Can you bring your allotment of wine onboard if the containers are not exactly 750 mL

CruiszBug

1 minute ago, CruiszBug said:

I know Royal stipulates that 2 bottles of wine @ 750 mL each may be brought aboard per cabin. But can you bring 1 bottle that is 1.5 L? Or can you bring 4 bottles that are 375 mL?

They do enforce the 750 ml per bottle rule and don’t allow combinations that equal the same total ml. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Likely to make it easier for the security officers. 

With that said, we have taken a 750 mL bottle  and we also bought a half bottle and that was fine. I guess because it was one “regular” and one “smaller”  bottle. 

I suspect 2  375 ml bottles would be fine, but  it would likely be a problem with 4  375 ml bottles. Yes I know it still equals two 750ml bottles. 

M

Edited by cruisegirl1
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Host Clarea said:

The cruise line does not publicly share their rationale for their policies.

No they don't do they? Lol! Hence the word "guesses".  Just trying to plan for a triple back to back. (It would be easier to pack 3 bottles rather than 6.) Also one of the wines I really love only comes in 375 mL bottles. But thanks for your point of view. I appreciate knowing in advance what to expect from other people's experience!

11 minutes ago, CruiszBug said:

No they don't do they? Lol! Hence the word "guesses".  Just trying to plan for a triple back to back. (It would be easier to pack 3 bottles rather than 6.) Also one of the wines I really love only comes in 375 mL bottles. But thanks for your point of view. I appreciate knowing in advance what to expect from other people's experience!

If you are on 3 consecutive cruises, they will let you bring on 6 bottles when you embark on the first cruise.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CruiszBug said:

I appreciate knowing in advance what to expect from other people's experience!

Be considerate of others too.

Biker, who was stuck in the security line for several minutes while the officers sorted someone trying to argue about a 1.5l wine bottle.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Debowah said:

We went out of Port Everglades a few weeks ago and no one even looked @ what we brought on. We had 4 500ml containers of wine.  Might depend on the Port. 

They looked I am sure during X-Ray... Caring about what was in there is different story.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, CruiszBug said:

Any guesses why that may be?

because they can.

furthermore since 99.98% of all wine brought on board will be in 750 ML bottles anyway, it's easier to just restrict all to that configuration.  bring a bottle of port alone in its short stubby bottle, and that's gonna cause confusion to most screeners who now have to take an extra minute or 2 to more closely examine and if they are clueless as to what port is, may disallow it out of ignorance, which then entails an argument and exasperated people in line behind you.  

• Thanks 1

Just an FYI,  This summer  we had two cruises embarking from Baltimore.  Both times, security  they asked us to take the wine out of the carry on tote so could examine it.  They checked the cork and  foil seal.   I guess it happens at other ports,  but we had not experienced that before .

M

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, island lady said:

The security agents have not figured out the math...or don't have enough fingers or toes to calculate the total fluid equivalent numbers.  😉 

I know that you thought that was funny, but it's mean.

Security agents generally have no independent authority.

If their boss tells them "Two bottles, 750 ml each", then that is what they enforce.

1 hour ago, Debowah said:

They did not even look during x-ray as they were engaged in conversation with their heads turned!

Luck, and maybe how busy they get. Do 4+ Cruises a yr out Port Everglades and have watched them stop  with excess water and Wine Bottles. Seen many on Naughty Table and passengers with excess returning to car.. They have even count my 12 Bottles pop

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Be considerate of others too.

Biker, who was stuck in the security line for several minutes while the officers sorted someone trying to argue about a 1.5l wine bottle.

Of course! That should go without saying! I have never seen anyone arguing with the officers or holding up any lines when embarking? That must have been awkward!

2 hours ago, island lady said:

The security agents have not figured out the math...or don't have enough fingers or toes to calculate the total fluid equivalent numbers.  😉 

I have to admit that crossed my mind, too! They just want to keep it basic and simple. I did not think you were being mean. There is humor in your statement. 

Thanks everyone for your responses! It was really helpful and enlightening!

41 minutes ago, LeeW said:

Since you are on a B2B, print out SetSail passes for all the cruises.  They may or may not store the extra bottles for the second and third cruises so know which bottles you want to keep for the first cruise.

Agree, know some my fellow passengers had to store it until second leg.

2 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

I know that you thought that was funny, but it's mean.

Security agents generally have no independent authority.

If their boss tells them "Two bottles, 750 ml each", then that is what they enforce.

Yes, I meant it as a joke.  Sorry I ruffled your feathers.  I will go back into my corner and sulk now...bad Island Lady...bad girl.  😞 

1 hour ago, CruiszBug said:

Of course! That should go without saying! I have never seen anyone arguing with the officers or holding up any lines when embarking? That must have been awkward!

I have to admit that crossed my mind, too! They just want to keep it basic and simple. I did not think you were being mean. There is humor in your statement. 

Thanks everyone for your responses! It was really helpful and enlightening!

Thanks...I say sheepishly.  🙂  Nice of you to say so, and appreciate not getting another flogging. 😉 

Edited by island lady

5 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

What's to stop them from getting off in between cruises and bringing on 2 more bottles?

True... or for that matter what about the people who get their onboard alcohol purchases delivered to their room on the last night of the week? More to ponder.