First two deadly Corona cases of cruise passengers

Germancruiser

2 hours ago, Germancruiser said:

I just read the terrible news of the two elderly passengers of the Diamond Princess who died of the Corona Virus- such a sad outcame!

Hopefully all the other with symptoms are blessed with a speedy recovery!

Yes. So sad. Now the other passengers are being taken off the ship hopefully the spreading will stop and they’ll get the care they need

• Like 1

It's a tragedy for sure.  Wonder how long it will take for someone to say that it might not have happened if the people hadn't been quarantined on the ship but on shore near hospitals instead.  In this unprecedented situation I can only imagine how difficult it must have been to make that call.  I have read that should future situations arise similar to the Diamond Princess, a full ship quarantine is not the best option for containment of the virus.

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

It's a tragedy for sure.  Wonder how long it will take for someone to say that it might not have happened if the people hadn't been quarantined on the ship but on shore near hospitals instead.  In this unprecedented situation I can only imagine how difficult it must have been to make that call.  I have read that should future situations arise similar to the Diamond Princess, a full ship quarantine is not the best option for containment of the virus.

If they were very sick from corona and getting worse- they should have been evacuated and brought to an on-shore hospital regardless of the quarantine situation.  So not sure what happened there.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

If they were very sick from corona and getting worse- they should have been evacuated and brought to an on-shore hospital regardless of the quarantine situation.  So not sure what happened there.

They were taken off the ship and sent to hospital when they tested positive - one on Feb 11, the other on the 12th.

Very sad indeed.  The quarantine was definitely handled poorly.  However, this should reinforce the need to use common sense as to hygiene on any ship.  Always, always, always wash hands after using a bathroom and sanitize prior to entering an eating facility.  We often bring sanitizer with us and use it after we handle the serving utensils at a buffet or even a menu.

3 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I'm guessing their local hospitals could not accommodate the entire ship.  Unlikely that any city's hospitals have 3,000 beds readily available for a quarantine of an entire ship.  Plus crew...

As you said, unprecedented and tragic.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

Unfortunately probably not the last.  There are 27 others reported in serious/critical condition.  It's definitely been a wake up call for me to be extra diligent.  Sailing in just over a week in the Caribbean.

We are as well.  Just returned from Target when I stocked up on Clorox wipes and Lysol travel size spray.  I've always sprayed the room down on embarkation day but will add wiping the trays and armrests of the airplane to my routine.  Maybe it will help, maybe it won't.  But at least I'll feel better.

Edited by Georgia_Peaches

Also, make sure that your toothbrush is in a toothbrush covered holder in the bathroom because when they clean the bathrooms, they are using the same cloth that they used in the previous 10 bathrooms as they wipe and spray everything down.   Also we bring our lysol spray with us and even after our room has been cleaned, we do a quick disinfect once again with hand towels and lysol. Door handles, switches and keep your tv remote inside a zip lock baggie.