Sending ‘do not tumble dry’ items to the laundry

I’m on Explorer at the moment and wanted to send some machine washable trousers to the laundry. They are not to be tumble dried however and do not want to risk spoiling them. I have asked our steward and a female steward but neither can answer the question of how the laundry deals with such items. I’ve tried the search function on CC but it doesn’t seem to be working

Does anyone know the answer? Sorry if it’s been asked before. 

Personally i wouldn't send anything to the laundry where there are special instructions. We send out our laundry all the time when on Regent but I only send items that i am not worried about for laundry and use their dry cleaning for anything i am concerned about.  

I recommend using the laundry facilities and washing them to your own specifications.  I assume if you don't have them tumble dried that you hang them up which you could do in your bathroom. 

Regent laundry can be real tough on clothes. I have had them wreck a couple of good dress shirts. (they actually compensated me for the shirt damages before asking!!)  If it is something special or delicate, sent it they dry cleaning, or use their machines. 

J

I believe that the drying machines used in commercial laundries are not the same as domestic dryers in that they simulate air drying and don't run as hot. They are also very very large and this helps in not ruining clothes that are not meant to be tumble dried. I normally don't take the risk and wash these items in the laundry room and then hang it to dry in our room. I find that clothes I hang up to dry in the  bathroom usually dry overnight.

• Like 1

Thank you to everyone who answered my question.

I have washed my clothes in the laundrette and hung them to dry over the bath. The ship is moving so much that they are  waving around!

The laundry is great for men’s shirts, pyjamas and socks and they do a great job, but it’s not worth risking more delicate items. 

13 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

I've often wondered about this since I have plenty of tops that I prefer never to see the inside of a dryer.

Me too and I am very very interested in these comments.   I have golf shirts and trousers that I like to wear off the course - they dry in a flash of course and do not like tumble dryers.  I don't think I can risk sending these items to the laundry on board.  And I am not sure about sending them to be dry cleaned either.

• Like 1

For my delicate items, I either hand wash or use a laundry bag in the machines and then hang dry in the bath tub. Depending on the item, I either iron myself or send to the laundry for pressing and they do an excellent job, never had a problem.

14 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

Me too and I am very very interested in these comments.   I have golf shirts and trousers that I like to wear off the course - they dry in a flash of course and do not like tumble dryers.  I don't think I can risk sending these items to the laundry on board.  And I am not sure about sending them to be dry cleaned either.

On our last cruise i sent all my DH's golf shirts and trousers to the laundry and they did a very good job. No issues at all. Most of my blouses are silk so i have them dry cleaned onboard.  They did a great job of them as well. 

On 11/23/2019 at 12:15 PM, 1982CruzStart said:

Personally i wouldn't send anything to the laundry where there are special instructions. We send out our laundry all the time when on Regent but I only send items that i am not worried about for laundry and use their dry cleaning for anything i am concerned about.  

I recommend using the laundry facilities and washing them to your own specifications.  I assume if you don't have them tumble dried that you hang them up which you could do in your bathroom. 

This is exactly what we've done in the past, and plan to do on our upcoming 32 night cruise in December. We assume that special instructions might be ignored, so we only send items that we're not worried about.

For our long cruise, we plan tp use the launderette for items that we don't trust the laundry to treat gently.

9 hours ago, 1982CruzStart said:

On our last cruise i sent all my DH's golf shirts and trousers to the laundry and they did a very good job. No issues at all. Most of my blouses are silk so i have them dry cleaned onboard.  They did a great job of them as well. 

That is good to know.  Mine are the "instant dry" sort of material and very sensitive to heat.  Are his the same sort of material ?

2 hours ago, 1982CruzStart said:

Maybe not. When i launder them at home they all go into the dryer without any issues. 

Good information and thank you!   My (Swiss Dryer) has "melted" one pair of trousers already.  I am going to get some liquid soap in San Diego before the cruise, wash and the hang the trousers...then iron on low heat.  Great warning and again many thanks!

Be really careful with the irons in the laundry when you go to press something.  I ruined a jumpsuit when I set the iron and took the first pass with the iron.  It was too high and melted the fabric.  First time to wear it.  That really pissed me off.  My fault because I didn't bring a towel in to test the iron for residue and heat first. 

We had a tour of the laundry facility on a ship. There is no space to hang dry anything and it is hot and humid down there. 

Does the Mariner have a passenger launderette? I plan to wash a few delicate blouses myself and may have to touch them up with an iron.

Edited by Floridiana

15 minutes ago, Floridiana said:

We had a tour of the laundry facility on a ship. There is no space to hang dry anything and it is hot and humid down there. 

Does the Mariner have a passenger launderette? I plan to wash a few delicate blouses myself and may have to touch them up with an iron.

Yes, all Regent ships have a passenger launderette. 

6 hours ago, Floridiana said:

Yes, there's one on several of the residential floors, if not all.

Plus Regent provides the detergent. If you like to use fabric softener sheets in the dryer you'll need to bring your own. No cost to you to use the washers and dryers.

i learned the hard way about the irons. Be careful, but be sure to test the iron before you begin to iron. You never know who used the iron before you, and how hot a setting they used. I fried a pair of favorite trousers on my first Regent cruise.