Automatic 20% gratuity on specialty restaurant price??

ghstudio

Just noticed that Celebrity's statement about the increased gratuities says that the 20% will be added to Specialty Restaurant reservations.  I think this is new...and a big increase in the cost of dining in a specialty restaurant....which is already very pricey.

Is this new?

This is what the website's FAQ says:

For your convenience, we automatically add gratuities for your restaurant and stateroom services to your onboard SeaPass® account on a daily basis in the following amounts, which may be adjusted at your discretion:

$15.50 per person, per day in standard accommodations
$16.00 per person, per day in Concierge Class and AquaClass® staterooms
$19.00 per person, per day in suites
This gratuity is shared by your stateroom attendant, dining services staff, and housekeeping staff members who help enhance your vacation experience. At your discretion, the gratuity payments may be adjusted onboard at Guest Relations, in which case they will not automatically be added to your onboard SeaPass® account. A 20% gratuity will be automatically added to all beverages, mini bar purchases, spa and salon services. Additional gratuities may be added at your discretion.

There is no indication that Specialty Restaurant staff are excluded from the daily gratuities or that there is a separate charge for gratuities for these staff members.

On the other hand, this information email to passengers in December clearly shows a separate 20% gratuity charge for Specialty Restaurants.

1428296857_ScreenShot2020-01-30at5_13_00PM.thumb.png.1bf6f6d608980ded7963ef3a946ee659.png

Conflicting information from Celebrity is neither new nor surprising. However, there was a similar question asked in a thread a year or so ago that suggested that the gratuity has been built into the price for some years now. Maybe Celebrity is now trying to be more transparent, but that's just a WAG.

I think we need someone who has cruised since January 6th to confirm or deny that they are adding 20% to specialty dining. Since this letter is about the new gratuity rates, it's seems possible to me, at least, that this is a new change as well.

If that is now called  "a gratuity " for Specialty Dining..instead if the old service charge, we would not add or  leave anything in addition as we have in the past.

Once the spa went to 20%, i also do not add extra unless my  service was at a discounted price,

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jelayne said:

Last week DH booked reservations in Murano for a upcoming cruise, we just checked the charge and there was no gratuity added- regular $35 pp 1st night price.

Hopefully it isn't added on the night that you dine.

1 hour ago, MEcruzr said:

I think we need someone who has cruised since January 6th to confirm or deny that they are adding 20% to specialty dining. Since this letter is about the new gratuity rates, it's seems possible to me, at least, that this is a new change as well.

We cruised on the Edge January 12-19.  We ate at the Fine Cut, Eden, 3 times in Le Grand Bistro and 2 times for dinner in Raw on 5.  There was no 20% gratuity added.  Since that cruise I have booked 8 Specialy restaurants in the last week, no 20% gratuities added.

Hope this answers your question and is reassuring.

Edited by Oville
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Oville said:

We cruised on the Edge January 12-19.  We ate at the Fine Cut, Eden, 3 times in Le Grand Bistro and 2 times for dinner in Raw on 5.  There was no 20% gratuity added.  Since that cruise I have booked 8 Specialy restaurants in the last week, no 20% gratuities added.

Hope this answers your question and is reassuring.

Thank you for a very clear answer on this!!!

I always believed the 15% they 'used' to charge was built into the cost of specialty dining, which is now 20%.  We leave an 'extra' tip on top of what we think is already being paid. If some aren't leaving a tip, then the server etc is being deprived.  And if some think there's no tip included, then they may be way over-tipping. As some current sailors are saying, no additional % has been added to their bill;  this may indicate it's already included.

It would be good to have clarification on this policy. 

Edited by oceangoer2

20 minutes ago, oceangoer2 said:

If some aren't leaving a tip, then the server etc is being deprived.

I don't believe this is the case.  From what the experienced Celebrity cruisers understand the "base" tip is included in the upcharge.   Like other areas many of us leave additional for outstanding service but it shouldn't be expected or required.

1 hour ago, wrk2cruise said:

I don't believe this is the case.  From what the experienced Celebrity cruisers understand the "base" tip is included in the upcharge.   Like other areas many of us leave additional for outstanding service but it shouldn't be expected or required.

I think I wasn't clear explaining my thought....it was 'if X IS NOT including the tip in the cost of the specialty meal, and the passenger does NOT leave a tip, then the server, etc is being deprived a tip.  My understanding has always been (experienced I guess - Elite + and enjoying several specialty meals) that the 'service charge - gratuity) IS included.  The waters are being muddied by some thinking that the grat MIGHT NOT be included, therefore a clear word from X explaining this inclusion will help the new cruisers to the line.

1 hour ago, like2cruise said:

I am guessing that the 20% gratuity they may be talking about is for the Ala Carte Specialty restaurants like Sushi on 5.  

We did not pay a 20% gratuity at Raw on 5 on January 17 or 18.  In fact our bills had a 15% reduction as we are Elite Plus.

6 hours ago, dkjretired said:

Ironic that when Specialty restaurants began on Celebrity, the service charge was the tip, clearly stated so at the time by Celebrity..

And it was $5 to $7 extra fee.

7 minutes ago, hcat said:

And it was $5 to $7 extra fee.

I think your thinking of the casual dining in the buffet. The first specialty was $25 pp and we were told it was fully the tip.  Another reason it was that high was for capacity control, there was only one restaurant and not everyone on board could go.