Live Trip Report - Edge 2/16-23

WrittenOnYourHeart

Well, I'm finally at a week out from my first Celebrity Cruise - the Edge Western Caribbean from Feb 16-23, so I figured it was about time to start my report!! 

My name is Beth, and I'm a special education teacher in the NYC public schools. This will be my 14th cruise overall. My first cruise was as a 6th grader on the Emerald Seas with my family - I think in spite of a kids sail deal, the girl at our table, my sister, and I were the only children on the ship. We were totally pampered princesses - even though my family was in a cabin with 4 berths (2 lower, 2 upper...no way to combine the lower) and a tiny porthole. Did not cruise again until July 2013 when we went on the Disney Dream to cap off a family trip celebrating my parents' 45th anniversary. Since then I've done Holland America (Westerdam) and Royal Caribbean (Radiance) to Alaska, Royal Caribbean (Brilliance and Jewel) to the Med and to Greece, fathom Adonia to Cuba (twice) and the DR, and 5 more Disney cruises, hitting all of their ships. I'm a huge musical theater nerd - and hyper critical of production shows - so I've learned the hard way that if I'm giving them a chance I'll sit near the back and on the end so I can flee easily. Big OrangeTheory fan as well. I've debated signing up for the HIIT class pack, but have decided to wait until I'm on board and see when they are being offered so I don't waste the money if they're at times that conflict with other things.

Here I am, just because I think it's nice to see who is involved! 🙂

image.thumb.png.0dd3eba24f2fb2c6a1b42eea0a2a8b39.png

It's just me cruising - my friends either don't cruise or can't take vacation at the same time (not having kids they usually don't ask for time off during school breaks so that those who do can vacation). I've cruised - and traveled - solo a lot and don't mind it. I do have one cat, Mo, who will be home and visited by the pet sitter twice a day.

image.thumb.png.13d15f252c1cb7c3713371855af80d61.png

He has this idea that if he sits on my packing cubes and bags I can't leave. He forgets that he is 14 pounds and I go to OrangeTheory, so he is highly portable. HAHA!

I've always been a big Disney fan, but their cruises over my winter break have not always been the best - I'm not a Star Wars fan, and I'm only just gaining a small appreciation for Marvel - for longer cruises. This year I was debating between the Edge or the Disney Magic with Marvel Day at Sea. While I was at Disney over the long weekend we were off for Rosh Hashanah, I got to talk with the woman who owns the travel agency I use, and she convinced me to give the Edge a go. It's all new ports for me (other than Key West), so that was a plus as well,

I'll fly down to Miami (American into MIA was less than JetBlue into FLL (I do not do Southwest as a) not a ton of non-stops and b) the last 2 times I flew them I was stuck at the airport for 5 and 6 hours because of elective stuff they decided to do that resulted in massive delays...I don't have time for that silliness) on the 15th and will stay at the Hampton Inn and Suites Blue Lagoon, grabbing a Lyft to Port Everglades on Sunday morning! I'd debated going to OrangeTheory in Coral Gables for their 7am class, but decided against it as it would be 8:30ish before I got back to the hotel, then showering and breakfast... Nah I'd rather just be ready to hit the high seas!!

I'll be in one of the Single Infinite Veranda cabins and definitely plan to take pictures and notes since there is not a ton of information from personal experience I've found out there. I have Select dining and have reserved dinners in each of the MDRs at least once - Cyprus being the one I'm only hitting once. I've scheduled the ship tour for the afternoon of the first sea day.

As far as ports...

Key West - I'm super excited about what I have planned, but I want to keep it a secret beforehand. Trust me - I'll let you know once it happens!!

Costa Maya - Maya Chan for the day

Cozumel - Climb the Coba Pyramid and Cenote Swim

Grand Cayman - Dolphin Push, Pull, and Swim Experience.

As a rule I'm not "allergic" to ship-based excursions. Being solo it's usually the same price or less - and definitely less awkward than being the lone solo on a private excursion with others who all seem to know each other.

Food-wise, I'm not a "foodie" by any means, but I'm not overly picky. I am allergic to peanuts and wheat, and I do not eat fish at all and only limited seafood such as scallops and shrimp depending on the preparation. I enjoy wine, but am not a wine snob. 😛 I do have the Premium Drink Package, so I'm looking forward to trying some new things.

So, I think that's about it to start!! I'm mostly packed already - mainly just my backpack with last minute stuff to go.

Definitely looking forward to my new adventure as (my Instagram hashtag for the trip says) DisneyGirlLivesOnTheEdge!!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Have a great time!!! 😊😊   Can't wait to read about your experiences.  Am "unplugging" when we sail the Silhouette next week, so unfortunately will have to wait to catch up on your blog when we return later in February.  We too have sailed Disney and the Edge so I am really looking forward to reading about your experiences and comparisons.  Cheers  🍷

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bama4cruisin said:

I'll be vicariously sailing with you! We're booked on the TA on Apex in October so this feedback will help!

safe travels and have fun!

I’m booked on the Apex for July 2021 over my 50th birthday! If I like the Edge enough I will likely book the prior cruise and go B2B - so it would effectively be round trip from Barcelona.

4 minutes ago, Reel Love said:

Have a great time!!! 😊😊   Can't wait to read about your experiences.  Am "unplugging" when we sail the Silhouette next week, so unfortunately will have to wait to catch up on your blog when we return later in February.  We too have sailed Disney and the Edge so I am really looking forward to reading about your experiences and comparisons.  Cheers  🍷

Thanks!! I hope you have a great time as well!!

Thanks for taking the time to post a live blog.   I'm pulling up a seat and look forward to your review.   I'm happy that you are reviewing the Single Cabins.   I don't believe I have ever seen a picture of one, let alone heard a review.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mafig said:

Looking forward to following along😃

1 hour ago, jmdlv1 said:

Will be following along.

On the Edge March 8 and looking forward to your report.

1 hour ago, jimbri said:

Have a great time!

28 minutes ago, OhioDogLover said:

Have fun

Thanks all!! 

I have not decided if I am going to try for any specialty dining. I have had Eden booked a couple of times but cancelled. I may go have a chat and see what a non-fish and gluten-free dinner would be like and if I like it and there is space may book that. I would love to do the dinner on the Magic Carpet, but I know that is popular and limited so not holding out much hope.

2 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Thanks for taking the time to post a live blog.   I'm pulling up a seat and look forward to your review.   I'm happy that you are reviewing the Single Cabins.   I don't believe I have ever seen a picture of one, let alone heard a review.  

Thank you for following!! I hope I can do as good a job as you did on yours! I’m new to the live blog thing!

1 hour ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Thank you for following!! I hope I can do as good a job as you did on yours! I’m new to the live blog thing!

Very kind of you, but you are doing a FANTASTIC JOB.   I definitely live vicariously though these blogs in between cruises.  

Make sure you check out Eden Cafe near the entrance to Eden (included for all passengers).   They definitely have the best brownies I have ever had.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Very kind of you, but you are doing a FANTASTIC JOB.   I definitely live vicariously though these blogs in between cruises.  

Make sure you check out Eden Cafe near the entrance to Eden (included for all passengers).   They definitely have the best brownies I have ever had.

Thank you! 

I definitely will check it out! Likely cannot have the brownies as I am gluten-free due to a wheat allergy, but I can look at them and drool!

2 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Thanks all!! 

I have not decided if I am going to try for any specialty dining. I have had Eden booked a couple of times but cancelled. I may go have a chat and see what a non-fish and gluten-free dinner would be like and if I like it and there is space may book that. I would love to do the dinner on the Magic Carpet, but I know that is popular and limited so not holding out much hope.

Looking forward to your review. I started a semi-live blog for my trip in December and I still need to finish it out. If you can work something out with the chef at Eden I *highly* recommend the experience. If you want some "entertainment" during the meal, ask for a table where you can see the kitchen. If you can't work out an appetizing menu for Eden, I also highly recommend FineCut for a special dinner - I am still dreaming about the mint sauce for the lamb. The only dining experience we did not try on our cruise was dinner on the magic carpet - and after hearing about it we were so glad we did not do it. Everyone we talked to who did the magic carpet dinner was disappointed (some even angry) about it. The comments we heard were: so-so food, crowded, slow service, and uncomfortable due to weather. We also heard that they were so undersold they were offering it for free about an hour before it started (not sure if that is true).

• Like 1

Just now, Cdresser said:

Looking forward to your review. I started a semi-live blog for my trip in December and I still need to finish it out. If you can work something out with the chef at Eden I *highly* recommend the experience. If you want some "entertainment" during the meal, ask for a table where you can see the kitchen. If you can't work out an appetizing menu for Eden, I also highly recommend FineCut for a special dinner - I am still dreaming about the mint sauce for the lamb. The only dining experience we did not try on our cruise was dinner on the magic carpet - and after hearing about it we were so glad we did not do it. Everyone we talked to who did the magic carpet dinner was disappointed (some even angry) about it. The comments we heard were: so-so food, crowded, slow service, and uncomfortable due to weather. We also heard that they were so undersold they were offering it for free about an hour before it started (not sure if that is true).

Thank you for the information and tips!

Looking forward to your review also,  as we are going March 1st.

We stayed at the Hampton Inn Blue Lagoon and thought it was a great location.   Shopping, fast food and a nice pool.   Free breakfast.

Feels like you have been planning this cruise for so long.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, micheleata said:

Looking forward to your review also,  as we are going March 1st.

We stayed at the Hampton Inn Blue Lagoon and thought it was a great location.   Shopping, fast food and a nice pool.   Free breakfast.

Feels like you have been planning this cruise for so long.

Thanks!

Yeah, it is super nice! I stayed there before my fathom cruises!

Yeah, it seems like forever since the fall

when I booked it!!

Edited by WrittenOnYourHeart

Great start! I'm very much looking forward to your impressions, as I'm trying to convince my sister to join us for a cruise on Edge. Though I've sailed on Edge, I wasn't able to see a Single Infinite Veranda during our cabin crawl. Thanks for letting me live vicariously through you until I board Edge again in May😎 I hope you have a wonderful time!

• Like 1