Rare Fish on Menu

2+2

I thought I would lighten things up a bit.

I am from the middle of the USA, so I am only familiar with freshwater fish. But when I seen  Baked Walleye Cod fillet on the Joy menu, I thought maybe it was the fish equivalent to TurDuckin.. Anyone have any idea what the heck is going on with this over embellished entree. I got it, and it was not Walleye or Cod. What is it?

And speaking of rare fish, I ordered Salmon at a specialty restaurant and it came to me virtualy uncooked rare rare transparent.  I then asked if I could get it thoroughly cooked and it came back a second time still transparent in the middle. I could not eat it that way. Is rare cooked Salmon the way most enjoy?  I struck out on all the fish entrees I tried.

Screenshot_20200305-142906~2.png

I think they're covering their bases on whatever fish they can get?

While I like raw salmon when I'm at a sushi place, I do like it cooked through...the "proper" way is probably a little on the rare side, but I prefer mine done.

• Like 1

Yeah, sounds like a hybrid of sorts. Maybe it is Chef Wally's Cod, cause there ain't no such thing as walleye-cod...its one or the other.

If you don't like it though, there is always the delicious coalfish, scrumptious bluefish, or the overcooked "Ruby Red" rainbow trout in the dining room. Sometimes they even repeat on multiple nights.

And plenty of cheap tilapia up on the buffet. Nobody does dining like Norwegian....at least that is what I saw on the placard on the table. I agree!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Can I assume that was the grilled salmon at Cagney's?  I had that on the Bliss and found it was very good, and properly cooked.

In the MDR the flounder was excellent, it's a "classic" so it's on the menu every night.  So good that I've had it 3x in 2 cruises, would have had it more if I hadn't had it for the first time on the last night of the first cruise.

The raw Salmon was at the Italian specialty restaurant.

And yes the dinning room flounder was the best of the fish I had there. It also was the only breaded fish. Once I got some Tabasco it was comfort food. Almost as good as carp. I told you I was from the Midwest.

• Like 1

Salmon - some people prefer it medium well done like a steak, some like it a little raw like sushi, or totally cooked. If you do not like the way the salmon was cooked, perhaps send it back. If it still not done in the way you like it, then ask if you could order something else.

1 hour ago, poohdreaming said:

Salmon - some people prefer it medium well done like a steak, some like it a little raw like sushi, or totally cooked. If you do not like the way the salmon was cooked, perhaps send it back. If it still not done in the way you like it, then ask if you could order something else.

Yep. But you would think when I sent it back and told them I wanted it " completely cooked and well done" you would think it still wouldn't be raw in the middle.  Everyone at the table finished their meal before it came back the way it was.  Lesson learned. No big deal . I guess I am not a true Salmon lover.

On the Breakaway last month we had a field day with the Walleye Cod fillet.  Not one person could explain what it was. I kept saying is it Walleye or is it Cod, even the Maitre 'd stated it is fish. Living on a lake in Erie where there is abundant Walleye, I can definitely say it was NOT Walleye but then again, it wasn't cod either.  Not sure what type of fish it was.  😒

10 hours ago, Funky Fusion FoodsJ said:

Walleye pollock is a type of cod, sometimes referred to as walleye cod or Alaskan Pollock.  Comes from the North Pacific.  Not rare.

I assumed the 'rare' in the title was referring to how the salmon was cooked?

Anyone remember the Johnny Cash song “one Piece at a Time” where the guy sneaks car parts out in his lunch pail for years and wound up with a Frankenstein like car? Well this is the fish version - the Frankenfish!

76 past cruises
Upcoming:
NCL Getaway 3/29/2020
NCL Breakaway 1/10/2021
CCL Dream 5/16/2021

• Haha 1

When I first saw "Walleye" on the menu on Dawn a couple of weeks ago I got very excited. I love walleye but can only get it when I travel up north to the Lake Erie area. I was totally surprised that they could have walleye on the ship...Was quite deflated when I saw cod follow the "Walleye" 😞