Cunard's Coronavirus Cancellations/Refunds (Merged threads)

LittleFish1976

4 minutes ago, tilournextadventure said:

My husband and dog are on the 18th of April TA. I sure hope Cunard continues this cruise.  

just about the only ship with kennels on board ,,keeping up a long tradition much nicer that shoving the dog in a cage on an aircraft

Hope hubby and pooch make it ok

Regards

John 

Edited by VK3DQ

Hi VK3DQ,

We travelling to NZ on QE leaving this Sunday. Really looking forward to our first cruise in Princess grills. Hoping they don’t cancel at this late stage as we have to travel down to Sydney to board

1 minute ago, sydgal said:

Hi VK3DQ,

We travelling to NZ on QE leaving this Sunday. Really looking forward to our first cruise in Princess grills. Hoping they don’t cancel at this late stage as we have to travel down to Sydney to board

Hi

Just you make sure you look after the ship for me... enjoy

Regards 

John

6 minutes ago, VK3DQ said:

just about the only ship with kennels on board ,,keeping up a long tradition much nicer that shoving the dog in a cage on an aircraft

Hope hubby and pooch make it ok

Regards

John 

Thanks John. We certainly hope it does work out. Yes, very thankful Cunard allows pets aboard. We have used their kennels previously and were very happy with them. 

Hi Folks

I treated myself to a new hat to take  on my cruise .. I have a small collection of hand made hats that I enjoy wearing ..so what do you think of this outfit in the Queens Grill (Grin)

regards

John

WIN_20200312_15_22_26_Pro.jpg

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, VK3DQ said:

Hi Folks

I treated myself to a new hat to take  on my cruise .. I have a small collection of hand made hats that I enjoy wearing ..so what do you think of this outfit in the Queens Grill (Grin)

regards

John

I'm a stick in the mud hat wearer as is my husband. Gentlemen don't wear hats inside. My husband doffs his in the outer lobby of our building even though apparently etiquette says it can be worn to the door of our apartment (I looked it up because it is a pain for him to be holding it, the door, any purchases, and needed to press the elevator buttons.) Then again, he often takes off his hat while chatting with a lady outside when the weather allows. 

1 hour ago, sydgal said:

Going to doctors today for prescription repeats for 76 year old hubby. Will get a medical certificate for him while there.

Be prepared for his physician to decline to sign one.  Even though I have no immuno-compromising condition, I am over 80, and several of my own physicians have expressly advised me against boarding a cruise ship in the foreseeable future.

1 hour ago, sydgal said:

Hi VK3DQ,

Could you please post some brief updates to CC of your experiences on board, as they relate to current conditions?
Is the ship full or not? Demographics of passengers.

What special health arrangements are in place - on board and in ports?
Restricted activities and/or locations?
Any problems with obc's or other purser's office issues?
You get the idea. If you've been on a Cunard cruise before, how does this one differ?
If you do, either post it here, or better still start an new thread specifically for your feedback - that way it will likely be more visible to more CC users.
Thanks in advance for any input/perceptions you may have.

Bon Voyage.

PS I'm envious of you on your cruise vacation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tilournextadventure said:

Thanks John. We certainly hope it does work out. Yes, very thankful Cunard allows pets aboard. We have used their kennels previously and were very happy with them. 

Interesting. The kennels are usually reserved for animals.
Still, good room service, eh?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Email from Cunard (US booking for TA in May) at 7 PM today. Includes a link to the US covid19 page, (In case it doesn't work in the pasted text, here's the website page, with email pasted below.)

https://www.cunard.com/en-gb/contact-us/travel-health-advisories?utm_medium=email&utm_source=CUEMERONAMCancelTerms&utm_campaign=pre_cruise_journey&utm_term=CU-5290854&utm_content=website.

Important changes to your voyage terms.

Dear xxxxxx, as your Cunard voyage approaches, we wanted to get in touch to let you know about some important changes we’ve made to your voyage terms given the current uncertainty surrounding travel. Simon Palethorpe, Cunard President, has an important message for you about the impact of coronavirus and the measures we are taking to reassure you that you can still enjoy your voyage, either now or at some point in the near future. To find out more and for your latest updates please see our website.

In this ever-changing environment, we understand that you may well feel in need of some added flexibility, so please read on to consider your options in light of a number of recent enhancements we have made to our cancellation policy.

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cunard.com%2F

Sailing as planned.

Applicable to voyages departing before 31 August 2020.

If you’d like to keep your existing booking, your ship and crew are ready and waiting to welcome you. We are pleased to be able to offer you some on board credit to enhance your holiday; this will be credited to your on board account and can be used for drinks, spa treatments and shore experiences booked on board. The amount you’ll receive depends upon the number of nights you’ll be spending on board with us:

Voyage duration (nights)   On board credit per stateroom
1-3   $150
4-7   $300
8-14   $600
15+   $900

There’s no need to call us; your on board credit will be added to your account in time for departure and you will receive an updated booking confirmation in due course to confirm this.

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cunard.com%2F

Cancelling your voyage.

Applicable to voyages departing through 31 July 2020.

Should you wish to cancel your voyage, you’ll be pleased to know we’ve temporarily relaxed our cancellation policy given the circumstances. Here’s a guide to what you need to know:

• If you’re booked on a Cunard voyage sailing before 31 July 2020, you may now cancel up to 48 hours prior to departure.

• Cancelled bookings will receive a Future Cruise Credit (FCC) equivalent to the cancellation fees and refunds will be given on any remaining monies paid.

• Your Future Cruise Credit can be used on bookings made up to the end of next year (31 December 2021) and can be redeemed against any Cunard voyage sailing until the end of March 2022.

If you have cancelled in the past few days your booking status may not have updated on our system yet, which is why you have received this email. In this case the new temporary policy still applies to your cancelled booking.

Full details of this new temporary policy, including Frequently Asked Questions, can be found here.

We hope this helps clearly outline all of your options. To make any changes to your booking please call us on (800) 728-6273, otherwise, we look forward to welcoming you on board soon.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder
  • Like 1

This just in via email from Cunard, for two cruises this coming May (booked via a US TA) (posted before I saw 3d Gen's posting of the actual message):  For passengers who sail as planned on voyages departing through 31 August 2020, modest grants of OBC ($300 for 4-7 day cruises).  For voyages departing through 31 July 2020, cancellations permissible up to 48 hours before departure, with Future Cruise Credits equal to the cancellation fees and refunds for any remaining monies paid.  The FCC can be used for any bookings made through the end of 2021 (not within 90 days as previously described), for sailings "until the end of March 2022" (not through the end of 2021 as previously described).

Edited by Neuhoftraveler

Cunard compensation arrangements now on their US website.

Not sure if this has already been posted, but Cunard's "UK arrangements" are now posted on a US website page too, solving quite a bit of conjecture.
They seem to be similar, if not the same as, those on the UK site yesterday:

https://www.cunard.com/en-us/contact-us/travel-health-advisories/interim-cancellation-policy

FYI.

Hi Canuker,

If the cruise goes ahead, I will post in a new thread my experiences. This will be my 5th Cunard cruise and second on Queen Elizabeth. My 1st was QE2 in 1994, very rough transatlantic on 4th September 1994. We were confined inside due to the sea conditions.

Have done QM2 and QV as well. Love the Cunard experience. Very special.

Here’s hoping we sail.

Thanks John for your best wishes

• Like 1

Comparing the "Flexible booking terms" between the Cunard UK and US websites, most things look the same.

One difference is the date through which voyages may be cancelled to receive FCC. Not sure why they would have different cutoff dates between the UK and US, but here is what they say (emphasis mine).

The UK website states

"If you’re booked on a Cunard voyage sailing before 31 August 2020, you may now cancel up to 48 hours prior to departure."

The US website states

"If you’re booked on a Cunard voyage sailing through July 31, 2020, you may now cancel up to 48 hours prior to departure."

Another difference I see is there is no "Transfer your booking" section on the US website. The FAQ section on the US page does mention "You can transfer your voyage to a different voyage free of charge. This option is available until July 31, 2020."

Edited by bluemarble

3 minutes ago, Colin_Cameron said:

Any mention of exclusions on the US site?

Yes, same exclusions as on the UK site.

(Q) Are there any exclusions to the offer?

(A) The on board credit offer is NOT available to guests booked on the following voyages: M008A, M008B, M009, M009A, Q009N, Q010N, Q011N, Q012N, Q013B, Q015N, Q015C, Q016N, V009 and V009A.

5 hours ago, bodsfanclub said:

Yes, we work hard to pay for our cruises but at the end of the day they are a luxury we choose to take.

Not for everyone. For some of us it is transport. (Luxurious transport, I’ll grant you.) 

We’re not going on a cruise from ‘A’, round a few ports, and back to ‘A’ again. We’re travelling from ‘A’ to ‘B’, because ‘B’ is home. Is it any safer (for us, or everyone else) if we go by plane? Three planes, four airports. I suspect that would put us into contact with many more unknown strangers, travelling to a much wider range of destinations and infinitely more difficult to track down.

19 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Yes, same exclusions as on the UK site.

Interesting that although some have received a second email saying that the first was an error, we haven’t. And the exclusions aren’t mentioned in the direct emails, only on the website(s).

And that the QM2 exclusions only appeared after the 48 hour window for cancellations had closed. (We sail tomorrow)

Edited by Colin_Cameron

4 hours ago, VK3DQ said:

Hi Folks

regards

John

WIN_20200312_15_22_26_Pro.jpg

Sorry - but (apart from the shirt) you look like a Funeral Carriage driver in London's East End!!!  https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-previews/not-dry-eye-house-eastenders-157568

Australia's Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) have updated their reconsider travel to the whole world.

We now advise all Australians to reconsider your need for overseas travel at this time. 

Regardless of your destination, age or health if your overseas travel is not essential, consider carefully whether now is the right time.

We have issued this advice for two principal reasons:

• You may be more exposed to contracting COVID-19 overseas. You may come in contact with more people than usual, including during long-haul flights and in crowded airports. Health care systems in some countries will come under strain and may not be as well-equipped as Australia’s. You may not have your normal support networks overseas.
  • Overseas travel has become more complex and unpredictable. Many countries are introducing entry or movement restrictions.  These are changing often and quickly. Your travel plans may be disrupted. You may be placed in quarantine or denied entry to some countries. Think about what this might mean for your health, and your family, work or study responsibilities.

There are some countries in the world where we advise you do not travel.  These are mostly for security reasons but some – China and Iran – are also because of a very high risk of coronavirus transmission. Do not travel to these countries.

If you’re overseas and can’t or don’t want to return to Australia, follow the advice of local authorities.  Take care to minimise your risk of exposure to coronavirus.

Contact your airline, travel agent or insurance company to discuss your travel plans and options for cancelling or postponing current bookings.  Or to arrange flights back to Australia. 

For urgent consular assistance contact +61 2 6261 3305 from overseas, or 1300 555 135 from within Australia. For non-urgent queries contact smartraveller@dfat.gov.au

The expectation in the UK seems to be growing that we will soon be looking at an extended quarantine for elderly and vulnerable people, possibly extending to months.  While nothing official has yet been announced, this would be consistent with the UK policy of trying to manage the spread of the virus through the rest of the population in order to build population immunity.