Blu pros and cons....worth it over Veranda regular

a.madruga

Got an upgrade to Aqua once on Summit.  We had a cabin on deck 11. Hated the location. There was too much motion, uncovered veranda, and the smell of the food from the buffet.  Deck 9 would have been a better location. We liked eating in Blu. It is quieter than MDR. However, we often asked for food from the MDR menu. Next cruise, we chose a regular veranda. 

• Like 1

That post just convinced me... I have always enjoyed Celebrity MDR.. And the service in it.. I like the location my current cabin is in and the slightly bigger balcony so I'm going to save my money and stop driving myself crazy! 

• Like 2

On 12/12/2019 at 10:53 PM, terrydtx said:

My sister and BIL have been on 12 Celebrity cruises and they prefer the M class ships with AQ. They prefer the 11th deck aft facing cabins that overlook the Sunset bar because there is a door and stairway just outside the aft facing cabins that go down to the Sunset bar on the 10th deck. This makes it very easy to walk down and get a drink and then enjoy the drink with any live music from their oversized aft facing veranda. This information from my sister sold us and with the CBP perk we will be using those stairs a lot. There are only 5 of these aft facing AQ cabins and they book fast and early. When we booked our 2021 Infinity cruise the week the cruise was released by X we snapped up the last AQ aft facing cabin #1138. My sister also said they love Blu compared to the MDR for dinners, they do not like the big crowds and noise in the MDR.  On their last X cruise earlier this year when they booked AQ was sold out and they settled for a concierge class cabin and they said the lack of Blu and cabin location made this cabin not worth the extra cost.  

When we started looking at cruises for places we wanted to go in 2021 we set a budget for what we wanted to spend. The Infinity AQ cabin fell easily within our budget so for us it was an easy choice. I say if you can afford the cost go for the best you can afford. 

The aft cabins on deck 11 on M class ships have the disadvantage of being under the area where the rooftop movies are shown. There are other threads that discuss this, including reports that the noise can be heard not only on the verandah, but inside the cabins. There is also noise from the bar floating up too.

We stayed in an aft concierge cabin on deck 7 that had a huge balcony and loved it. 

7 hours ago, ILgirl said:

Food is so subjective but I will say I did my first verandah/MDR after 6 straight cruises in Aqua/Blu.  I'll never book Aqua again.  I thought the food was far superior in the MDR.  Service was great as well.  It was nice to enjoy a simple meal of rare prime rib rather than having most items"gussied" up with pea and celery purée.

I understand what you are saying. However we don’t eat much food, and just find we enjoy presentation more these days. 

One thing we did miss onboard in all dining rooms except the buffet was the lack of Indian food. One night we commented on this to our lovely Blu waiter and he summoned over Maître D whom had also been very nice. Next night we were presented with this fabulous Indian buffet for two! Diners around us kept asking where we had ordered it from. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/14/2019 at 1:10 PM, Boatharbour said:

The aft cabins on deck 11 on M class ships have the disadvantage of being under the area where the rooftop movies are shown. There are other threads that discuss this, including reports that the noise can be heard not only on the verandah, but inside the cabins. There is also noise from the bar floating up too.

We stayed in an aft concierge cabin on deck 7 that had a huge balcony and loved it. 

I love those cabins (not as much since they took out the amazing showerheads and sofas in the renovation, though). There really isn't much noise from the bar, and the entertainment has been excellent. We enjoy sitting out there listening. The movies are problematic, but they don't play all day long. When we were on Summit pre-renovation, we only heard the movie while in port and out on our balcony. Afterwards they must have removed some of the soundproofing because we could faintly hear the movie every time. They don't show films early in the morning or at night, so I just put in earplugs if I was napping and it was fine.

On 12/11/2019 at 4:43 PM, a.madruga said:

It’s 220 more than regular veranda for the two of us and yes price includes taxes and port fees for the two of us

We would book it if on S class.   We like the Persian gardens.  We have not dined in Blu, but if it is similiar to specialty dining I would give it a try.

We have spent much more booking the Persian Gardens pass and then booking a specialty dining pass for the full cruise.  The Persian Gardens is a nice place to relax on Sea Days on S class.

Edited by NMTraveller

On 12/11/2019 at 10:41 PM, Knighton said:

I wouldn't book it as an original booking, but I made a moveup offer that made it worthwhile.  Just did the minimum and they took it.  Dinner in Blu was really good.  My son and I would compare main dining and blu menu each evening to see  which had more stuff we'd like.

Personally I'd treat all cruises individually. I've been tracking Alaskan cruise pricing for some time as it's one of those that needs ticking off the bucket list when the right deal comes along. 

What I can say is that some of the opening deals won't be beaten with the higher classes of cabins such as aqua and suite so no need to wait for a move up deal in many cases. 

When considering a regular balcony with specialty dining or aqua for Blu take a look at the restaurants available to you. Millennium like other M class ships has pretty limited specialty dining. For me personally Le Petit Chef is very much a one and done deal. I'm really not bothered about Tuscan Grill and whilst we very much enjoy Sushi On 5 it's a la carte. Something those booking M cass ships should consider IMHO as I know I'm not alone with my thoughts regarding LPC! 

• Like 1

IMO I would book a regular Veranda, well located in the middle of the ship with cabins above and below.  With the money saved, book a specialty unlimited dining package.  The cabin is the same size, the Aqua amenities in the cabin- IMO worthless.  Blu isn't great at all- it is crowded and sometimes you wait on a long line to be seated- tables on top of each other.  

The Persian garden isn't great either- again IMO- has some warm lounge chairs but the area is very hot and humid- so not for everyone-  When we got AQ we used it for 15 minutes the entire cruise.  

If you want to try it- you can pay a small fee and try it for a day-We would only consider if the price was the same as CC or a regular balcony and we could get a well located stateroom.  You do get an extra captains club point per day if that is important to you- but you also get the extra credit with the CC.

• Like 2

On 12/13/2019 at 5:34 PM, NCHPcruiser said:

Just one more vote for Aqua.   We much prefer a smaller dining venue so BLU works great for us.  

We STRONGLY prefer BLU to the MDR because of the service (and the food). We are old school and remember the days when everyone was fixed dining and your waitstaff got to know your name and your personal preferences. That service was a special part of the cruise experience.  After the first night, they knew that my DH wanted a cappuccino after dinner and I want my water with no ice, etc.  It felt like luxury. I really missed that when the cruises went to anytime dining and even fixed dining had over worked staff.  In BLU you have a very talented dedicated staff who strive to anticipate and satisfy your needs. Even though you are not assigned a certain table, they will try to seat you with the same waitstaff each night if possible.  Our next cruise is on the Edge and I thought about booking a regular Verandah and trying all 4 restaurants but I would miss the personalized service of Blu so we booked  Aquaclass. That is my 2 cents. 

On 12/25/2019 at 12:10 AM, NMTraveller said:

We would book it if on S class.   We like the Persian gardens.  We have not dined in Blu, but if it is similar to specialty dining I would give it a try.

Blu is NOT similar  a Specialty Restaurant.  It is a small dining venue but with fewer entree choices than in the MDR.   Often the wait staff remember your preferences which is really nice. We enjoy it and worth a try.

11 hours ago, VitaminSea53 said:

We STRONGLY prefer BLU to the MDR because of the service (and the food). We are old school and remember the days when everyone was fixed dining and your waitstaff got to know your name and your personal preferences. That service was a special part of the cruise experience.  After the first night, they knew that my DH wanted a cappuccino after dinner and I want my water with no ice, etc.  It felt like luxury. I really missed that when the cruises went to anytime dining and even fixed dining had over worked staff.  In BLU you have a very talented dedicated staff who strive to anticipate and satisfy your needs. Even though you are not assigned a certain table, they will try to seat you with the same waitstaff each night if possible.  Our next cruise is on the Edge and I thought about booking a regular Verandah and trying all 4 restaurants but I would miss the personalized service of Blu so we booked  Aquaclass. That is my 2 cents. 

Have sailed on the Edge really like the ship.  However fyi the location of blu isn't ideal- Not like the s class ships- it is next to a jewelry store and not nearly as private- you might be very disappointed.  AQ IMO is nothing like a specialty restaurant-   Also the concept and the ability to dine in three dining rooms is great- they are all like private restaurants, with different ambiance and food-  A great idea-  We sail in suites and dine often in specialty restaurants, but on the edge ate twice in two MDR's they were great and the service excellent.

11 hours ago, VitaminSea53 said:

Agree 100%. Blu and Luminae as private dining rooms have superior service to the MDR. Both restaurants do a great job of paying attention to detail to learn your preferences. 

The four Edge restaurants all share much of the same menu and the staff won't have the same opportunities to do this like Luminae and Blu so have an immediate disadvantage. 

18 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

Have sailed on the Edge really like the ship.  However fyi the location of blu isn't ideal- Not like the s class ships- it is next to a jewelry store and not nearly as private- you might be very disappointed.  AQ IMO is nothing like a specialty restaurant-   Also the concept and the ability to dine in three dining rooms is great- they are all like private restaurants, with different ambiance and food-  A great idea-  We sail in suites and dine often in specialty restaurants, but on the edge ate twice in two MDR's they were great and the service excellent.

When people refer to Luminae and Blu as private dining rooms they really mean they are not open to all. They don't really refer to people taking a peek inside. :) 

“Not like the s class ships- it is next to a jewelry store and not nearly as private- you might be very disappointed.  AQ IMO is nothing like a specialty restaurant-“

I don’t mind that it is next to a jewelry store and I realize that on Edge Blu doesn’t have a good view.  Neither of these issues are that important. As long as the food is good and the service is ‘personalized’, I will be satisfied.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VitaminSea53 said:

“Not like the s class ships- it is next to a jewelry store and not nearly as private- you might be very disappointed.  AQ IMO is nothing like a specialty restaurant-“

I don’t mind that it is next to a jewelry store and I realize that on Edge Blu doesn’t have a good view.  Neither of these issues are that important. As long as the food is good and the service is ‘personalized’, I will be satisfied.  

don’t set your expectations too high.  Not personalized service as the original blu on the s class ships.  Less staff very close tables. Our last experience in Aq the waiter served food to the table next to us going over our table.  Like one long table.  Not private at all

On 12/26/2019 at 5:11 PM, Cruise a holic said:

don’t set your expectations too high.  Not personalized service as the original blu on the s class ships.  Less staff very close tables. Our last experience in Aq the waiter served food to the table next to us going over our table.  Like one long table.  Not private at all

Some of the two tops are close together but certainly no closer than Blu two tops on S and M class ships. 

People often comment about the space of these tables in Blu most of the two tops in the regular MDR are just as close. And although I've never entered Luminae with a tape measure the two tops there are not that much further apart. 

For anyone interested in aqua class onboard the new E class ships you might find this video helpful as you'll be able to see the IV cabins, Blu and the spa in it. 

2 hours ago, Moby Jones said:

Some of the two tops are close together but certainly no closer than Blu two tops on S and M class ships. 

People often comment about the space of these tables in Blu most of the two tops in the regular MDR are just as close. And although I've never entered Luminae with a tape measure the two tops there are not that much further apart. 

For anyone interested in aqua class onboard the new E class ships you might find this video helpful as you'll be able to see the IV cabins, Blu and the spa in it. 

I also suggest you look at a regular balcony cabin on youtube .  The room , perhaps with the exception of a shower head, atomizer of smelly stuff and horrible ice  tea is identical.  Best to save your money and dine in specialty restaurants if you want really special service and good food.  To spend a few hundred dollars more for AQ IMO not worth it.

I prefer aqua class rooms for many of the same reasons people do. Tho if I can get an aft c1 at a reasonable price I’d take that. I love the Persian gardens and use it everyday. It’s great after being at the beach or in the sun all day. Cleans your skin by going in the different rooms. The beds I find very comfortable and yes they all are different warmth but very relaxing in all. Blu I do like the better service and it’s a more personal approach I feel there. The choices are good, can always order more if wanted. I enjoy breakfast in blu much more than the cafe or dining room. like many mentioned they get to know you very quickly in blu and preferences and will find things not on the menu for you. The tea in the afternoon is good but it’s not everyone’s favorite. I always have drink package and like the tea better in the cafe al bacio.  But it’s personal preference. It’s also catching the rooms at a good price for me.  I always have to factor in that I will purchase the cruise pass for Persian gardens if I am not in aqua room. Which is about 200 for 10 day cruise.  I tend to find great deals and usually get a group rate from one of the many Ta’s I deal with. 

3 minutes ago, diesel1973 said:

Does Blu vary their menu daily? If not I would think one might get bored with the selections.

Breakfast is the same usual to order but good variety of things. The dinner menu changes nightly.  It usually similar to mAin dining room but prepared in Different way. There’s always the std menu to choose from also ie salmon beef etc that is in main dining room  I always found multiple things to try and liked on the dinner menu. 

7 minutes ago, diesel1973 said:

Does Blu vary their menu daily? If not I would think one might get bored with the selections.

Here is a YouTube video of the daily Blu menus and actual dishes served each day. This should answer your question and it helped sell us on Aq Class cabin.

Thanks for the reply. It's been a while since we have been in Blue. We were upgraded to Aqua and while enjoying Blue the downfall was we went from a midship Veranda to a room at the very front of the ship. We could watch them reading the owners manual in the bridge!!!