Ocean Medallion Questions - Part 2

LauraS

23 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

The cruise card doesn't have a cabin number printer on it for security reasons.

Why do they allow the board to show the cabin number without at least having to  first enter a pin number?

It does. 

I asked them at the PSD when they intended to start printing the cabin number on the cruise cards as well. 😄

First. When we used the board I did not see my cabin number displayed. Second. When we left our cabin my wife always makes sure it is locked. It always was. So I have no idea where all this is cumming from. Maybe earlier cruises on the Sky Ours was Jan 11th.

Just now, twodaywonder said:

First. When we used the board I did not see my cabin number displayed. Second. When we left our cabin my wife always makes sure it is locked. It always was. So I have no idea where all this is cumming from. Maybe earlier cruises on the Sky Ours was Jan 11th.

Another thing. Returning to our cabin. The color around the door and the pad with our pictures was never activated till we were at the door not before.

A pretty in-depth article on the Medallion & the tech behind it.  You have to become a member to read it, but, there is no cost involved. https://members.nfcw.com/3193/from-magicband-to-ocean-medallion/

"The Ocean Medallion is made up of two primary communications devices — standard Bluetooth Low Energy, which operates at distances, as well as standard NFC, which operates at close range."

Magnets are NOT used for communication, or, unlocking the doors!   "As you approach, your Medallion is read — normally via BLE as you approach, but alternatively also via NFC"

4 hours ago, twodaywonder said:

I can't speak for the Sky but on the Regal, Royal and Crown all the boards would show your cabin number when using the Medallion.....and not the cruise card if you had one.

You had to push the "find my cabin" to see it & then not only would it show the number but give a path & how to get there. 

8 hours ago, voljeep said:

definitely a favorite of ours, too

Great people at Jacks.  Wife and I were the first ones there one day, we sat there and had a few beers, we tried to pay, Janet (Jack's wife) said just tell us at the end of the day what you had......About an hour in to our visit a young couple came up and the girl wanted a blender drink, Janet looked at the young lady and said I am sorry but I dont start the blender until 10am, its too loud!!!! Girl got upset and left....Janet said "Oh well, my bar, my rules".....funny.

If you were familiar with Topher, their dog that would dig crabs out of the sand and toss them, he recently passed away.

• Like 1

I hear the Sapphire Princess is now in dry dock Singapore for an update etc. Because of this, in another forum, someone mentioned it was getting the Medallion facilities installed, which is earlier than previously stated. 

It will then be redeployed to Fremantle, Western Australia and I'll be booking to go on her next week.

Can anyone confirm if the Medallion 'thingy' is actually happening?

I love GADGETS!! 🙂

3 hours ago, Not happy Jan said:

Can anyone confirm if the Medallion 'thingy' is actually happening?

No, unfortunately, the gadget itself is not happening. The ship will only be getting all the wiring set up and whatever else needed to prepare for the actual Medallion to launch on Sapphire, likely in 2021. You will, however, be getting the MedallionNet wifi, beginning on June 4, per several articles online (earlier than the previously stated date of July 27, according to Princess).

11 hours ago, 1gr8cruise said:

Great people at Jacks.  Wife and I were the first ones there one day, we sat there and had a few beers, we tried to pay, Janet (Jack's wife) said just tell us at the end of the day what you had......About an hour in to our visit a young couple came up and the girl wanted a blender drink, Janet looked at the young lady and said I am sorry but I dont start the blender until 10am, its too loud!!!! Girl got upset and left....Janet said "Oh well, my bar, my rules".....funny.

If you were familiar with Topher, their dog that would dig crabs out of the sand and toss them, he recently passed away.

sad to hear about Topher ...

My wife and I were there one time and this little girl came walking up to where my wife was laying in a lounge chair … the little girl asked where she got the chair , and she pointed to the guy that brought it over to her.  Then the little girl stated 'that's my chair, it's got my name on it"  sure enough, it was there … turns out the little girl was Kenley, the granddaughter of Jack and Janet who obviously had free reign of the place and had never met a stranger … she and my wife became fast friends and ended up being 'pinky pals' 

great folks and a nice place to hang for a few hours  to get away from the crowd at the port bars

2 hours ago, ams1130 said:

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I just got an email that my medallion has been shipped. I'm in Canada; I thought we picked them up on embarkation? We leave for Los Angeles on Thursday. 

In case this helps anyone else, I called the number at the bottom of the email and it looks like it was just sent in error. I'm to pick up on the ship as I thought. 

I have a few questions, after reading "some/most" of this thread.

We have used lanyards for 28 years on all our cruises, worn under our clothing:  Mr. Pcur's are plain referee black cording, and mine are various colors to match my clothing, with a little bling.  We have always used them for our room cards.  If we get the medallions, it looks like they will easily fit on our existing lanyards, which have lobster claw fasteners.  Can the medallion go on the same lanyard with the card (assume they both fit for the sake of discussion), or will the card's magnetic strip be affected by being in close proximity with the medallion?  Can you even have both????

My husband has a pacemaker, and our cruise is in October on the Emerald.  Any rollout information available regarding the newer plastic medallions that are more pacemaker "friendly"?

Is there any cost for the medallion?  I understand additional accessories can be purchased, but I'd rather use my existing lanyards.  Mr. Pcur is a Luddite, so it's iffy whether he will even use the medallion.  😁

Thanks!

37 minutes ago, pcur said:

I have a few questions, after reading "some/most" of this thread.

We have used lanyards for 28 years on all our cruises, worn under our clothing:  Mr. Pcur's are plain referee black cording, and mine are various colors to match my clothing, with a little bling.  We have always used them for our room cards.  If we get the medallions, it looks like they will easily fit on our existing lanyards, which have lobster claw fasteners.  Can the medallion go on the same lanyard with the card (assume they both fit for the sake of discussion), YES or will the card's magnetic strip be affected by being in close proximity with the medallion?  NO Can you even have both???? Yes

My husband has a pacemaker, and our cruise is in October on the Emerald.  Any rollout information available regarding the newer plastic medallions that are more pacemaker "friendly"?

I've read the same thing as you did. Nothing new yet. 

Is there any cost for the medallion?  NO  I understand additional accessories can be purchased, but I'd rather use my existing lanyards.  Mr. Pcur is a Luddite, so it's iffy whether he will even use the medallion.  😁 You can by them on the ship or even get knock off items cheaper that work just as well. Lanyards work as long as you don't mind having them around your neck. 

Thanks!

Can anyone with a Samsung phone running Android running 6.0.1 software tell me if they are able to see the deck diagrams under Ocean Compass for the Regal Princess? The latest version of the Medallion Class App will show the deck diagrams for Ruby, and  Sky, but not for Crown, Royal, Caribbean, or Regal. If you try to display Grand it just hangs on Loading Points of Interest. 

1 hour ago, pcur said:

Can the medallion go on the same lanyard with the card (assume they both fit for the sake of discussion), or will the card's magnetic strip be affected by being in close proximity with the medallion?

The cards on MedallionClass ships do not have a mag strip, they use NFC technology, so there is no worries about the medallion's magnet messing with the card.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, twodaywonder said:

Your charge card when you go on shore?

That would be interesting, I'm guessing no? My wife's iPhone case is her wallet and it uses a magnet to hold it closed.  If she puts a Hotel card in that case, it's usually de-magnetized, she's never had an issue with her charge cards. The magnet in the Medallion is much stronger that her case though. This article makes it sound like it could very well trash your charge card. I don't have any places that I can test this out with, everywhere I go uses the chip. I've a card I'd like to try it out on though.  🙂

On 2/22/2020 at 9:52 AM, MissP22 said:

Being able to find a cabin location has been that way since the beginning of the Medallion system. If you lose your Medallion anyone who finds it can get access to your cabin until you report it lost. 

There is a problem with security.  Hubby returned from the gym and noticed that his Medallion was missing. The side holding the lanyard was intact, but the other side had separated and the Medallion fell out.  We found it very close to our cabin (using my Medallion).  Anyone could have found it, walked by nearby cabins, and our door would have let them in.

8 hours ago, ecs66 said:

There is a problem with security.  Hubby returned from the gym and noticed that his Medallion was missing. The side holding the lanyard was intact, but the other side had separated and the Medallion fell out.  We found it very close to our cabin (using my Medallion).  Anyone could have found it, walked by nearby cabins, and our door would have let them in.

That's the major security flaw in their Medallion program although in your case of losing it very near the cabin nothing would have helped other than reporting it missing ASAP.

So far on all of our Medallion cruises I've found 4 Medallions that had been lost. I check them on the boards find their cabin number & turned them in to the PSD & told them that Mr or Mrs XXX from cabin XXX lost their Medallion. 

Not that it made any difference.

If it had been a cruise card the cabin number wouldn't have been able to be found.

We are going on our first medallion cruise on Sunday. Hubby and I are both pretty tech savvy and both have iPhones. We are elite and will trade our internet minutes for a discounted unlimited internet plan once we are on board. There are some family situations we will need to keep track of while on board, so we would like to be able to make voice calls while at sea(We have port days covered). Is there a way to do this without getting our phone provider's (ATT) cellular at sea package? I've seen some posts that say that medallion is not working with cellular at sea anyway. If phones are connected to the medallion internet can voice calls be made with WhatsApp or Skype? Are there steps necessary to take so that your phone doesn't default to cellular at sea? Is airplane mode the default to connect to medalslionnet? If wifi calling is enabled on my iPhone can I make and receive calls the usual way without incurring any extra charges?

We had the internet package o the Royal (medallion class) and I used Facetime to talk to family with iphones and hangouts to talk to family with Android.  It was usually fine, but occasionally had some lag or freezing issues.  We did not have cellular at sea.  It was a Mexico itinerary and my phone plan (also ATT) has roam North America, so I had full usage when in port. 

Edited by imescaping
added

7 minutes ago, imescaping said:

We had the internet package o the Royal (medallion class) and I used Facetime to talk to family with iphones and hangouts to talk to family with Android.  It was usually fine, but occasionally had some lag or freezing issues.  We did not have cellular at sea.  It was a Mexico itinerary and my phone plan (also ATT) has roam North America, so I had full usage when in port. 

With so many locations on the ship surrounded by steel. Lag or freezing can be expected. usually works great.