Chic dress code question for men

1 hour ago, lostchild said:

I don't think they enforce dress code even at the MDR.   I am pretty sure I saw a few guys wearing shorts and sandals on chic nights.   Not sure how they would enforce it... "Sir, you are not dressed chic enough, please go back to your room and change." 😄

I saw it enforced one casual evening on a 2016 Equinox cruise. The maitre d' was the one that stopped the guy and his teenage son in front of us from entering the MDR that evening. Both had shorts on. The wife proceeded into the MDR.  Same cruise first evening (embarkation, I always wear shorts on that evening on all our cruises) we were on our way out of the MDR when the same maitre d' stopped me and politely reminded me that each evening forward shorts will not be allowed in the MDR in the evening. I told him no problem as my wife will see that I'm properly dressed. We all laughed and for the next 14 nights had a great  relationship with him. 

Edited by davekathy

7 minutes ago, cangelmd said:

My husband wears at least a shirt, tie and jacket on chic nights. He feels more comfortable a bit on the overdressed side.

i don’t think a Hawaiian shirt would ever be appropriate in the dining rooms on chic night. I’ve seen a couple of men wear them, but I think they are underdressed. Other nights, yes.

I know it says no short sleeves, but you see that all time in the Caribbean and it doesn’t look out of place. Transatlantic is a bit dressier and cooler weather as well.

alaska, everyone is too tired to worry about what people are wearing, lol!

Sorry, but nowhere in the current dress code is there any prohibition against short sleeves on chic nights. On the other hand, Hawaiian shirts do meet the stated requirements, so those choosing to wear them are not underdressed. They might not meet your personal level of appropriate dress, but they do meet Celebrity's.

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

Sorry, but nowhere in the current dress code is there any prohibition against short sleeves on chic nights. On the other hand, Hawaiian shirts do meet the stated requirements, so those choosing to wear them are not underdressed. They might not meet your personal level of appropriate dress, but they do meet Celebrity's.

You are correct, this is one of those things that pops up when the ships go rogue and make their own rules.   They have done this in the past by having 3 evening chic nights when the web site clearly states only two.   Also, did it for awhile on a couple of ships when they required jackets in Blu, also against Celebrity's rules.     I wore short sleeve shirts 25 years ago on Celebrity and never remember a ban on short sleeves. 

Have seen prohibition on shorts enforced many times. 

Edited by dkjretired

LOL.  Sorry.   This was 3 years back I think when chic night started for not too long.    The previous cruise I was on was supposed to be "black tie" formal night so  I rent a tux.   Turns out most people just wear a suit.  So this time I make sure to look at other people to see what they were wearing for future references.   I was on a Caribbean cruise too. 

Well, went shopping today for some more slacks, and what do you know — there, on the rack, was a beautiful (to my eyes) blue/black paisley tux jacket that fit me perfectly! So of course I bought it and now my wife needs some new fancy dresses. So we’ll be on the formal end of the spectrum now!

And really, my attitude toward my fellow passengers and their sartorial choices is very much “you do you”. As long as we’re all having a good time, I’m not going to look askance at anyone’s clothing choices. Except my kids, but that’s a totally different conversation...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, lostchild said:

I don't think they enforce dress code even at the MDR.   I am pretty sure I saw a few guys wearing shorts and sandals on chic nights.   Not sure how they would enforce it... "Sir, you are not dressed chic enough, please go back to your room and change." 😄

It just seems to depend on who happens to be on duty at the entrance to the dining room at the time that you arrive and whether or not "they" happen to notice what you are wearing, or even care. 

That is why one guy wearing shorts may be seated while another one may be turned away.

These days it seems that most ship employees really don't care what you wear and they prefer to avoid confrontation.  But there are still some who are sticklers about enforcing the dress code.

In any case, it is no big deal and certainly nothing worth worrying about.

The very worst that could happen is that you may need to go back to your cabin, change clothes, then return and be seated five minutes later.

I have never seen anyone post about any woman being refused entry or asked to change clothes.

Is this discrimination? 😉

P.S.  I take that back.  On second thought, I do recall a woman once posted that she was denied entry to a Captain's Club happy hour because she was wearing sandals!! 

But that was a long time ago.

As we all can read X's website to understand what is requested, if we do not understand, there are various web pages which will depict "Country Club Casual", as many of us do not belong to or have visited a Country Club, possibly.

Often times questions about 'Chic' and other evening dress is about 'what can I get away with' as opposed to what is 'requested/required', even honestly too, IMO.

As many of us believe it is up to 'our' interpretation, interpret it and enjoy no need for validation here or is there? You will find out aboard, to be sure if you dressed correctly or not, that night.

Most of us have witnessed deviations to the 'requested' dress code one way or the other, some offending sensibilities, some not - for whatever reason, as well.

Most of us do our best to adhere to the 'requested' dress code in earnest, despite individual interpretation as to what 'Country Club Casual' means.,

I Am sure one reason X is popular is due to the 'relaxed' dress code on "Formal/Chic Nights", too, aboard.

I look forward to seeing all of you 'Vougeing" on our next sailing.... CCC or not.

Okay, now choice of dress has been validated, unless the Maitre d' decides otherwise that night.  😶

bon appetite and bon voyage

I am not someone that likes to play dress up. I wear jeans and tshirts to work and I own 2 suits. Suits take up room in a suitcase. My wife wants to dress up. I decided to be unconventional and I'm wearing my kilt. 

Edited by txflood33
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, txflood33 said:

I am not someone that likes to play dress up. I wear jeans and tshirts to work and I own 2 suits. Suits take up room in a suitcase. My wife wants to dress up. I decided to be unconventional and I'm wearing my kilt. 

LOL, just as long as it is a 'formal' kilt!!!

bon voyage

17 minutes ago, floridatravelersforlife said:

And make sure you wear underwear.  We don't need a Class One bio emergency on board.  ☺️

LOL, is there not a test for that???

bon voyage

7 hours ago, varoo said:

It just seems to depend on who happens to be on duty at the entrance to the dining room at the time that you arrive and whether or not "they" happen to notice what you are wearing, or even care. 

That is why one guy wearing shorts may be seated while another one may be turned away.

These days it seems that most ship employees really don't care what you wear and they prefer to avoid confrontation.  But there are still some who are sticklers about enforcing the dress code.

In any case, it is no big deal and certainly nothing worth worrying about.

The very worst that could happen is that you may need to go back to your cabin, change clothes, then return and be seated five minutes later.

I have never seen anyone post about any woman being refused entry or asked to change clothes.

Is this discrimination? 😉

P.S.  I take that back.  On second thought, I do recall a woman once posted that she was denied entry to a Captain's Club happy hour because she was wearing sandals!! 

But that was a long time ago.

I was waiting for my husband  last summer on Equinox at the entrance to the MDR and watched as a family of 4 was stopped by the head waiter.  All were wearing shorts. The dad was not allowed in but his wife, teenage daughter and son were. 

So I guess when they say no shorts that is only for adult males?

Sherri🙂

4 minutes ago, sjb317 said:

I was waiting for my husband  last summer on Equinox at the entrance to the MDR and watched as a family of 4 was stopped by the head waiter.  All were wearing shorts. The dad was not allowed in but his wife, teenage daughter and son were. 

So I guess when they say no shorts that is only for adult males?

Sherri🙂

Being an adult male, seems fair to me.  🙂

10 hours ago, floridatravelersforlife said:

And make sure you wear underwear.  We don't need a Class One bio emergency on board.  ☺️

If he is wearing underwear , then he is wearing a skirt, NOT a kilt.Ask any Scotsman.!!! lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1