No Charging Privileges

velmasue

We are going on a family cruise in November and our 21 year-old grandson will be in our room.   He will be responsible for paying his onboard expenses.  I have set up his set sail pass as "cash" but I'm concerned we will get to end of cruise and he will not have sufficient cash to pay off his account.  If the account is set up with "no charging privileges" can cash be loaded to the card limiting his ability to charge?  Or, is there another way to accomplish this?

The charging privileges will be blocked, once the "cash" account gets down to a certain amount.  Guest services will leave a message about the need to put more cash on the account.  Also, he can keep track of his account on the tv in the room- so there should be no surprises......

I think the amount where it stops your privileges is $500, which is a lot for a 21 yr old!  You should be able to see the charges as the accrue on the account on the app.  He can make payments against his charges during the cruise.  I saw many people doing this at guest services. 

The $500 limit is what I read about.  But it didn't sound like you needed to pay that in advance.  We have cruised a lot (Diamond + with RCCL) but have always used a credit card.  I think it would work best for him if the limit was lower.  He is very immature for his age and has other issues that I really don't want to discuss.  I would just like to set up something reasonable  that he could manage.  It would make the cruise more enjoyable for everyone---I don't want to micro manage all he spends but I don't want to be stuck with paying off his balance either.      

Thank you for the input. 

I thought about the prepaid CC option--maybe that will work?  It would be great if using the "no charge" option along with putting a specific limit is an option.  I will call RCCL and ask these questions specifically.  I couldn't find anything on their website.

36 minutes ago, velmasue said:

The $500 limit is what I read about.  But it didn't sound like you needed to pay that in advance.   ...

That is correct, he will be able to charge $500 over any credit on his account for a 7-night cruise.

As suspected, it was a waste of time to call RCCL.  I was told after the agent checked with supervisor that he would need to put $500 cash down the day of cruise.  She couldn't tell me what would be done if he didn't have $500 or couldn't pay balance at end of cruise.   She also said I could not put "no charging privileges" on his set said pass since he is an adult.  I just went into the account and changed it to no charge so that was wrong information.

We'll figure it out.  Thank you.

16 minutes ago, velmasue said:

As suspected, it was a waste of time to call RCCL.  I was told after the agent checked with supervisor that he would need to put $500 cash down the day of cruise.  She couldn't tell me what would be done if he didn't have $500 or couldn't pay balance at end of cruise.   She also said I could not put "no charging privileges" on his set said pass since he is an adult.  I just went into the account and changed it to no charge so that was wrong information.

If a guest cannot pay their bill, they are usually not allowed to disembark until they have provided a means to pay, such as getting a friend or family member to provide a credit card or cash.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

If a guest cannot pay their bill, they are usually not allowed to disembark until they have provided a means to pay, such as getting a friend or family member to provide a credit card or cash.

What happens when sailing time comes and they have not come up with a way to pay?

Free cruise? 😄  I know, just joking.

3 hours ago, velmasue said:

They can issue extra cards that can be used only for opening the cabin door at guest services.  We always book 2 rooms for our family of 5 and I've always been able to get 5 cards to each cabin.  The duplicate cards can only be used to open the cabin door.  They can't be used to charge anything or to get on and off the ship.  You could hold on to his first card and let him carry the duplicate while on the ship.

6 minutes ago, cb at sea said:

He's 21...he should be able to control his spending.   Upon boarding, have HIM set up his own account...then it's on HIM!

7 minutes ago, cb at sea said:

He's 21...he should be able to control his spending.   Upon boarding, have HIM set up his own account...then it's on HIM!

Read post #5 above

• Like 1

4 hours ago, velmasue said:

The $500 limit is what I read about.  But it didn't sound like you needed to pay that in advance.  We have cruised a lot (Diamond + with RCCL) but have always used a credit card.  I think it would work best for him if the limit was lower.  He is very immature for his age and has other issues that I really don't want to discuss.  I would just like to set up something reasonable  that he could manage.  It would make the cruise more enjoyable for everyone---I don't want to micro manage all he spends but I don't want to be stuck with paying off his balance either.      

No, you don't need to pay anything in advance.  

Perhaps have a talk with his parents?  Perhaps there are some suggested solutions in that conversation?

Even though it is not standard, there is a chance that once you are on board, you can have a heart to heart talk about your grandson's challenges with the Guest Services manager, and work out some sort of limit.

Thank you all for the ideas.  I'm sure we will figure out a good solution.  His mother and step father will also be on the cruise and have the same concerns.  We do plan to discuss with him prior to the cruise.  Since I was able to change his card to "no charging privileges" I do feel a little better about it.  Our first stop will be guest services I guess because I do want him to have some ability to charge and enjoy the cruise.

Edited by velmasue
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, velmasue said:

I believe what the agent was saying is there's no way for you to enforce a no charge setting. Since he's an adult he can change his own charging privileges on board or at check-in, vs. with a minor the parent or guardian can set it and ensure it won't be overruled.