Experience yesterday on disembarking FLL to catch flight.

DaveOKC

We often see post on here as to how early one can book a flight from FLL after a cruise, so I thought I would share my recent experience (from yesterday).  It was a Saturday, so lots of large ships in the port.

Our cruise was supposed to begin disembarkation at 8 AM but it got delayed until 9 AM.  We waited until about 1/2 of the ship's numbers/colors were called and we disembarked (about 9:25 Am).  Got our bags, went through Customs (5 minutes) and caught a taxi to the airport.  We were at Terminal 3, but still arrived at the ticket counter by 10 AM.  We were not able to check our bags, so had to wait for 30 minutes due to our flight being 4 plus hours later, but nevertheless, we could have easily caught an 11 AM (or even 10:45 AM) flight.

Due to the one hour delay in disembarkation, the crowd backed up all over the ship, but Holland handled it well IMO.  People with close flights and those with people waiting to pick them up at the pier were very anxious to get off of course,

Edited by DaveOKC

14 hours ago, nhraformula00 said:

I seen that there were 8 ships in port yesterday. I wonder how crowded other terminals were at the airport!!!! 

Terminal One seemed VERY busy - traffic was a mess as we passed it.  Terminal 2 and 3 were not busy.

12 hours ago, cheeseclan said:

Most airlines say that you have to check in your bag 45 minutes to an hour before a domestic flight for it to make it onto that flight.  I am glad you made it but still too close for me. 

Good point - I did not check bags for an early flight (ours was at 2:40 PM).  Baggage is a mess at FLL - SOME airlines will not let you check them prior to 4 hours before your flight - resulting in many people hanging out near the checkin area waiting.

1 hour ago, DaveOKC said:

Good point - I did not check bags for an early flight (ours was at 2:40 PM).  Baggage is a mess at FLL - SOME airlines will not let you check them prior to 4 hours before your flight - resulting in many people hanging out near the checkin area waiting.

I hope you did not sit in FLL - a truly dreadful airport experience - for hours waiting for your flight.  I would have paid to store bags or checked them in as soon as possible, and then headed somewhere fun for lunch before returning to clear TSA and board the flight.

1 hour ago, JohninDC said:

I hope you did not sit in FLL - a truly dreadful airport experience - for hours waiting for your flight.  I would have paid to store bags or checked them in as soon as possible, and then headed somewhere fun for lunch before returning to clear TSA and board the flight.

I think really depends on the terminal. I've generally flown out of Terminal 1 (Westjet) and after the renovations it... is still boring, but at least feels pleasant and not dreary.

I've been in Terminal 2 once before. Fairly certain that it fits your description.

18 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

We often see post on here as to how early one can book a flight from FLL after a cruise, so I thought I would share my recent experience (from yesterday). 

Thanks for this. To clarify, you used the standard line and not the Global Entry/Mobile passport line?

5 hours ago, JohninDC said:

We walked over to Terminal 4 for a nice free lunch at Kafe Karik, which took up quite a bit of the time.

48 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

My credit card provides access to Passport Lounges which uses Kafe Karik (spelling).  I get $28 pp credit per visit - nice deal IMO.

Kalik, like the Bahamian beer.

Yes, Priority Pass gives you a $28 credit at Kafe Kalik.  Good catch that they have one in Terminal 4.  Thanks for sharing.  I don't think Priority Pass has any lounges at FLL if I recall.  Should be noted that this is only really accessible if you are flying out of terminal 3 or 4 (they connect post-security).

Edited by BNBR

We got off the Celebrity Reflection in Fort Lauderdale on Friday Dec 20th and after 25 plus cruises I have to say this was the most disorganized disembarkation ever. The ship docked before 7 a.m. The gangway for some reason was late in being hooked up which made every schedule about 30 minutes late. Then customs and immigration decided to staff only 2 counters for anyone who was other than a U.S. citizen. In addition to the low manpower there was no facial recognition system in place. All of this meant an hour and a half wait on line.

We missed our 11.30 flight even after running for a cab instead of our pre paid Celebrity transfer. Many others were put in the same predicament. We waited 5 hours for our next flight. Our travelling companions got home the next day.

There are lessons to be learned by Celebrity here and by Customs andImmigration if they care about their image...which is doubtful.

Why there is no line for people with TSA pre-check at the terminal is beyond me.

We also have learned something here about our future choices.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, intrepid55 said:

Why there is no line for people with TSA pre-check at the terminal is beyond me.

Are you saying that there was no TSA pre-check line at the airport?  If so, which terminal?

TSA has nothing to do with disembarkation from the ship.  That's Customs and Border Patrol.  Fort Lauderdale is one of the few ports that has US Global Entry but that is not the same as TSA pre-check (although it includes it).

Added:  I am sorry about the missed flight.  That must have been a nightmare.

Edited by capriccio

No. I am not saying there was no TSA pre check at the airport. What I am saying that if they used the Global Entry when disembarking then the wait at the cruise port could be greatly shortened. There was no Global Entry offered and I have it. U.S citizens were expedited. No one else.

One and a half hour in line is unnecessary and unreasonable and does nothing to endear you to either the Cruise line or the country.

I can recall a few years ago when entering the U.K. for example, that the immigration officer boarded the ship a few days before landing and checked the passengers paperwork. I call this efficiency at its highest and shows what you can do if you try!

On 12/15/2019 at 6:34 PM, nhraformula00 said:

I seen that there were 8 ships in port yesterday. I wonder how crowded other terminals were at the airport!!!! 

There are four terminals at the FLL airport so one may be packed and the others not as crowded.