Pricing inconsistency for 1 room (3 people) or 2 rooms (2&1 person)

I was looking at some cruises this summer and this just seems to be completely backwards. Our party is 2 adults and 1 child. I tried pricing one interior and it come out to somewhere around $4,800 for a 7 day Harmony of the Seas GTY interior. If I book 2 room with 2 people per room (so adding an additional person!) then the price total for the two room for  total of 4 people is now only $3500 for two rooms total. This just seems backwards. Any thoughts on how to get better pricing?

41 minutes ago, nolatravelgirl said:

I was looking at some cruises this summer and this just seems to be completely backwards. Our party is 2 adults and 1 child. I tried pricing one interior and it come out to somewhere around $4,800 for a 7 day Harmony of the Seas GTY interior. If I book 2 room with 2 people per room (so adding an additional person!) then the price total for the two room for  total of 4 people is now only $3500 for two rooms total. This just seems backwards. Any thoughts on how to get better pricing?

The rooms that hold more than 2 people are more expensive than the rooms that only hold 2 people. You don't see that because it's hidden from you (the website won't let you book a room that fits three when you have two and automatically puts you in a 3+ passenger cabin when you add a third). As far as finding better pricing.... different sailing dates, different ships, hope for a sale.... Working with a travel agent might help you find a cabin that will fit your budget.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DCL2RCI said:

The rooms that hold more than 2 people are more expensive than the rooms that only hold 2 people. You don't see that because it's hidden from you (the website won't let you book a room that fits three when you have two and automatically puts you in a 3+ passenger cabin when you add a third). As far as finding better pricing.... different sailing dates, different ships, hope for a sale.... Working with a travel agent might help you find a cabin that will fit your budget.

But isnt there an option to add a passanger in the cabin of two? Dont they like bring a sofa or smth? In any case, when you book more than one cabin some sort of a discount applies. Ive noticed it awhile ago. Just try different options before booking and might get the right price for yourself. I mean, you never know how their system works. Sometimes its incredibly unexpectedly goood. 

Edited by Roger88

1 minute ago, DCL2RCI said:

You completely missed my point. Reading is fundamental. An interior cabin that holds 3 people is no larger than a cabin that hold 2 people, it just has an extra bed. The point was that booking two rooms was less expensive than one room that just has an extra bed. 

2 minutes ago, nolatravelgirl said:

You completely missed my point. Reading is fundamental. An interior cabin that holds 3 people is no larger than a cabin that hold 2 people, it just has an extra bed. The point was that booking two rooms was less expensive than one room that just has an extra bed. 

Wow, no need to be so rude. A cabin that holds 3 people instead of 2 people is priced differently. End of story. Whether or not it has more space is beside the point - the cruise line prices them differently. If it has an extra bed, that means it's not the same cabin.

5 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

But isnt there an option to add a passanger in the cabin of two? Dont they like bring a sofa or smth? In any case, when you book more than one cabin some sort of a discount applies. Ive noticed it awhile ago. Just try different options before booking and might get the right price for yourself. I mean, you never know how their system works. Sometimes its incredibly unexpectedly goood. 

They can't just add sofas to any interior cabin. Multiple cabin discount is something I didn't think of.

In that case, just book two cabins, get an extra key for cabin 1 and use cabin 2 for your luggage.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nolatravelgirl said:

Then book the 2 rooms since it's cheaper.  If you want even cheaper pricing on 2 rooms among 3 people, book 2 in one room and then book 1 person solo and you'll save yourself paying the port fees and taxes upfront. 

It doesn't matter what size the room is, Royal is basing their pricing on the number of berths within that room.  Passengers 1/2 pay the double occupancy amount and then passengers 3+ pay a reduced rate.

4 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

No there isn’t.  And no there is no discount for booking more than one cabin unless you are part of a group booking.  

a cabin rated for two only has two berths, and lifeboat capacity means there is no option to squeeze in more.  The only exception is a pack play for infants.  

15 minutes ago, nolatravelgirl said:

A cabin that holds 3 is a completely different category than a cabin that holds 2 even though identical in every way except for the sofa-bed.

they are also priced completely differently as there are few of them available and they are in demand by families.  What you saw with pricing is very common and that's why most people here recommend pricing out 2 cabins for a party of 3 or 4 as opposed to one cabin.

8 minutes ago, spookwife said:

No there isn’t.  And no there is no discount for booking more than one cabin unless you are part of a group booking.  

a cabin rated for two only has two berths, and lifeboat capacity means there is no option to squeeze in more.  The only exception is a pack play for infants.  

Unless the child is under 3 years of age, under 35" tall and under 30 pounds, then you can request a pack n play.

36 minutes ago, nolatravelgirl said:

We could say the same to you.  You answered your own question!  In the cruising world those rooms are more and go quickly.  It's not any different than a hotel room that sells a room with a king bed and two queen beds.  Generally the 2 queen bed room is more, although they are same size.

Edited by KelSny1011
  • Like 2

You mentioned gty cabins, so remember if you book two gty cabins you may be assigned cabins far, far apart.  And it is quite possible there will be only two beds in each of those two cabins. And as cabins may be assigned shortly before sailing, you may not be able to swap them for closer cabins.  

For some families, that would work out just fine (they’d split up or share beds or small kids could use sofa or packnplay, etc); for other families, it might not be palatable, so think it over before you book.

3 hours ago, nolatravelgirl said:

Nope, extra bed is in different Cat Cabin. At times cheaper to get 2 cabins for 4 passengers. But You're lucky, back when my kids were younger passenger 1 & 2 were about $799ea, number 3 & 4 were $1099-1399 each! I was a single Dad raising 3 kids on my own, no choice in getting 2 cabins

Edited by ONECRUISER

17 hours ago, Roger88 said:

But isnt there an option to add a passanger in the cabin of two? Dont they like bring a sofa or smth?

No.  Each cabin has a particular number of berths, and it's all based on lifeboat capacity.

17 hours ago, nolatravelgirl said:

Because there are fewer cabins that hold 3+ people so the laws of supply and demand come into play.  Higher demand typically = higher price.

13 hours ago, lbjen said:

Two cabins means two bathrooms, two TVs and two lots of wine allowance. I don’t know why anyone would want to pay more to squeeze everyone into one cabin. 

Well, if you have parents with a young child, (like the OP apparently) they likely don't want the child by himself/herself, so the parents would have to be in separate cabins (one with the child, one solo) and I can see where that wouldn't necessarily be appealing to the two parents who would probably like to sleep in the same bed with each other on their vacation.

2 hours ago, waterbug123 said:

Well, if you have parents with a young child, (like the OP apparently) they likely don't want the child by himself/herself, so the parents would have to be in separate cabins (one with the child, one solo) and I can see where that wouldn't necessarily be appealing to the two parents who would probably like to sleep in the same bed with each other on their vacation.

If you read the original post, the OP alludes to adding Fourth person.  If that additional person is also caregiver for the child (granny, nanny, babysitter, etc) receiving a free cruise in exchange for overnight plus some daytime child care, two cabins might work out well for some families (though not all families, of course).  

16 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

If you read the original post, the OP alludes to adding Fourth person.  If that additional person is also caregiver for the child (granny, nanny, babysitter, etc) receiving a free cruise in exchange for overnight plus some daytime child care, two cabins might work out well for some families (though not all families, of course).  

I read it as since the second cabin would be the same price with one or two passengers, the OP wanted to point out that even 4 passengers in 2 canines would be cheaper than 3 passengers in 1 cabin.

3 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

I read it as since the second cabin would be the same price with one or two passengers, the OP wanted to point out that even 4 passengers in 2 canines would be cheaper than 3 passengers in 1 cabin.

Well, certainly the OP noted that.  Hard to know whether this OP is considering inviting a useful fourth person or not; it is a solution for some families faced with this pricing structure.