for fun: Do/Would you still put on all your makeup and decent clothes if you are quarantined

slidergirl

Hi, I made a new recipe tonight..........here is a link;

https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/zucchini-potato-casserole

I don't eat potatoes nearly as much as I used to......actually, normally I only eat sweet

potatoes but in this case I thought it would be ok🙂.....now,   my dish doesn't look as pretty

since I used a regular baking dish but it came out really nice.   Just waiting for it to finish

baking🙂.    I know it would be used mostly as a side dish but I am having it as a meal.

• Like 2

Anita - I totally forgot about turkey chili!!!  Good idea on leaving out the tomatoes until I'm ready to eat.   I have Cooking Light cookbooks from the late 1990s-early 2000s.   There are some really good recipes in those  books!

Here's something funny for y'all.  I looked at my face today and realized it is as white as a ghost.  With my weird eye, it really looked sickly, vaguely like Riff Raff (obscure homage to Rocky Horror).   Man, I'm going to have to put bronzer on my face when I go to work or I'll scare people.  

I was cruising the 'Net and ended up at my Sweaty Betty site.  They got in a brand new legging in tiny grey/black herringbone!  Perfect for wearing for work.  It has a side pocket to put the work phone in when I leave the front desk - that was always a problem last year.   The Athleta Delancy herringbone leggings that I already have were great at work  - doesn't look like a workout legging but comfy for the job.  These should be just like that.  OK.  I'm done.  Enough stuff to cover the top and bottom.  My boots I wore last year are still in really good shape so I'm fine with footwear.  I just wish I could wear sunglasses so people wouldn't have to look at that damn eye, especially with no eyeliner!!!

Tonight it's the Antipasto Salad from TJ's.  Then, I have to cook again.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, slidergirl said:

I've had both corn chowders - both good.  The last one I had was the fresh soup.   How did you like the Posole Soup?  I wanted to get another 5 Spice yesterday, but they were out..

The Posole soup was YUM, I liked it better than the corn chowder, but I didn't have the fresh one. Next time, hopefully. One of the best things about cooler weather is soup, lol...

16 hours ago, slidergirl said:

I went big and ordered a smoked turkey breast from Pig of the Month BBQ.  I LOVE their ribs, pulled pork and bacon.  I figured I could do a whole lot with that turkey breast!!!   Straight up turkey, turkey soup, turkey pot pie, turkey tacos, crustless turkey pizza...   I have a point of pride that I have NEVER done a turkey in my entire life.  I'll make all the sides you want, but don't ask me to do the turkey.  

LOL, I think the turkey is the easiest part. No futzing around at the last minute. 

I am looking forward to three days off next week!!!  I plan to make, among other things, Ina Garten's truffled mashed potatoes, one of the best Thanksgiving sides ever. :classic_biggrin:  I also ordered a small torchon of foie gras, which is how we like to start the meal....

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Anita Latte said:

I wanted to share one more turkey recipe if you do need something to do with leftover turkey:

https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/white-bean-turkey-chili

I happen to have the Cooking Light issue that this recipe appears in. I've been making it since 2006 when it came out. It's THAT good. Every year I think why is it so good? It's not that hard or special...but it is good comfort food. 

Wow, it's so funny -- I have that same recipe from Cooking Light. This was back when I used to still clip out my favorite recipes and save them in a photo album, lol. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Thanks.  I was really curious about that.   

Ah, the bacon-wrapped scallops.  Found in the frozen section.  This TJ put a bunch of the frozen appetizers in the same spot.  Really low carbs but some protein.  I figured I could make 1/2 box my dinner with some salad or something.  I'm hitting a food rut, too, but I bought some new stuff to try to get me going again.  I went big and ordered a smoked turkey breast from Pig of the Month BBQ.  I LOVE their ribs, pulled pork and bacon.  I figured I could do a whole lot with that turkey breast!!!   Straight up turkey, turkey soup, turkey pot pie, turkey tacos, crustless turkey pizza...   I have a point of pride that I have NEVER done a turkey in my entire life.  I'll make all the sides you want, but don't ask me to do the turkey.  

The eyeball is feeling better again today.  The vision is a tad less fuzzy.  So, that's a good step.

Just started raining, it should change over to snow overnight.  Allow me to say "ugh" again.  Don't get me wrong - I love snow.  I just don't like it on the driveway and the roads.  

Lol. Turkeys are the easiest things to cook. Glad your vision is better

3 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

The Posole soup was YUM, I liked it better than the corn chowder, but I didn't have the fresh one. Next time, hopefully. One of the best things about cooler weather is soup, lol...

LOL, I think the turkey is the easiest part. No futzing around at the last minute. 

I am looking forward to three days off next week!!!  I plan to make, among other things, Ina Garten's truffled mashed potatoes, one of the best Thanksgiving sides ever. :classic_biggrin:  I also ordered a small torchon of foie gras, which is how we like to start the meal....

The fresh corn chowder comes and goes, like all of them.  It hasn't been around lately here, but sooner or later it'll show up.  Keep your eyes open.  I also like the fresh clam chowder.  The only thing I add to it is a couple of dashes of Chipotle sauce or Tabasco.  I do that to all my chowders.

The antipasto salad was meh.  Too much spinich in it for me.    Something new I do really like, though: the Cocoa Peppermint Almond Creamer.  Usually I don't buy faux cream - I love my half & half.  But, something drew me to it.  

I think I have a whole turkey phobia is because of all the pressure of 20 family members obsessing over how well the turkey is done.   I had a best friend who lived next door to me back in the 80s - she would toss a turkey in the oven all year round.  She always said it was no big deal.  I never believed her 😉

Enjoy your days off!!!  I'll be back at the Front Desk.  I'm actually looking forward to it.  

OOTD:  I think I'm staying my pajamas.  nothing going on. 

I’ve been doing what I call the Alton Brown method for years now. The turkey always comes out great. I’m talking about the one where you blast the turkey at 500 degrees for an hour? 30 minutes? I have to look it up. Then you turn it down to 350? for the rest of the cook. Usually cooks the turkey in 2.5 hours.

One year, I cooked 5 turkeys! Not all at once, just over the course of time. The last one was a $5 turkey I picked up on manager’s special at Target.

This year, I’m cooking 2. Just for DH and I. The fresh turkeys were really small...and I want more buy I usually don’t cook a frozen turkey. But the frozen were only 49 cents a pound...such inexpensive meat all cooked at once! Can’t resist. So I’m beginning Thanksgiving week this weekend. Going to cook that turkey to use in meals like a grilled chicken replacement and use the carcass to make broth etc. I’ll start with some of the salad sides DH loves...4xbean salad, etc and pie. I’ll cook the second Turkey on Thanksgiving Day for a full feast that will finally be all assembled after cooking bits and pieces throughout the week.

And not to sound lofty or on a high horse...but I think I need to practice some gratitude this week. I finally did my grocery shopping today and got triggered in the store and very upset about DS not coming home. I’m not feeling so grateful and so...i actually think a week of really focusing on things to be grateful for will help me this holiday season. I don’t post too much on this thread...but I do enjoy participating in the conversation, even if I just lurk a lot. 😂 

Im grateful for this online community. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Anita Latte said:

And not to sound lofty or on a high horse...but I think I need to practice some gratitude this week. I finally did my grocery shopping today and got triggered in the store and very upset about DS not coming home. I’m not feeling so grateful and so...i actually think a week of really focusing on things to be grateful for will help me this holiday season. I don’t post too much on this thread...but I do enjoy participating in the conversation, even if I just lurk a lot. 😂 

Im grateful for this online community. 

Anita, I’m right there with you. I keep telling myself that I can do this because  I want all of us to celebrate many more holidays together  but that is a tough sell and I too feel sad. 
Sending a cyber hug,
Sharon

Edited by purduemom1
  • Like 2

Our 12 year old granddaughter took a Zoom cooking class on Monday & this is what she made Honey Chipotle chicken bowls with quinoa cilantro & lime. She was irritated because she didn’t have avocado. I told her next time Lexy has the eye for presentation 

47C32D93-6E40-4647-882F-6746F97B1FB2.jpeg

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, awhfy said:

Our 12 year old granddaughter took a Zoom cooking class on Monday & this is what she made Honey Chipotle chicken bowls with quinoa cilantro & lime. She was irritated because she didn’t have avocado. I told her next time Lexy has the eye for presentation 

47C32D93-6E40-4647-882F-6746F97B1FB2.jpeg

WOW....this looks beautiful!  Tell her she did a great job!  She could be on one of the

Kid's Championship shows on Food Network😃

• Like 1

That looks really good, has she shared the recipe with you? 

This Thanksgiving will be the first time in over 30 years that I will attempt to roast a whole turkey! The last time was a complete fiasco as I forgot to remove the bag of turkey parts and the turkey took forever to cook, I recall the red indicator finally popping up close to midnight.😂.   I had planned on cooking a turkey breast as TG will just be my husband and me but my husband did the grocery shopping this week and he came home with a whole turkey instead. His reasoning was whole was cheaper than the breast.🙄 We will be eating turkey for months!

Sherri🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Melody, your granddaughter has talent! Looks so appetizing with healthier ingredients.

Sherri, for me the hardest part of cooking a turkey is making sure it is cooked but not over done and dry. I always wonder if I’ve inserted the thermometer correctly (not too close to a bone). I used to stuff it but then I discovered that using  a crock pot was much easier and the turkey cooked quicker without the stuffing. The stuffing was more flavorful  cooked in the turkey so it was a trade off.  Good luck and I just bet your second try will be a huge success.

Sharon

Edited by purduemom1

Melody - your granddaughter made a lovely dish.

I love to cook a turkey and I always stuff the bird plus have enough stuffing for a casserole dish too.  The stuffing does taste better then the casserole in my opinion.  We never have enough leftovers.  This year I am sure my son will want to take some home so I may have to cook a second one later in the week.  Turkey sandwiches, hash, soup, and more sandwiches.  Yummy.  I try to do all the prep work on Wednesday and then it is just a matter of cooking it on Thursday.  

• Like 1

Anita, Sharon, & everyone else who is missing their family this thanksgiving, hugs XXXX   we had been planning on doing a social distanced outdoor thanksgiving with our kids & grandkids, but we all discussed today & it's probably not happening... we're under a curfew here now, & pretty sure it will be a lockdown right after thanksgiving...  can't stand the thought of us alone in the house on T-Day, so we're either going paddle boarding or sailing.   

nice thing is work is crazy right now, so not much time to mope :)  bad thing is not much time to catch up here :)

Still going to make a turkey & fixings on the weekend, our younger DD & SIL may come over to the backyard on Saturday...  since they don't have kids, it's easy for us to stay the 6 feet apart & wear masks... My turkey recipe is an old Martha Stewart one involving a bottle of dry white wine, lots of butter & cheesecloth... but I think this year I'm taking it easy & Steve will rotisserie it outdoors.

plan on finishing the christmas decor this weekend, & maybe put up the tree :)

have a great weekend everyone :)

• Like 1

Thanks, Debbie. I keep telling myself that next year will be better. That turkey recipe sounds like it just has to be a big success. We have the curfew here too but both the police and and sheriff’s department say they won’t enforce it-bigger crimes to handle. So I guess we are on the honor system. Not sure about a lock down here-maybe depends on our numbers. 

Thanks for all the vaccine details. I’m glad to know first hand experiences. I guess we are all awaiting  distribution details but so far mostly generalities. 

Hope you have good sailing weather and that your a Saturday plans work out well.
Sharon. 

• Like 2

Good morning,  have any of you used Zoom before? I was thinking since it will be so different

for all of you with families this year, maybe we could all zoom together for a few minutes to

wish each other a Happy Thanksgiving. What do you think?  Just a suggestion.....I have never

used it before so not sure how it goes.  I know most of you will be missing your families.

I am used to spending T day on my own.....been doing it for quite a few years now......for me,

it is just another day (I know that may sound sad but I am used to it now).

I know we are in different time zones but thought it might be fun...........what do you think?

4 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Good morning,  have any of you used Zoom before? I was thinking since it will be so different

for all of you with families this year, maybe we could all zoom together for a few minutes to

wish each other a Happy Thanksgiving. What do you think?  Just a suggestion.....I have never

used it before so not sure how it goes.  I know most of you will be missing your families.

I am used to spending T day on my own.....been doing it for quite a few years now......for me,

it is just another day (I know that may sound sad but I am used to it now).

I know we are in different time zones but thought it might be fun...........what do you think?

regular Zoom only allows up to 100.

could not make it at these impossible times without Zoom and it’s clones for board meetings and telemedicine. Of course family in our virtual home is the best.

Edited by orchestrapal

Good morning, not sure I understand, it only allows 100 people at a time? We are only maybe

a dozen if that many.  I have never used it so not sure what you do for it anyway. Log in, 

register?  I just thought it might be nice for everyone to say hello on Turkey Day.

Lexy is writing me out the recipe & I will share. The pickled red onions were her homemade addition to the recipe. I bake better than I cook, good to see she’s taking after her mom!  

we’ve Zoomed a few times, I can never get the camera set correctly, but I’d be game to try. Melody

Hi all!

I still can't believe I go back to work on Monday!!!  We don't open until Dec. 5, but we have pre-opening stuff to get done.  If it's like last year, it was maybe a few hours of work and a few hours of sitting around gossiping.  I still remember spending a few days doing nothing but looking and ordering Christmas ornaments and decorations online!  Turns out it will be the same team of 4 from last year, but the boss lady is looking for one more person to be part time.  So, at least we all know the game and will be able to hit the ground running.   I do have to spend today ferreting out the stuff I wore to work last Winter, wash what needs to be washed, iron what needs to be ironed.  For the next 2 weeks we can at least go more casual than usual since we won't be open.  The only way I can be "more casual" than I was is to wear some of my more colorful leggings and maybe some of my statement Tshirts.  Maybe a baseball hat.  I'm hoping that some days will be sunny enough that I can put myself in one of the chairs out on the patio and get some sun on my lunch time - we aren't allowed to do that in-season.   I wonder if I can remember my "posh" behavior and speech!!!  It took me a long time to learn it - I hope it's like riding a bike!  "My Pleasure", "Of Course", "Allow Me" - no more "Dude", "No Way", "Not a Chance", "Sure". 😉

I do feel for those of you who are going to be missing friends and family on Thanksgiving.  Since I've been divorced (14 years), I've always volunteered to work Thanksgiving (and other holidays) so that those with families can have the day off.  I don't know my schedule next week, but since I usually ask for Wed/Thu as my "weekend", I may have it off.  It honestly doesn't matter either way.  

Today is a major laundry day.  It may take 3 loads (I'm a separator).  I hope I can find enough places to hang dry all that I'm washing!!!  

• Like 1

Good morning girls...........Kat, I agree with Melody, glad you are feeling so good about the

job🙂

I think I am going to get a turkey breast and cook it for Thursday.......maybe a boneless one.

It will give me plenty of leftovers since even a small one is usually more than 2 lbs.  But then

again, we have various restaurants that are selling holiday meals and you can do take out

of course. That is another option.  So still thinking about it.😮

• Like 1

On 11/21/2020 at 8:48 AM, Lois R said:

Good morning, not sure I understand, it only allows 100 people at a time? We are only maybe

a dozen if that many.  I have never used it so not sure what you do for it anyway. Log in, 

register?  I just thought it might be nice for everyone to say hello on Turkey Day.

Hi Lois, I've thought about this idea and it sounds nice -- but I think I'd have to decline due to a past circumstance with on-line stalking. :classic_mellow:  I suppose I could join without video but even then I'd feel a bit spooked. Sorry....

On the positive side, I was able to meet with my two friends yesterday -- the outing we had to postpone a week ago. We sat apart and didn't eat or drink, kept our masks on the whole time. It was a lovely day here and turned out to be a lot of fun and catching up.

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 1

Hi Cynthia, Oh, I would never want anyone to be stalked😮☹️......that is the last thing I was 

thinking about.  We can take a pass and just wish each other a Happy Holiday on here.........

• Like 1