2 bedroom cruise ship cabins

kw1966

Hi, Did our first cruise on Sapphire princess august 30th to september 14th (Baltic heritage).

We would like to invite my son and his girlfriend on the next cruise , and posted on here in the hope someone could answer  our question.

Do all cruise ships have 4 birth suites with 2 seperate bedrooms , or only certain ships, if so does anyone know which cruise lines offer

2 bedroom suites.

Thanks

9 minutes ago, kw1966 said:

Hi, Did our first cruise on Sapphire princess august 30th to september 14th (Baltic heritage).

We would like to invite my son and his girlfriend on the next cruise , and posted on here in the hope someone could answer  our question.

Do all cruise ships have 4 birth suites with 2 seperate bedrooms , or only certain ships, if so does anyone know which cruise lines offer

2 bedroom suites.

Thanks

Do you really want a "suite"?  These tend to be more expensive and usually have a separate seating area in addition to the two bedrooms.

But if what you want are two connecting bedrooms, then look for that, and they are reasonably easy to find on many ships.  They will have a connecting door between them, like connecting hotel rooms.  When people book those rooms separately, the doors remain locked.  When booked together, the two rooms have that doorway that can be opened like a regular door, or closed for privacy.

GC

• Like 5

Connecting staterooms might be a good option- alternative is a family suite  - more luxury with separate sitting area and higer cost.

Below short videos of both connecting staterooms and Royal Family Suite (Royal Caribbean)

Just now, hallasm said:

Connecting staterooms might be a good option- alternative is a family suite  - more luxury with separate sitting area and higer cost.

Below short videos of both connecting staterooms and Royal Family Suite (Royal Caribbean)

26 minutes ago, kw1966 said:

How do they price joining staterooms?

Price is just two times 'an ordinary' stateroom - only difference is the door between the two cabins - also the divider between balconies can be opened (might not be able to open at all ships). booked online.

26 minutes ago, kw1966 said:

Do they charge for 2 rooms or class it as a larger family suite?

For the family suite I paid for one the suite  - booked through TA - assume that price does reflect number of people in the suite. Price much higher than for two ocean view cabins.

Edited by hallasm

Royal Caribbean does have 2 bedroom suites.  The lowest level is the 2 bedroom Grand Suite, formerly called Royal Family Suite.  They have 2 bedrooms with 2 bathrooms and a large sitting area.  I think that all have balconies.  They come with Suite perks.  On the larger ships, they have higher classes of 2 bedroom suites.

Booking two connecting cabins is just like a hotel with a connecting door.  However, I am not sure if the ship board ones have two doors that would allow you to close your side for privacy, or your son and his girlfriend, their privacy.  I would not want to cruise with my parents with an open door to my room. 😄

If you book two balcony cabins that connect, you will pay for 2 balcony cabins.  Suite rates are for suites.

One some ships, you can also open the balcony divider, allowing connecting, but with more privacy. And yes, the balcony doors can be locked from the inside. 😄

Realize, that depending on the situation and timing, a 2 bedroom suite may cost less than two lesser cabins.  Our first cruise, we went with my parents.  We booked two separate cabins.  But a later sale made the Royal Family suite much cheaper than two separate cabins.  So we switched.

13 hours ago, clo said:

And your son and GF might prefer a bit more privacy/separation 🙂

You are more likely to hear noise from the next door cabin if there is a connecting door.  For that reason I would never book a cabin with that feature.  Give your son and his girlfriend some space/privacy and book their room down the hall.  Heck, give yourself some privacy!   😉

Edited by Ferry_Watcher
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

book their room down the hall.  😉

Agree.  And, let's face it, people really don't spend a lot of awake time in their cabins.  So just book two cabins not connecting and you can meet at various times and places for various activities.  We traveled with an elderly friend some years ago who was a very high maintenance person.  We finally said 'hey, let's do breakfast on our own and meet up later.'  Being joined at the hip can be tiring.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SRF said:

Booking two connecting cabins is just like a hotel with a connecting door.  However, I am not sure if the ship board ones have two doors that would allow you to close your side for privacy, or your son and his girlfriend, their privacy.  I would not want to cruise with my parents with an open door to my room. 😄

I would think at a minimum the door would lock from both sides, as connecting cabins can be sold to people who aren't traveling together.  

A two bedroom suite is going to cost considerably more money than just getting two rooms.  Although you also get considerably more room.  

Honestly, I don’t see much benefit to the extra cost or even a need for connecting rooms unless you are dealing with young children.  With an adult child you can just plan to meet at some place and time.    

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ed01106 said:

With an adult child you can just plan to meet at some place and time.

Yep.  And we need to bear in mind that our 'kids' have some very different interests than we do.

Connecting rooms have 2 interior doors.  One on each side just like connecting hotel rooms.  We've used them with our kids and on at least one ship, when the doors closed, they automatically locked.  So when we "closed" the door, we kept something in the doorway to prevent it from closing completely, but kids were young and we didn't want the doors to lock closed.  We couldn't open the kids door from our side.  For adult kids, I would just book 2 separate rooms and wouldn't worry about them connecting.  If you book 2 balconies, you may be able to connect the balconies, but unless you all want to spend a lot of time on the balcony together, it really doesn't matter where your rooms are in relation to each other.  We spend very little time in the room.  There are plenty of quiet places on the ship during the day to meet.  

• Like 2

16 hours ago, clo said:

Agree.  And, let's face it, people really don't spend a lot of awake time in their cabins.  

That can depend.  A lot on the cabin class.

We sail in suites, and spend a reasonable amount of time in the room or on the balcony.

Yes, if I were booked in an inside, I would not spend much time in the room

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ed01106 said:

A two bedroom suite is going to cost considerably more money than just getting two rooms.  Although you also get considerably more room.  

As I stated, this is NOT always true.

We had two rooms booked, and a 2 bedroom suite opened up that overall was a couple THOUSAND less than the two rooms.

3 hours ago, SRF said:

As I stated, this is NOT always true.

We had two rooms booked, and a 2 bedroom suite opened up that overall was a couple THOUSAND less than the two rooms.

I think that is very unusual. We always book connecting balconies, and just for fun price out 2 bedroom suites, that option has always been several thousand more.

2 hours ago, George C said:

Suites will give you perks possible suite restaurant, suite lounges , concierge etc . They are addictive. 

Just me speaking.  Those perks are great but having to share space like that would more than offset them.  Maybe the parents should get a one bedroom suite and a regular cabin for the 'kids.'  BTW has OP gone MIA?

Edited by clo

2 hours ago, clo said:

Just me speaking.  Those perks are great but having to share space like that would more than offset them.  Maybe the parents should get a one bedroom suite and a regular cabin for the 'kids.'  BTW has OP gone MIA?

Some people might want to spare space , some not , I wouldn’t mind sharing as long as we had our own bedroom and attached bathroom.