Transatlantic crossing

SewKate5

It will be our first cruise ever on the 3rd Jan 20 and we are celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary. I  have a couple of questions please.

Is there a hairdryer in the room or should I bring one?

Do we get free water in the mini bar - we will be in Princess Grill.

Is a spa pass worth it? We want to swim and have a sauna/steam room. We will also use the gym. Has anybody done any yoga classes.

What it the ambient temperature on board? Will I need a warm jersey and a coat? Do I need a jacket/wrap for the evenings?

Many thanks 

Enjoy your cruise and happy anniversary!  I just returned from a roundtrip crossing and can answer some of your questions.  (We were in a Queens Grill suite.)

-I believe the Princess Grill suites have hairdryers.

-We had water; I can't answer for your suite.

-I don't know about the spa pass, although I did use the gym (treadmill only) on a number of mornings.

-As far as the temperature onboard, I usually wore a sweater or fleece vest during the day.  For the evenings,  I wore a shawl over my dress or a festive jacket, as I found the ship to be cool.  I wore my coat (actually puffy jacket) with hat and gloves when we walked on deck (except for one very mild day). I also needed it when we waited for our car in Brooklyn at the end of the trip.

I hope this helps.  We loved the ship and had a wonderful time and wish you the same!

Congratulations on your anniversary and your first crossing.

It's a while since I've been in Princess Grill so I can't remember whether they have the somewhat feeble hairdryers supplied in Britannia cabins or the much better ones in QG. Either will do the job though.

There have been varying reports of being charged or not for water in PG.

I find the ship cool, some areas worse than others so I usually have a wrap or evening jacket or cardigan for daytime.

Have a great time.

My wife due to her personal preference brings her own personal hair dryer on board.

Also we do sometimes find the restaurants ex. Britannia, Golden Lion and Royal Court Theater air conditioning to be a bit cool.

My wife also brings a scarf, wrap etc. on board just in case it is needed for comfort.

Yes we do adjust the thermo in the cabin at times with it's coolness. If there is a question, the steward/stewardess is very happy to inform the engineers to check it out for an adjustment. 

We always are happy and comfortable on the Queen Mary 2 during all our travels... 

On a TA in June we were in PG and water was always replaced at no charge.  We did have the drink package,  but I don't think it was because of that.  Our detailed daily bill printout didn't show a charge for water. Happy Anniversary and enjoy. The staff in the lounge and dinning room are fantastic.  They will help to make your special occasion special!

I find the temperature in the public rooms to be on the cool side, so I usually wear a sport coat when I am out and about.  And this comes from someone who prefers cool and cold.

I use the gym everyday and find it quite well-equipped.  However I have never taken any classes.

10 hours ago, Liberal_Baggie said:

on a 7 day crossing as you will run out of things to do if you can’t get on deck for sunbathing🚢

I have only been reading this board for a couple of years, but this is the first time I have seen anyone suggest that it's even possible to run out of things to do on a 7-day Cunard TA crossing.  Do the long-timers here think I'm right on this?  (Or does the little ship icon mean that that Liberal_Baggie is pulling the OP's chain?)

5 hours ago, Neuhoftraveler said:

I have only been reading this board for a couple of years, but this is the first time I have seen anyone suggest that it's even possible to run out of things to do on a 7-day Cunard TA crossing.  Do the long-timers here think I'm right on this?  (Or does the little ship icon mean that that Liberal_Baggie is pulling the OP's chain?)

Neuhoftraveler,

We too agree with you that there is always a variety of items and interests that can be challenging to cover in a given day to accomplish on board the QM2. Then there is finding time for personal R&R time and maybe missing those activities you would hope will be repeated to attend.

One of the main reasons we book any sailing is also personal time to recoup away from home responsibilities and demands.

IMHO, Cunard on the QM2 has quite a large variety of items to select during each hourly segment on the Daily Programme.

Thank you to those CC'ers that have taken the time to post Daily Programmes from their sailings that one can even review sample activities you can anticipate looking forward too.

I purchased the 7 day spa pass on my recent transatlantic and thought $120 was a pretty good deal. I do think they sell a few too many passes though. The sauna/stem room and aqua therapy pool are very good but it was sometime a struggle to find loungers to relax on

We bought a 7 day pass on our crossing last April, it was our 6th crossing & we thought we really should try it out and we thought it might be a wet crossing so we wouldn't do as much deck walking (they were only offering full week passes then) While its a nice spa I wouldn't bother spending the money to do it again - I might consider a 3 day pass if it was on offer & the weather was bad. The pavilion pool is fine for swimming on a crossing though doesn't have the water features of the spa pool but its 1 hot tub gets a lot of use. I'd suggest you do a spa tour when you board having had a quick look at the other pools on offer and decide if its worth it to you. That said if you want sauna/steam on QM2 thats the only option unlike the other ships where a same sex sauna is available in the changing rooms. Gym is fine though can be busy in the mornings. Haven't done yoga though my son took the fencing classes & enjoyed them. My husband wears short sleeves around the ship I tend to wear a cardigan/ long sleeved top during the day. In the evenings he often feels too warm in his jacket if a room is full but we know cooler corridors  or a brief step outside will cool him down. I usually take a chiffony type wrap to be on the safe side but rarely feel I need it - and I usually feel the cold. In the cabin I set the temp a couple of notches above midway. You'll need a coat for walking round outside (& should take hat & gloves in case of needing to abandon ship it says in the brochure!) though weirdly you may get a day you feel you can sit in the outside hot tubs 🙂 I'm sure you'll have a lovely time exploring the ship & gazing out across the ocean. Congratulations on your anniversary. 

Edited by wenlyn

On 12/29/2019 at 4:00 PM, Mich455 said:

I purchased the 7 day spa pass on my recent transatlantic and thought $120 was a pretty good deal. I do think they sell a few too many passes though. The sauna/stem room and aqua therapy pool are very good but it was sometime a struggle to find loungers to relax on

They are limiting the number of 7 day spa passes (They did in Aug West TA and we hope this still stands for 3rd Jan) 

I believe it was approx 40 due to the number of people using the spa environment and it limiting the amount of space avail for those having treatments, who then also get to use the general facilities etc. 

Its the first thing we always buy once onboard QM2 especially for the winter crossings where the SPA is a welcome space to unwind and relax.