Escape transatlantic with kids

dominicr

Has anyone done a transatlantic with smaller kids?  I did some searching and can't find alot of topics out there with that information.   The only NCL cruises we have been on are the Hawaii one twice and there wasn't much for small kids on that boat.  We have a 4 yr old and 1 yr old.  I just saw that the Escape has a drop off nursery so decided to look into that boat a little bit.  When i saw the prices of their transatlantic cruise I thought it was pretty good so wanted to see if anyone has done it with a toddler and infant and how their experiences went. 

I do an NCL transatlantic once a year and see very few kids.  In addition to missing school (I know yoours are too young), the weather is often not conducive to outdoor activities and many (not all) are averse to sitting and reading hours per day.  Also don't think the Atrium games (trivia, etc. would be great attractions. 

That said, I find that on cruises with very few children, the staff seems to pay "extra special" attention to the ones on board, 

Edited by FLAHAM

1 hour ago, dominicr said:

Has anyone done a transatlantic with smaller kids?  I did some searching and can't find alot of topics out there with that information.   The only NCL cruises we have been on are the Hawaii one twice and there wasn't much for small kids on that boat.  We have a 4 yr old and 1 yr old.  I just saw that the Escape has a drop off nursery so decided to look into that boat a little bit.  When i saw the prices of their transatlantic cruise I thought it was pretty good so wanted to see if anyone has done it with a toddler and infant and how their experiences went. 

We have done three transatlantics and one transpacific.  Didn't see many kids on those cruises.  I don't see why it would be a problem, but can't help you about a nursery.

So many naysayers on this thread!

There are few children, but they are well looked after by the kids club.  They do parades and circus acts etc.  Transatlantic cruises are very easy to do with children, you can keep them to their nap schedule.  Just bring a couple of folding umbrella strollers because wide strollers will not fit down hallways very well.   You can get your little ones ready for bed and take them to dinner where they can fall asleep if you have a late seating time.   Transatlantic cruises are very relaxing, and if you are up for being ready to take fussy children out of a venue instead of letting the crankiness escalate, your fellows passengers will be happy. 

There is no under 3 year old nursery or child care on most NCL ships so look carefully before you book as to if it is offered yoiur your baby.   You will also need to have passports for the entire family, no cruising on a Birth Certificate.

42 minutes ago, Sauer-kraut said:

There is no under 3 year old nursery or child care on most NCL ships so look carefully before you book as to if it is offered yoiur your baby.   You will also need to have passports for the entire family, no cruising on a Birth Certificate.

The Escape may be the only one in the fleet that actually has a true nursery for the "under 3".  We brought our grandson in 2017 (he was 14 months) on a Western Caribbean.  The staff in the nursery were wonderful (and our daughter appreciated a few date nights with her BF).  I think it was around $15 per hour, but money well spent.  

There were also great family activities that we all enjoyed!

I haven't done a transatlantic but we did 10 day in Europe with about four sea days.  I have twins and they were 18 months at the time.  At that age, everything is a toy so I've enjoyed going up and down the stairs (we have a one story house). The oldest will be able to do the kids club ( his age group gets to be a tiger and jump through a "flamming" hoop during the circus).  The youngest will have toys available during certain hours and 2-3 daily activities.  I haven't done the Escape, but they may have more items like a kids water play area (no diapers in pools), but you'll have to check out the ship deck plans for information on the special features of that particular ship.  We were on the Spirit which has limited facilities and we had a great time.  Enjoy!

We've done a transatlantic with a baby, (8 months) but not a toodler. It was probably our best cruise ever. However, that was on Disney and when they get older, like yours, they need more entertainment than a baby does obviously. I have also looked into a transatlantic next year, but I too worry about if there will be enough for them to do on the ship on so many sea days. Our oldest, 6, loves the kids club so he should be alright. But then we have a 4-year old and a 1-year old who might be more difficult to entertain, I guess it depends a bit on the weather.  I feel like if I'm able to entertain them at home it should absolutely be OK on a ship. 

As for the long flight, we have done many 12-hour flights  with children and while it's quite boring, it's fine and I actually would prefer a transatlantic flight and then a ship back since that would take care of the jet lag problems. 

A lot depends on your child and your energy level. There may be no children at the kid's activities so the onus is primarily on you to entertain your own child. They can go there, but your four year old may want other kids around. Your little one would not be allowed in the adult pools. Transatlantics are usually geared for adults but it is always sweet to see little ones around.

Thanks for the replies everyone.   I appreciate it. I am not to worried about the flights.  The little ones did perfectly fine on a flight from Dallas to Honolulu.  Just need to time the flights right so they sleep most of the way and then watch movies when they wake up.  

as for going on Disney....I’m going to pass on that.   I have never been a fan of Disney and everything they touch just gets more and more expensive.  7 day cruise on royal in a 4 bedroom suite for 10 people....12k.  7 day cruise in a 1 bedroom suite on Disney for 4 people....35k.  It’s not that we don’t have the money to do that....it’s the principle of it which makes me say no. 

thanks again for the replies.  I will keep reading them as they come through as this is something id be very interested in doing.   Never know how mich longer you’ll be around so might as well do stuff If and when you can.  

• Like 1

I have three girls 12, 11 & 9 that have been on ships where they have been a total of 9 kids.  They actually prefer a smaller group of kids on board with them.  They love going to the kids activities.  They do not mind being at sea for days on end.  When we have done port heavy 12-24 day cruises, we have to fight them to get off the ship.  I think passengers expect there to be no kids on a transatlantic, sorry but I pull my kids out of school for vacationing all the time!  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Mom2kmo said:

I have three girls 12, 11 & 9 that have been on ships where they have been a total of 9 kids.  They actually prefer a smaller group of kids on board with them.  They love going to the kids activities.  They do not mind being at sea for days on end.  When we have done port heavy 12-24 day cruises, we have to fight them to get off the ship.  I think passengers expect there to be no kids on a transatlantic, sorry but I pull my kids out of school for vacationing all the time!  

We did the pride of America Hawaii cruise last year when our little guy was 2.5.  I’m pretty sure he was the only little one on the boat. 

• Like 1

I have been on several TA’s, though I have not taken children with me.  As others have said, you cannot count on having playmates for your kids, though there is a chance you will.  There have been some preschool age children on some cruises. With so few aboard, any decently behaved kids will likely be doted on by crew and some passengers.  If you believe your kids’ temperaments (and yours) are suitable for a TA, then go for it.

Another good old thing about TA, the rates can be so great, you might be able to get two connecting cabins or one much nicer cabin for a low price.  That could make naptime and bedtime more pleasant for all.

16 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

I have been on several TA’s, though I have not taken children with me.  As others have said, you cannot count on having playmates for your kids, though there is a chance you will.  There have been some preschool age children on some cruises. With so few aboard, any decently behaved kids will likely be doted on by crew and some passengers.  If you believe your kids’ temperaments (and yours) are suitable for a TA, then go for it.

Another good old thing about TA, the rates can be so great, you might be able to get two connecting cabins or one much nicer cabin for a low price.  That could make naptime and bedtime more pleasant for all.

This is exactly what caught my eye.  The price was insanely inexpensive when compared to others.  We had never given the transatlantic much thought in the past before as we thought they would be crazy expensive.  

18 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

I can't imagine.  

I agree with you. We have not as we no longer have small children,, but on our cruises over 9 days we have seen very few kids. I just can't imagine taking kids, especially small ones on a long cruise when there are going to be several sea days it just doesn't seem like a good time for anyone, including the kids. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dominicr said:

This is exactly what caught my eye.  The price was insanely inexpensive when compared to others.  We had never given the transatlantic much thought in the past before as we thought they would be crazy expensive.  

Relocation cruises, including TA, are often less expensive.  One way flights can sometimes be an issue, though not always.  Some airlines and cruiselines make good one way deals.  Some people use airline miles.  The cruises are often too long for families with children.  Inexperienced cruisers and cruisers who dislike sea days do not like TA cruises.

I know you were attracted to this one particular by the nursery.  And that might be best for you.  Just to add a thought: some families instead bring a trusted or beloved adult along as a part time caregiver.  Then they can choose any ship and dates and cabins, knowing they have all the extra child care they need, while the extra person gets a memorable trip.  As some TA’s are unbelievably inexpensive, the cost savings of shopping around potentially could offset (or nearly so) the extra fare.  Or maybe this is already the best deal out there; I have not looked.  Anyway, such arrangements have worked out wonderfully if you have the right person with the time and inclination.

16 hours ago, Sauer-kraut said:

So many naysayers on this thread!

There are few children, but they are well looked after by the kids club.  They do parades and circus acts etc.  Transatlantic cruises are very easy to do with children, you can keep them to their nap schedule.  Just bring a couple of folding umbrella strollers because wide strollers will not fit down hallways very well.   You can get your little ones ready for bed and take them to dinner where they can fall asleep if you have a late seating time.   Transatlantic cruises are very relaxing, and if you are up for being ready to take fussy children out of a venue instead of letting the crankiness escalate, your fellows passengers will be happy. 

Not meaning to be negative but I think there are places for small children and a transatlantic cruise is not one of them.and yes you are right about the passports 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

Relocation cruises, including TA, are often less expensive.  One way flights can sometimes be an issue, though not always.  Some airlines and cruiselines make good one way deals.  Some people use airline miles.  The cruises are often too long for families with children.  Inexperienced cruisers and cruisers who dislike sea days do not like TA cruises.

I know you were attracted to this one particular by the nursery.  And that might be best for you.  Just to add a thought: some families instead bring a trusted or beloved adult along as a part time caregiver.  Then they can choose any ship and dates and cabins, knowing they have all the extra child care they need, while the extra person gets a memorable trip.  As some TA’s are unbelievably inexpensive, the cost savings of shopping around potentially could offset (or nearly so) the extra fare.  Or maybe this is already the best deal out there; I have not looked.  Anyway, such arrangements have worked out wonderfully if you have the right person with the time and inclination.

We have been on two cruises with grandchildren and one was when the youngest was only three.

We booked ourselves a suite and  the family members were able to book an inexpensive

cabin to save money. The children slept in our cabin most of the time. It worked out well. It wasn't a

transatlantic but both times there were lots of sea days.

5 hours ago, newmexicoNita said:

Not meaning to be negative but I think there are places for small children and a transatlantic cruise is not one of them.and yes you are right about the passports 

That’s why they have Oceania for people like you who don’t want kids on a transatlantic.  Can’t wait till my girls are 14, they’ll be cruising Oceania and be getting a lot of dirty looks!  

• Like 3

Hi,

We were just on the Escape in October from NYC to Bermuda. If it’s the same crew in the Splash Academy, it will be fantastic. Our 3 year old loved her “new school.” I wasn’t sure she would spend anytime there but she loved it and asked to go every day. The staff were wonderful. I would go on a transatlantic with our daughter for sure on the Escape. The only thing is that the kids pool is quite deep. However, the area with the kids’ slide and spray area were a lot of fun.