Paper Money Problems

Heya all,

Just wanted to highlight a minor issue that may catch some folk out.

England is transitioning from paper money to plastic money.

Apparently paper 10 pound notes are no longer accepted by law at local vendors (taxi, hotel, shops etc) but can be exchanged at banks or building society etc

Going to a bank is not high on my things to do list while on holiday.

So if you are getting any walk around pounds from money changers in Aussie you may want to consider rejecting any paper 10 pound notes.

😎

1 hour ago, Dobby_The_Ship_Elf said:

Heya all,

Just wanted to highlight a minor issue that may catch some folk out.

England is transitioning from paper money to plastic money.

Apparently paper 10 pound notes are no longer accepted by law at local vendors (taxi, hotel, shops etc) but can be exchanged at banks or building society etc

Going to a bank is not high on my things to do list while on holiday.

So if you are getting any walk around pounds from money changers in Aussie you may want to consider rejecting any paper 10 pound notes.

😎

Do elf’s use money?

Thanks Dobby for the heads up.

Just checked my money from the post office and I received three ten pounds notes so it looks like I will be off to a bank in London next week.

May find you under the stairs soon on the Sapphire.

3 hours ago, sewgood said:

Just checked my money from the post office and I received three ten pounds notes so it looks like I will be off to a bank in London next week.

😁   or at the M&G ...... which ever ....  we usually do sail away under the stairs at the Outrigger Bar, Deck 14 at the ass end or aft end depending upon your nomenclature preference

12 hours ago, sewgood said:

The post office should get organised then, we get currency from them.

Damn! I have £60 in paper notes which I'd intended using at the end of our Western Europe cruise next year as it finishes in Dover. What a pain. 

Does anyone know how expensive taxis are in the UK. We'll need to get from the cruise terminal to the rental car agency which is in the township.

54 minutes ago, NSWP said:

The post office should get organised then, we get currency from them.

We leave tomorrow so it's to late to do anything about it now but as people have said above they heard about this rule a while back so I'm wondering why I got 10 pounds notes from whoever the Post Office uses for their currency conversion.

I will when we get back go and see the girls at the local PO and mention how disappointed I was to get notes that I couldn't use to buy stuff in England, not even a cup of cofee or a taxi ride.

I know it's not their fault but hopefully they can pass on the complaint to the right department in their organisation.

At least Dobby forewarned me before I tried to use one of the notes.

42 minutes ago, sewgood said:

We leave tomorrow so it's to late to do anything about it now but as people have said above they heard about this rule a while back so I'm wondering why I got 10 pounds notes from whoever the Post Office uses for their currency conversion.

I will when we get back go and see the girls at the local PO and mention how disappointed I was to get notes that I couldn't use to buy stuff in England, not even a cup of cofee or a taxi ride.

I know it's not their fault but hopefully they can pass on the complaint to the right department in their organisation.

At least Dobby forewarned me before I tried to use one of the notes.

Are your £10 notes paper or polymer? It isn't good if the Aust Post Office has recently handed out paper notes.

The UK government website states that the polymer notes were introduced starting in 2016 with a £5 note. They have now issued £10 polymer notes, with £20 notes to be issued in polymer in 2020 and £50 by the end of 2021.

4 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Damn! I have £60 in paper notes which I'd intended using at the end of our Western Europe cruise next year as it finishes in Dover. What a pain. 

Does anyone know how expensive taxis are in the UK. We'll need to get from the cruise terminal to the rental car agency which is in the township.

Have been to Dover a couple of times, I estimate a taxi would cost you around 20 to 30 quid from the port to car rental in Dover town, a couple of miles I reckon.

Edited by NSWP

My experience has been that Most bank branches in UK will change your money, because it is usually only for a small amount.

On my latest trip, Scottish pounds, which are legal tender in England, wouldn't work in the ticket machines at the railway station.  Fortunately, I had enough left on my Opal Card to buy a single rail ticket.  The next day the local PO changed my Scottish pounds to English pounds for me.  

18 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

My experience has been that Most bank branches in UK will change your money, because it is usually only for a small amount.

On my latest trip, Scottish pounds, which are legal tender in England, wouldn't work in the ticket machines at the railway station.  Fortunately, I had enough left on my Opal Card to buy a single rail ticket.  The next day the local PO changed my Scottish pounds to English pounds for me.  

We couldn't do that. We had disembarked a ship in the UK and went straight to Heathrow to fly home. I wanted to buy some items duty free - around AUD$90 worth. We had £5 and £10 notes - probably around £60 to £70. We had to use a credit card for the purchase then get rid of the obsolete currency when we got home. At least we got something for it.

1 minute ago, Aus Traveller said:

We couldn't do that. We had disembarked a ship in the UK and went straight to Heathrow to fly home. I wanted to buy some items duty free - around AUD$90 worth. We had £5 and £10 notes - probably around £60 to £70. We had to use a credit card for the purchase then get rid of the obsolete currency when we got home. At least we got something for it.

That is a shame.  I keep mine because I always intend to go back. 

I trust paper money more than credit cards.  During my last holiday both my credit cards stopped working.  Thank goodness for cash, plus a daughter in Australia who could pay for things on line.

I just checked my safe re cruise monies left over.  Have a couple of old tenners, have to get rid of those in Southampton next April, or give them away as tips on ye olde Arcadia, the crew will change them to the polymer ones.

5 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

That is a shame.  I keep mine because I always intend to go back. 

I trust paper money more than credit cards.  During my last holiday both my credit cards stopped working.  Thank goodness for cash, plus a daughter in Australia who could pay for things on line.

We have left-over currency from many countries, always thinking we can use it next time we go back. Several years ago we tried to spend some Samoan currency, only to be told nicely that it wasn't acceptable any more as they had new currency. It wasn't a lot of money and we had no plans for the day (having been to Apia lots of times) so we went to the main bank where they changed it for us.

4 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I just checked my safe re cruise monies left over.  Have a couple of old tenners, have to get rid of those in Southampton next April, or give them away as tips on ye olde Arcadia, the crew will change them to the polymer ones.

Good that this discussion has come up and you have been able to check out your stash of currency and plan what to do. 

Edited by Aus Traveller

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Have been to Dover a couple of times, I estimate a taxi would cost you around 20 to 30 quid from the port to car rental in Dover town, a couple of miles I reckon.

Thanks, Les. Actually I just reread the OP and realised it was just £10 notes that are not accepted. I've got some £20s so should be OK unless they stop accepting those before mid-June.

42 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

We have left-over currency from many countries, always thinking we can use it next time we go back. Several years ago we tried to spend some Samoan currency, only to be told nicely that it wasn't acceptable any more as they had new currency. It wasn't a lot of money and we had no plans for the day (having been to Apia lots of times) so we went to the main bank where they changed it for us.

That's what we do too. I have a file box with all our currencies in it. The only problem I had was with some Fijian currency. We tried to get it changed at a bank but it was too old, I think. Anyway it wasn't a lot either so no big deal.  

4 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Thanks, Les. Actually I just reread the OP and realised it was just £10 notes that are not accepted. I've got some £20s so should be OK unless they stop accepting those before mid-June.

It is £5 and £10 that are out-dated and not accepted. New polymer £20 notes go into circulation in 2020, but they won't refuse the old notes immediately. When we tried to use our £5s and £10s in mid 2018, they had been replaced by polymer notes two years earlier. I assume you mean you will be in the UK in mid June 2020. You will probably be able to use them as I am sure they won't refuse the old notes immediately.