Princess Newbie questions

brewcrew

We are excited to be trying out Princess for the first time this spring on the Sky Princess.  We have done 9 Disney cruises and 2 Royal Caribbean.  I just have a couple questions..please forgive me if I just haven’t scrolled far enough back for the answers. 

1.  If our arrival time is at 2:00, can we get their earlier?  We really like to be on the ship closer to 11ish but don’t know how strict Princess is.

2.  On Disney, the dessert menu always had specialty teas and was included.  Does Princess have tea on their dessert menu and if so is it included or do I need to have that coffee card?  We are not getting the drink package because we don’t drink that much.

Thanks for your help!   We are looking so forward to this trip!!!

Hi,

You don't say what port you are using?

In general those boarding times are merely suggestions and not actually required times.

Tea and ordinary coffee is free.

I don't know what you mean by "specialty tea"?

I have not thought of tea as "dessert"  but as a beverage.

Boarding times are just a suggestion I usually get to the port around 11 a.m. with the medallion cruises boarding is usually quick.  Regarding teas hot tea bags are available in the buffet area for no extra charge including herbal.  Also at the specialty coffee shop you can purchase some hot teas I believe is the stash brand name.  You can also order hot tea in mdr and room service.  Princess ships also have a daily tea in a mdr each day from 3 to 4 p.m. which includes little sandwiches and scones and other desserts.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, riffatsea said:

Hi,

You don't say what port you are using?

In general those boarding times are merely suggestions and not actually required times.

Tea and ordinary coffee is free.

I don't know what you mean by "specialty tea"?

I have not thought of tea as "dessert"  but as a beverage.

We are leaving from Ft. Lauderdale.  Disney has flavored teas that just aren’t Lipton.  You would have them at the end of your meal if you chose along with dessert.  I’m really trying to decide if I need to buy the coffee card to have a tea or specialty coffee after dinner.  Thanks so much!

Flavored tea bags are available for free at meals ,room service and buffet.

I don't know any cruise line that charges for them.

Specialty coffee is something you pay for.

Regular coffee is free.

IF you just want one latte or capuccino at the end of dinner I'd just pay for that.

If you want several in the AM and then more at night then the coffee card might be useful for you.

IF you book a suite then the restaurant on board that serves suite breakfast gives you included specialty coffees.

Edited by riffatsea
  • Like 1

I don't remember all the selections of teas offered in the dining room. I usually order the chamomile. But I know they have others such as Earl Grey, peppermint, Lemon Lift, and various black teas. The coffee package would not do you any good for specialty teas in the dining room unless you want to pick up the tea bag at the International Café before dinner. I did that on our transatlantic cruise on the Crown Princess. It was worth purchasing the coffee package for me to get the tea bags and DH to get a cappuccino each night in the dining room. I got the package because the teas are supposed to be for the purchaser, but the purchaser can share the specialty coffees with someone else. We wouldn't do that for a cruise that's less than 12 nights long.

Edited by geoherb
  • Like 1

•  

I don't remember all the selections of teas offered in the dining room. I usually order the chamomile. But I know they have others such as Earl Grey, peppermint, Lemon Lift, and various black teas. The coffee package would not do you any good for specialty teas in the dining room unless you want to pick up the tea bag at the International Café before dinner

Why would you need to pay for tea in a pkg when it is free everywhere on board????

I must be missing something???

Edited by riffatsea

5 hours ago, avonlady6390 said:

Boarding times are just a suggestion I usually get to the port around 11 a.m. with the medallion cruises boarding is usually quick.  Regarding teas hot tea bags are available in the buffet area for no extra charge including herbal.  Also at the specialty coffee shop you can purchase some hot teas I believe is the stash brand name.  You can also order hot tea in mdr and room service.  Princess ships also have a daily tea in a mdr each day from 3 to 4 p.m. which includes little sandwiches and scones and other desserts.

There is no charge for the afternoon tea. The location will be published in the daily Patter.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, brewcrew said:

On Disney, the dessert menu always had specialty teas and was included.  Does Princess have tea on their dessert menu and if so is it included or do I need to have that coffee card?  We are not getting the drink package because we don’t drink that much.

That is a strange place to list teas. Tea is a beverage drunk all times of the day and at all points in a meal.

By the way some of the items you list are not teas but are tisanes.

Tea is made with the leaves of the Camellia sinensis which may be cured in various ways.

10 hours ago, riffatsea said:
  •  

I don't remember all the selections of teas offered in the dining room. I usually order the chamomile. But I know they have others such as Earl Grey, peppermint, Lemon Lift, and various black teas. The coffee package would not do you any good for specialty teas in the dining room unless you want to pick up the tea bag at the International Café before dinner

Why would you need to pay for tea in a pkg when it is free everywhere on board????

I must be missing something???

The Vanilla Bean specialty tea is yummy.:classic_love:

1 hour ago, brewcrew said:

I am DEFINITELY going to Afternoon Tea! 😃 

The tea the waiters walk around with for Afternoon Tea is standard Lipton. You can request a different tea or present your coffee card for a "specialty" tea...it takes a little bit of a wait to receive it.

Don't eat too much, unless you have late Traditional Dinner.  The tea ends only a couple of hours before Early Traditional.

They have a big rack of free tea bags in both the International Cafe and the buffet on Sky Princess.  The dining rooms may not have as big a selection, but if they don't have what you want on the first night your waiters will make sure it is available on the following nights.

Have also seen an afternoon tea ($) in the IC area a few times.  Trays of goodies and teapots on tables.  But the paid event really didn't look like it was any different than the free dining room event.  By the way, they also serve milk and cookies on the pool deck around 4, plus in the Sanctuary they bring around the cart with tea, milk, scones, sandwiches and cookies between 3 and 4 each day.

17 hours ago, brewcrew said:

1.  If our arrival time is at 2:00, can we get their earlier?  We really like to be on the ship closer to 11ish but don’t know how strict Princess is.

Yes

17 hours ago, brewcrew said:

2.  On Disney, the dessert menu always had specialty teas and was included.  Does Princess have tea on their dessert menu and if so is it included or do I need to have that coffee card?  We are not getting the drink package because we don’t drink that much.

Teas are free, either regular iced teams or flavored teas

21 hours ago, brewcrew said:

Since you are leaving from Ft Lauderdale, you can arrive earlier. I am assuming the suggested times you see are based on your cabin deck.  It's standard language that is not followed by many.  In Ft Lauderdale we usually get to port around 10:30-10:45 and boarding can start in an hour (ish)? 

Priority boarding starts off the boarding process, and then others based on the boarding pass given (based on time of arrival). 

As other have mentioned about tea, bring your own if you really like yours.  You can get free hot water in the MDR, buffet, and even from the International cafe. 

Enjoy your cruise

14 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Don't eat too much, unless you have late Traditional Dinner.  The tea ends only a couple of hours before Early Traditional.

That is a few turns around the promenade helps take care of.

Oh I forgot this is the Sky Princess...hence no promenade.

14 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

The tea the waiters walk around with for Afternoon Tea is standard Lipton.

I think you may find the tea used for Afternoon Tea varies depending on the ship in question.

As for calling Liptons tea..that is debatable.

Edited by brisalta

On 2/5/2020 at 5:05 PM, avonlady6390 said:

maybe it depends on where you cruise, but on my west coast our of san pedro princess cruises, the IC was servicing mighty leaf brand teas, and the buffet and MDR has bigelow for most of the various teas, and some lipton and possibly one other.  but honestly i drink the bigelow orange and lemon like it's going out of style, so i don't know the other varieties.  it is not unusual for me to drink 2 big pots of orange tea during dinner.

Edited by vampiress