6735cddfdc6767085ab84812fd6b00.jpg

159073603_TheOtherRoadtoHana7.thumb.jpg.e30ce50d69949b7eb158f677044c1133.jpg

Edited by PCWalton1

4 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

The eastbound in May had similar price.

Biker, who was in the mirror cabin as Bill.

I can understand it. For a Hawaii cruise they are sorely lacking in island visits. I would not recommend the Ovation transits if it a first time cruising to Hawaii. We are ok with it as we are adding on after. 

Once the ship arrives in Honolulu we are heading over to Molokai for three days. First time we have been on this island, plan to do a little exploring and a lot of relaxing. 

635508939_hotelmolokai.jpg.8c46a2338d223cc833c03bf9ba474664.jpg

Papohaku-Beach-Molokai-Hawaii1.thumb.jpg.4a6c1f587b67c17b8ba48acd96a0fa06.jpg

Kalaupapa_Lookout.jpg.333d25f4cbfff97c30e8232974abd61a.jpg

halawa_bay_aerial.jpg.d4a26fd36b73bc2aeb5eaa0fee3311ab.jpg

• Like 1

I was on the special May 13th cruise 11 day to Alaska. I hope Capt Henrik Loy will be back on the ship as he was easy to understand and very informative.

I suggest you take the All Access Tour as we were lucky to meet him. Also tour goes into kitchen area as well.

You will like the ship and I was able to go up in Northstar a lot using standby line. 

If you can try to go up while in Vancouver port.

Notice the lowered smokestacks and then the next day notice them raised again. I have photos of both from up in Northstar.

When leaving at 5 pm, BEST place to stand is in the pool area to watch front of ship and then turn around to watch back od ship go under bridge.

Make sure to use solarium eatery for breakfast when the Windjammer is busy.

Have a good trip. I just watched on webcam the ship dock at Ogden Point Victoria 7am west coast time. Ship likes to arrive early a lot

I love this class of ship having done Anthem and I am also booked on Odyssey for April 2021

Enjoy Hawaii.  Let us know all the details and do go to Captain's Corner towards the end of cruise.

Toodles

56 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

I was on the special May 13th cruise 11 day to Alaska. I hope Capt Henrik Loy will be back on the ship as he was easy to understand and very informative.

I suggest you take the All Access Tour as we were lucky to meet him. Also tour goes into kitchen area as well.

You will like the ship and I was able to go up in Northstar a lot using standby line. 

If you can try to go up while in Vancouver port.

Notice the lowered smokestacks and then the next day notice them raised again. I have photos of both from up in Northstar.

When leaving at 5 pm, BEST place to stand is in the pool area to watch front of ship and then turn around to watch back od ship go under bridge.

Make sure to use solarium eatery for breakfast when the Windjammer is busy.

Have a good trip. I just watched on webcam the ship dock at Ogden Point Victoria 7am west coast time. Ship likes to arrive early a lot

I love this class of ship having done Anthem and I am also booked on Odyssey for April 2021

Enjoy Hawaii.  Let us know all the details and do go to Captain's Corner towards the end of cruise.

Toodles

Glad to hear you had a great time. Thanks for all the tips

2 hours ago, PCWalton1 said:

will spend three days in Waikiki

If I might suggest a little excursion during your stay on Oahu...

There is a place called Kualoa Ranch (you will probably pass it on your way to the Cultural Center,) there they have a really cool tour that you can take through the valley and see where many of your favorite films were shot, (Jurassic Park, Jurassic World, Mighty Joe Young, Godzilla, Kong, Lost, among others.)

It was about $30 a person and took about 3 hours, but was AWESOME! This is a live movie set and you never know what you might see.  The day we went, they were filming Jumanji, so we got to see many of the actors do their thing.

Welcome back, Marie & Bill. Always love virtually cruising with you both. 

I’ve only done a Vancouver to Hawaii transit once and would love to do it again. This will have to suffice for now. Northstar during a Napali sail by?  YOU’VE HIT THE JACKPOT!!

17 minutes ago, Drock20J said:

There is a place called Kualoa Ranch (you will probably pass it on your way to the Cultural Center,) there they have a really cool tour that you can take through the valley and see where many of your favorite films were shot, (Jurassic Park, Jurassic World, Mighty Joe Young, Godzilla, Kong, Lost, among others.)

It was about $30 a person and took about 3 hours, but was AWESOME! This is a live movie set and you never know what you might see.  The day we went, they were filming Jumanji, so we got to see many of the actors do their thing.

Thanks for the suggestion, much appreciated

8 minutes ago, dreamer976 said:

Welcome back, Marie & Bill. Always love virtually cruising with you both. 

I’ve only done a Vancouver to Hawaii transit once and would love to do it again. This will have to suffice for now. Northstar during a Napali sail by?  YOU’VE HIT THE JACKPOT!!

Thanks, hope I can get some great pictures up there. 

43 minutes ago, PCWalton1 said:

Thanks for the suggestion, much appreciated

My Pleasure, I used to live on Oahu. It is one of my favorite places on this planet!

Also, if you are going to be there any day BUT Tuesday you should go to Hanauma Bay, this is has been voted as the 2nd best snorkeling location IN THE WORLD! Get there early as they limit the amount of people in the bay. We got there before 7:30 and parking was free. They have full rentals there on the beach! This is a MUST in my opinion. It is a short drive from your hotel (maybe 20 minutes. it is on the other side of Diamond Head.)

Edited by Drock20J

2 hours ago, Drock20J said:

This is a live movie set and you never know what you might see. 

You may find location shoots anywhere.  We watched them film Magnum on a couple of our land trips, and got to meet the cast and crew.  

The film crew even gave us one of the crew shirts.  And the surprising thing is, it still fits after all these years. 

8CA6FD3F-D0A2-43AA-A72C-670A7C7B9C14.thumb.jpeg.f5850f537ca315022372b2fe51ed2106.jpeg

Enjoy Hawaii.  We never tire of it. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, PCWalton1 said:

We did this as she does not mind of we do a reverse road to Hana. The rental car companies are not keen on that. 

DW and I on our honeymoon may or may not have done the complete loop in a rental car. 😜  Stopped at the Vineyard (called Tedeschi back then) as a great way to end a long day. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PCWalton1 said:

May 2018 to Feb 2019

Your cruise reviews and pictures are amazing! Thank you for taking us along!

Question - did you need to check regularly and call RCI or travel agent to reprice your cruise with each price drop or is there a way to get automatic notifications?

• Like 1

Your cruise reviews and pictures are amazing! Thank you for taking us along!

Question - did you need to check regularly and call RCI or travel agent to reprice your cruise with each price drop or is there a way to get automatic notifications?
I just did mock bookings online to see what the current price worked out to.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, PCWalton1 said:

After Molokai we fly back to Oahu and will spend three days in Waikiki at the Hale Koa. One day will be at the Polynesian Cultural Center, we have not been there since 2003.

1763491301_halekoa.jpg.62232dac998fe5a8abd0db7c64620454.jpg

Polynesian-Cultural-Center-49.thumb.jpg.c09dc47a4ee8da1475dadb364bbf8bd3.jpg

Make sure you watch the show HA Breathe of Life.  It is really good and done by the students at BYU.  Actually PCC was built for them to have some employemnt options.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Drock20J said:

Also the set of the first big movie filmed there Windtalkers.  Got to see that being filmed and another of my favorites 50 first dates with adam sadler.