Cancelling Cruises because of the C word

davemorton

To anyone thinking of travelling and signing P and O’s waiver DONT. They are encouraging you to break the terms of their own passage contract which requires you to have valid medical insurance which you would not have if you travel against FCO advice. 

• Thanks 1

First time cruiser and booked on 23rd May to Med on Britannia. Wish I hadn’t bothered now, causing more stress than Covid19 itself. Already caused a huge falling out with the wife the other day about what to do. Wish I’d booked a week in Prestatyn in a caravan as it’d have been far less hassle.

Anyway, we are where we are. Thinking the best bet now is to wait for p+o to cancel and get full refund and wait till coast is clear on new future booking. I’m thinking a full cash refund is of more benefit than effectively a 110% iou from a company in deep financial straits. Yes, extremely unlikely they go bust, but 3 months ago we’d have said the same about the worldwide crisis we’re now in.

There is a med cruise early Aug that we like the look of and we’d upgrade from inside to balcony for an extra £70 (taking into account the 110% fcc), however, we don’t want to be in the same situation again only a few months down the line. Wife is a teacher also so we are limited to school hol dates.

I might add that wife is mild Asthmatic too and we could provide medical cert if required.

Decisions decisions.............

Edited by Confused.com

6 minutes ago, Confused.com said:

First time cruiser and booked on 23rd May to Med on Britannia. Wish I hadn’t bothered now, causing more stress than Covid19 itself. Already caused a huge falling out with the wife the other day about what to do. Wish I’d booked a week in Prestatyn in a caravan as it’d have been far less hassle.

Anyway, we are where we are. Thinking the best bet now is to wait for p+o to cancel and get full refund and wait till coast is clear on new future booking. I’m thinking a full cash refund is of more benefit than effectively a 110% iou from a company in deep financial straits. Yes, extremely unlikely they go bust, but 3 months ago we’d have said the same about the worldwide crisis we’re now in.

There is a med cruise early Aug that we like the look of and we’d upgrade from inside to balcony for an extra £70 (taking into account the 110% fcc), however, we don’t want to be in the same situation again only a few months down the line. Wife is a teacher also so we are limited to school hol dates.

I might add that wife is mild Asthmatic too and we could provide medical cert if required.

Decisions decisions.............

See my earlier post about right to cancel 

56 minutes ago, staygulf said:

To anyone thinking of travelling and signing P and O’s waiver DONT. They are encouraging you to break the terms of their own passage contract which requires you to have valid medical insurance which you would not have if you travel against FCO advice. 

Hi, can you explain the waiver I haven’t seen one to sign

1 hour ago, tinkercat said:

Hi, can you explain the waiver I haven’t seen one to sign

It's not a waiver as such, but if you agree to FCC, you will nullify your ability to obtain a cash refund.   

8 minutes ago, wowzz said:

It's not a waiver as such, but if you agree to FCC, you will nullify your ability to obtain a cash refund.   

Oh thank you I understand now, we had a choice before even if if we left it later in the year to decide. If the cruise is cancelled are we still getting the 25% FCC that is what it says on my online travel agency 

3 minutes ago, tinkercat said:

Oh thank you I understand now, we had a choice before even if if we left it later in the year to decide. If the cruise is cancelled are we still getting the 25% FCC that is what it says on my online travel agency 

Where have they offered 25% FCC and refund if the cruise is cancelled

Edited by staygulf

Just now, wowzz said:
Just now, Broadside said:

What are the cancellation terms for a booking made with FCC? 

I assume the same as if you were making a normal 'paid' booking.

Then what did you mean by stating this ? :

Just now, wowzz said:

16 minutes ago, staygulf said:

Where have they offered 25% FCC and refund if the cruise is cancelled

On my travel agent website there is a lis of what cruises terms are and when I scrolled down that’s what it said

76B062B1-74EF-4FC3-84B6-5A164B3DBF15.png

Edited by tinkercat

14 minutes ago, tinkercat said:

On my travel agent website there is a lis of what cruises terms are and when I scrolled down that’s what it said

76B062B1-74EF-4FC3-84B6-5A164B3DBF15.png

They haven’t updated it yet to reflect P&O’s revised terms as issued today.

51 minutes ago, Les_ldh said:

They haven’t updated it yet to reflect P&O’s revised terms as issued today.

The 25% FCC only applies if you accept a rollover of your whole fare. If you apply for a refund you don’t get it. 

3 hours ago, Confused.com said:

Here's a question.....

If you were to "transfer" a May booking to Aug, would you be able to transfer the additional £400 obs for 14 nts?

Surely you transfer everything over including on board spend 🤔

no, you would be making a new booking, and as such you would get the onboard credit for that particular cruise.  I know as I changed our booking this afternoon.  I must admit I was not happy that they had reduced the fcc to 110% but with the situation being changed on an almost weekly basis I lost my nerve !!,  and I had been following their advice to not call their call centre until it was closer to the time of going. but it is better than nothing and we booked a cheaper cruise in December so will have n extra £800 to use for next years booking. which we are yet to book. 

Evening peeps

hope everyone is keeping well in these very weird times. 

I got an email a few days ago about my ventura cruise on 4th April. Knew it was coming but it still makes me sad that no one will be cooking for me for 14 days and we won’t ever get a deal so cheap in school holidays. Alas the Easter bunny must also be notified that we are staying at home also. 

my email offered 125% FCC or I could opt for full refund. 
I chose refund. It said it will be back within 45 days. I haven’t had any confirmation about this nor can I get through on chat unfortunately. 

I see they have also changed the policy now which is down right awful to be honest. 

Hopefully when this all blows over I will see some of you on a spectacular cruise somewhere toasty

until then I will be home schooling the kids so less time on forums for me. 

someone pass me the ice cream 🍨 

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

Evening peeps

I got an email a few days ago about my ventura cruise on 4th April. Knew it was coming but it still makes me sad that no one will be cooking for me for 14 days and we won’t ever get a deal so cheap in school holidays. Alas the Easter bunny must also be notified that we are staying at home also. 

I chose refund. It said it will be back within 45 days. I haven’t had any confirmation about this nor can I get through on chat unfortunately. 

I see they have also changed the policy now which is down right awful to be honest. 

Hopefully when this all blows over I will see some of you on a spectacular cruise somewhere toasty

Give the kids your password and give them posting rights - should liven things up a bit!  Good luck - hope it goes well.  Sorry it's worked out that way for you, but home ed can bring huge benefits to children, and I know you'll take it very seriously.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Vampiress88 said:

Evening peeps

There is a silver lining, you will get to know what your children are actually being taught because one of my nieces who is a teacher had told me that the parents will be told what the children are supposed to be doing and the children will be given packs of work to do.  I know that if I had children I would prefer to have them home where I could keep them in the house or garden away from possible coronavirus.

I hope that you and your family get through this safely.

Edited by Josy1953
Stupid predictive text

11 hours ago, Vampiress88 said:

I should have been on that 4th April Canaries cruise too, and I follow your posts on the Dibb as well, so feel I know you! Happily our Florida holiday, with a Caribbean cruise, was in January and so was totally untouched by this craziness we are all living in.  Good luck with the home schooling and hope you get re-acquainted with Mickey before too long.  We should be on a Princess TA in November; Barcelona to Fort Lauderdale, but I wouldn't even put money on that happening right now!

13 hours ago, Vampiress88 said:

Evening peeps

Keep well,our daughters SIL has come down with the virus today(Bromley Kent).She's got 3 kids that were breaking up from school today.,sods law.

14 hours ago, Vampiress88 said:

Evening peeps

Hi Vampiress it's good to hear from you. Apart from adding schoolteacher to your workload I hope you're all well. 

Avril 

Have just spoke to p&o today as I have had no email acknowledging that I want a refund so I called to make sure I have a log of these things  

as it was before 11th we are definitely going to get a refund 

what surprised me though was she told me that abta have told them to only offer FCC from 11th April onwards. 

I assumed they couldn’t do that due to the laws that others on here have pointed out.