What Broadway play would you want to see on rccl?

Just now, kathy884 said:

Yes.  I loved the move, but thought the musical was much better.  Usually I prefer whichever came out first (the original), but not in this case.  I thought they did a wonderful job with this show. 

Just some more comments too on "Come From Away" -- adding to the love for that show.  We saw "Hamilton" and "Come From Away" the same weekend in New York.  "Hamilton" is an amazing piece of work, but my whole family loved and preferred, "Come From Away".  I'm also one who is thinking given the size of the ship theatre and expensive of shows, that a smaller show is going to work better on one of the RCCL ships. 

My wife and I belong to a theater club and see 8 to 10 shows a year.We get a group rate and have Orchestra seats for all the shows.I love theater acting.In my opinion there is nothing better.We did not see Hamilton yet but one of our daughters saw it several times.She went to high school with Javier Munoz who was in the original production.

Come From Away would be awesome!

Ditto Spamalot, Something Rotten, School of Rock

Other good ones would be SpongeBob, Addams Family, Anastasia, Bandstand, Bronx Tale, Groundhog Day (edited), Hello Dolly, King and I, Legally Blonde, and Young Frankenstein 

Musical theater nut here 

• Like 1

Damn Yankees!

In the Heights, saw this as a professional touring company and a local high school production. With the movie coming out in 2021 it would have more recognition.

The Prom - was just in NYC and closed in August. A Netflix version is in the works.

My Favorite “jukebox” musical is American Idiot but that one would be hard to make it appropriate for the masses.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Junkhouse said:

Joseph and The Amazing Technicolor Dream Coat

I love this show! Other than the subject matter (Biblical) it pretty much checks all of the boxes.

42 minutes ago, SummerBeeSweet said:

My Favorite “jukebox” musical is American Idiot but that one would be hard to make it appropriate for the masses.

My friend was in the Original Cast. This would be an easy show to pull off as  the set simple, but as you mentioned, the subject matter is VERY adult, and the lyrics are explicit.

18 hours ago, jndsilver31 said:

i dont care what rccl has on the oasis class ships, my wife and enjoy them.

by the way early happy birthday. 

Thanks!  Hubby is turning 50.  We are taking our besties with us on Oasis 10 days after.  they have only been on 1 cruise back in 2004

10 hours ago, SummerBeeSweet said:

Come From Away would be awesome!

Ditto Spamalot, Something Rotten, School of Rock

Other good ones would be SpongeBob, Addams Family, Anastasia, Bandstand, Bronx Tale, Groundhog Day (edited), Hello Dolly, King and I, Legally Blonde, and Young Frankenstein 

Musical theater nut here 

I think all of rccl shows are musicals , we do enjoy both. Something rotten was very entertaining. 

46 minutes ago, agingpartygirl said:

I feel like Anything Goes would be great for a RC show. It's an old one but it had a revival a few years ago. It takes place on a ship which is appropriate. 

So does Titanic... but I don't think that would be appropriate 😉

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, HBE4 said:

I'm 55 and went to the Statue Of Liberty once. Kinda. I made it to the island but there was a 2 1/2 hour long line to get into the actual Statue and its was mid-July, 98 degrees, 4000% humidity and not a cloud in the sky.  So I said to myself, just come back on a cooler, less crowded day.

That was 30 years ago.

I just wave as I pass it on a cruise ship or while I’m crossing the VZN bridge.

2 hours ago, SummerBeeSweet said:

Damn Yankees!

In the Heights, saw this as a professional touring company and a local high school production. With the movie coming out in 2021 it would have more recognition.

The Prom - was just in NYC and closed in August. A Netflix version is in the works.

Double yes for In The Heights!!!  I saw the off Broadway production and it was fabulous!

I have to agree with you. With so many things going on during a cruise, I'd much rather attend a 45-55 minute show than a 2+ hour show. I feel like that just kills to much time during the evening.

On the flip side, seeing a show that would normally cost $200+  for free is appealing. I would choose to see Kinky Boots (granted, it's not a classic but one of the more enjoyable shows in a long time) or Wicked.

Or bring back Chicago.

I feel the same way. Under an hour seems perfect for on board shows, yet love Broadway musicals. While the show on board any given ship would never play a role in my reasons to book, it can be a nice bonus.

Be prepared to laugh non-stop for virtually the whole show!
OMG yes. Absolutely loved Something Rotten. Saw it in Louisville early this year, and tried to get my wife to go again to a couple of nearby cities in the months following. Couldn't work that out, unfortunately. I would see it again in a heartbeat.
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, The Sunset Glow said:

Yes it is beautiful here. I am originally from Newfoundland where come from away is based - another beautiful place with the friendliest people 😊

Could not agree more about the beauty and friendliness of  Newfoundland and its people.  They had several of those lovely, big Newfies on the dock as we debarked...what a treat.  One of my favorite stops!  🙂

• Like 1

17 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I have been there too.Come From Away is something that everyone on the planet should see.

I was supposed to be in the World Trade Center On 9/11 .My friend who I was supposed to meet that day died.By a quirk of fate my business meeting was postponed.

Oh my, that's a devastating and grateful situation all in one. I'm sorry about your friend but glad your fate took you out of danger that day. I personally know a couple of the characters in Come From Away. The Mayor Claude Elliot is a personal friend and I volunteered with Bonnie Harris at the Gander SPCA. I have not seen the play yet but I will. I grew up there so I'm sure everything will be familiar. I think it would be a great show for the ship but the Newfie accent can be difficult to imitate😁

Edited by The Sunset Glow

10 minutes ago, The Sunset Glow said:

Oh my, that's a devastating and grateful situation all in one. I'm sorry about your friend but glad your fate took you out of danger that day. I personally know a couple of the characters in  From Away. The Mayor Claude Elliot is a personal friend and I volunteered with Bonnie Harris at the Gander SPCA. I have not seen the play yet but I will. I grew up there so I'm sure everything will be familiar. I think it would be a great show for the ship but the Newfie accent can be difficult to imitate😁

Thank you.I urge everyone to see that show, 

17 minutes ago, The Sunset Glow said:

I think it would be a great show for the ship but the Newfie accent can be difficult to imitate😁

The accent is VERY tough, t hat mixture of Irish and Canadian is tough! For me personally listening to the West End (London) Cast, they just don't sound right to me, just a little off.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Drock20J said:

The accent is VERY tough, t hat mixture of Irish and Canadian is tough! For me personally listening to the West End (London) Cast, they just don't sound right to me, just a little off.

I had no problem at all with the accents nor have I met anyone who has.

12 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I had no problem at all with the accents nor have I met anyone who has.

It is on my list of shows to see.

Maybe in Nov when my anniversary rolls around.