Cancelling Cruises because of the C word

davemorton

I think it is time to part company with P&O. Fortunately I have managed to get a full refund for my cruise due to sail in a few weeks time. The moving of goalposts to prevent people getting their money back is abominable. In the good old days when P&O was flying high, they had very little time or compassion for passengers needing their help and some flexibility. Todays pleading email from Paul Ludlow highlighted to me how selfish that company is. No way now, or in the future will I give them thousands of pounds of my money in the hope they may(or may not) supplya holiday I want and expect.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I understand but I don't want to see P&O go bust and if guarantees were in place I would have felt happier with a credit against next March cruise.

Our Azura TA March 20th was cancelled.

The government advice about critical illness which included my Heart attack in December before P&O cancelled meant we were gutted but insurance would be void if we went.

I have replied to P&Os email and attached my hospital report and am awaiting a refund that they promised.

Like I say though - it's all good if you're regular cruisers (especially if money isn't so much a problem), but by effectively forcing people to use P&O again it's backing people into a corner for potentially a prolonged period of time. Especially for those of us who don't cruise often and who had only booked this one cruise as a special, once in a lifetime trip.

I hope you get your refund though!

22 minutes ago, otbc said:

Like I say though - it's all good if you're regular cruisers (especially if money isn't so much a problem), but by effectively forcing people to use P&O again it's backing people into a corner for potentially a prolonged period of time. Especially for those of us who don't cruise often and who had only booked this one cruise as a special, once in a lifetime trip.

I hope you get your refund though!

Thank you.

I am so sorry that your wedding might be affected and the cruise was your honeymoon.

I hope you also get a refund so you can decide how you want to spend it, hopefully on a honeymoon at another time.

I absolutely agree with you and for some of us who cruise regularly it is easier to accept but for yourself being a once in a Lifetime trip and being forced to cruise another time is totally wrong and I am gutted for you.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 1

From what I have read, the ABTA pot is almost empty having spent all of their funds on bringing the Thomas Cook refugees home.  Even after emptying the ABTA pot the government also paid a substantial amount towards getting people home.  It would appear that another significant holiday provider failing would leave the government picking up the tab.

I would hazard a guess that the change in the rules is an attempt to protect the government from exposure to paying for more holiday rescues by trying to stop more holiday companies failing.  As unfortunate as individual cases are, I can see a logic to the changes.

As Dai said earlier, it will affect all holidays and not just P&O.   It is also a fair assumption that the ABTA levy will presumably have to rise (we all pay in to it when we holiday)

4 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Can you imagine what that would contain.   Problem with that is what they are going to put in the box.  Don't think so.

To be fair, some people dont have any choice Jean.  If you are housebound with no one to get your shopping in, you still going to say 'I dont think so?'  I dont think so. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Can you imagine what that would contain.   Problem with that is what they are going to put in the box.  Don't think so.

For what I can see of the products it's overpriced but having said that somewhere someone could find it a lifeline.

Someone who's on the vulnerable list possibly living alone but can afford it but same as you not for us thanks .

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, davemorton said:

To be fair, some people dont have any choice Jean.  If you are housebound with no one to get your shopping in, you still going to say 'I dont think so?'  I dont think so. 

I guess there is a basic plan with the ability to substitute a few items.  Quicker packing and easier bulk ordering must be a good idea based on where we were last week with people panicking if they had mobility issues.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, kalos said:

For what I can see of the products it's overpriced but having said that somewhere someone could find it a lifeline.

Someone who's on the vulnerable list possibly living alone but can afford it but same as you not for us thanks .

2 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

You could be right.  I'm not sure why they can deliver that and can't offer a slot to choose what you want.  Luckily I have good little shops in our little town/village, so don't have to do that.

Seems expensive for what you get too.

1 minute ago, jeanlyon said:

You could be right.  I'm not sure why they can deliver that and can't offer a slot to choose what you want.  Luckily I have good little shops in our little town/village, so don't have to do that.

I think its because DPD are delivering it, not the usual morrisons vans and it will be easier to pack 100's of all the boxes the same, than to do individual shopping lists.  I would not order one because at the moment Im fortunate to be able to get my own shopping in, but if it helps one person, then its a good thing. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

I shall be losing my deposit because there is no way I am paying out £3K in July for a cruise in October.  I just don't think there will be any cruises this year.

I absolutely agree Jean, we are going to lose our deposit for our November cruise because there is no way we are throwing more good money at P&O not knowing when or if we will get a cruise, a refund or nothing at all from them.

6 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

Well looks like we’re on lock down then

Looks that way, let's hope that the idiots that ignored the advice at the weekend actually take notice now for the sake of the rest of us.

I went out to Tesco 's elderly shoppers hour this morning so fortunately I will not need to go shopping again this week.

2 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

and especially the bloody second homeowners arriving in south Devon today.  I could kill them.

Too many selfish people at the moment, the me,me,me generation don't think about the effect of their actions

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Not everyone - lots of people with a number of jobs / professions still having to go to work.....

Oh yes presto and I and hubby are those people also. But to me it’s a lock down or should it be called something else? 

my next day in is Thursday and I work in a busy office. What slightly annoys me is that I am arms length away from a whole lot of people and have to walk past many to get to the back where I am. We are also hot desking so I bring my own wipes as cleaner can’t come round your desk while your there. I hope work put something in place I do cos they are a major player in the uk. Everyone will know them I can guarantee but I don’t feel they are doing anything with the social distancing. But I am doing as I am told. I haven’t left the house since Friday evening, hubby has only gone to shop for bread (got 4 bread cakes 😐) and he went to work so we have followed everything. 

how safe is it though if I am mixing with lots of different people in the workplace? 
im not bothered about social as that makes little difference to us as we aren’t much for that anyway. 

just don’t get it. Can’t see our office closing down as we are classed as “key workers”

2 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

Oh yes presto and I and hubby are those people also. But to me it’s a lock down or should it be called something else? 

my next day in is Thursday and I work in a busy office. What slightly annoys me is that I am arms length away from a whole lot of people and have to walk past many to get to the back where I am. We are also hot desking so I bring my own wipes as cleaner can’t come round your desk while your there. I hope work put something in place I do cos they are a major player in the uk. Everyone will know them I can guarantee but I don’t feel they are doing anything with the social distancing. But I am doing as I am told. I haven’t left the house since Friday evening, hubby has only gone to shop for bread (got 4 bread cakes 😐) and he went to work so we have followed everything. 

how safe is it though if I am mixing with lots of different people in the workplace? 
im not bothered about social as that makes little difference to us as we aren’t much for that anyway. 

just don’t get it. Can’t see our office closing down as we are classed as “key workers”

To be honest we went for a walk in the open large park space of Tatton Park on Saturday expecting it to be quiet. It was busy but everyone we saw was keeping a distance and avoiding walking close to others. They closed the next day.

At work now each day and, without going in to details, we are mixing with lots of people. I suppose for us being told to social distance doesn't fit our situation (as thousands of others).  Surreal to be going to work and meeting loads of people and then hearing the stern words from the government. We will all do what we can though and pray that each one of us stays safe.

My utmost respect goes to anyone working on the very frontline of the NHS

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

and especially the bloody second homeowners arriving in south Devon today.  I could kill them.

A sign in the local shop windows stating only locals will be served should give them the welcome they deserve.😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

To be honest we went for a walk in the open large park space of Tatton Park on Saturday expecting it to be quiet. It was busy but everyone we saw was keeping a distance and avoiding walking close to others. They closed the next day.

At work now each day and, without going in to details, we are mixing with lots of people. I suppose for us being told to social distance doesn't fit our situation (as thousands of others).  Surreal to be going to work and meeting loads of people and then hearing the stern words from the government. We will all do what we can though and pray that each one of us stays safe.

My utmost respect goes to anyone working on the very frontline of the NHS

I agree. I’m glad now that I didn’t go down the nursing route. 
I worried now being in work. Had I been my sister who is a nurse I would be at my wits end! 

1 minute ago, Vampiress88 said:

I agree. I’m glad now that I didn’t go down the nursing route. 
I worried now being in work. Had I been my sister who is a nurse I would be at my wits end! 

Tell her to keep safe