No more roll-in showers in Vista ship suites

Finnjet

Received a call this morning from HAL, informing me that the "accessibility features" of my wheelchair-accessible Signature Suite have changed for our February sailing on Noordam in Australia/New Zealand. They are removing the roll-in shower (which I require) and replacing it with a transfer seat (which I cannot use). I was told that no Vista Class ships will have suites with roll-in showers. I was re-accommodated to a VB category stateroom. Needless to say, we are extremely disappointed - we will never be able to sail in a suite on a Vista Class ship. Just wanted to pass this along to those requiring such a stateroom.  

1 hour ago, Finnjet said:

I was told that no Vista Class ships will have suites with roll-in showers. I was re-accommodated to a VB category stateroom.

That seems like a really poor decision on HAL's part.  The suites on the Vista ships have more space than the veranda cabins have.  More room in the cabin = easier to manage with a WC, right?  So now, people who need a WC will have cabins with less floor space if they are unable to use a transfer seat?  Am I the only one who thinks this is not-good?  Or am  I misunderstanding something?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RuthC said:

Very poor decision, IMO. Disabled people like to travel, too. Cruising is an especially comfortable way for them to travel, and to limit their ability this way seems cruel. 

Thank you for validating what I was thinking 😞

If this information is correct (and we only have it from one HAL telephone rep, so far, and they are not always reliable sources of factual information) I think it is shameful 😞

I was told that the retrofit to the suites was being done to IMPROVE overall accessibility and ADA compliance by adding more accessible suites. But, for people like me who NEED a roll-in shower, the retrofit has had the opposite effect. Really frustrating, especially considering that the Vistas are the newest, and thus most accessible, ships on this particular cruise. 

2 hours ago, FOPMan said:

That sure seems like a violation of the settlements under the ADA. Removing accessible cabins is not acceptable.

They aren't removing accessible cabins, they're changing the way accessibility is being accomplished. I think the change is an odd choice. I'd like to know why HAL has decided to do this.

53 minutes ago, I like vacation said:

Not quite sure that the Americans with Disabilities Act is enforceable on a ship that is registered in the Netherlands.  

The ADA most definitely is enforceable. The Supreme Court decision on this point noted that ships that call on an American port are required to comply with the ADA. The Noordam most definitely calls on American ports. Also, I was told that this was done to improve compliance with the ADA by adding more accessible cabins. But, while they may have added more accessible cabins, they have eliminated roll-in showers in this particular instance and provided a “transfer seat.“

• Like 1

What exactly do they mean by a "transfer seat"? Does one use a "transfer seat" in a regular tub or shower? If I were you, I would send a email to HAL's access and compliance department for more information. They will even provide specific cabin photos if you request them. If they don't have current photos, they will contact the ship and have someone take them. They've always been very helpful to me.

hal_access_&_compliance@hollandamerica.com

Which Signature Suite were you booked in? I just looked at the deck plans on HAL's website and it lists three accessible SS and it specifically says they have roll in showers. I wouldn't be surprised if the website just hasn't been update yet.

Very disappointed to hear this. My husband is in a wheelchair and uses a rolling shower chair. He cannot transfer to a bench. Cruising is our prefered travel. The ships are very accessible and eliminates trying to find transportation to get around. Seems to me they would try to make things more accessible not less. Bad move Holland America. 

I spoke with HAL access and compliance this morning to get more information. The term they are using is "transfer shower." Essentially, they are replacing the open-style roll-in shower in suites with a shower stall that includes a transfer bench. The first photo I've attached is from the Noordam, after drydock, and depicts the new "transfer shower." This photo is from a suite on Deck 8. The other photo is from a Seaborne ship and depicts a  similar "transfer shower." The change is being made across all Carnival-owned brands.

HAL access and compliance is going to send me additional photos soon. This new shower may very well work for me, so long as there is no lip to enter. The initial description I received yesterday was very inaccurate,  so HAL has some work to do in terms of conveying information to its guests. I was very pleased with my conversations with access and compliance and hope to have more info soon.IMG_3391.JPG.a1dce26a18601f678625c44de31479d1.JPGIMG_3392.JPG.14c3510dfabb5cffda4e73702fa901b0.JPG

If shower doesn't have a lip (and I can't see why in the world they'd add one, as it would make the shower inaccessible), but does have the seat, would you be able to use this set-up without any problems?  Glad you received additional information from HAL.

If you've been following Rick's current cruise on Noordam, you can see photos of the ship, which are disappointing in most respects, especially the former library area and Northern Lights.  Not a good refurbishment, IMO, but one that ruined a lovely ship.

Edited by sevenseasnomad

My DH had a man sue his employer for ADA compliance.  After the upgrade, he couldn't even go through the doors, because they replaced the knobs with special handles. 

Everyone's different, and becoming ADA compliant may not fit w/ the disability.

Just wondering if the Neptune Suites still have Roll In Showers.  If so, I'd ask for an upgrade at their expense.

I am extremely pleased with the information I received today, and I think the “transfer shower” will work for me. I asked them to place a hold on my signature suite until we receive additional photos to confirm the suitability of the shower. They did so. The access and compliance department was apparently blindsided by these changes as well. The Noordam is the first Vista Class ship to receive the new shower stall. The others will follow. I’ve attached additional photos provided to me late this afternoon.

3D8BFDBC-B1C0-4C12-948A-5F45180493D3.jpeg

4553651D-A3EE-4BF7-956D-9779D8F71877.jpeg

29E46909-E98D-4385-A4F9-6A28D07F9522.jpeg

62FD53D2-61D6-4342-B6C7-8EF9BE7E0D7A.jpeg

• Like 2