P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Just now, terrierjohn said:

But there are still many people whose phones are not 4g or 5g, and although 3g is planned to be phased out no timescale has yet been agreed, and my understanding is that 2g is not yet planned to be withdrawn. So why has the govt not included both these in their alert programme?

Sorry, don't know. Perhaps it is a case of " low hanging fruit ".🤔

1 minute ago, Harry Peterson said:

“Government spokesperson Simon Williams told us, “We are delighted with how the test went, all the right people got the alert, and the others, well, they didn’t – as we planned.

“You have to remember, in the midst of a major emergency, resources can be very scarce, so a decision must be made on who we want around to consume those precious resources as we look to rebuild our society

“And fortunately, your phones are an excellent way of determining who is worth saving. If you spend more than fifteen minutes a day on TikTok, you’re out. If your browsing history includes low-information conspiracy nonsense on BitChute, you’re out. If you’ve ever paid money to stream a Jim Davidson show, you’re out.

“If you didn’t get the alert, don’t take it personally, it’s just that an algorithm has determined that you have little to no value to society and we’d be better off without you.”

Are you sure of that ?. I got the alert so am quite chuffed. I wonder what my role will be, post apocalypse.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

8 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

But there are still many people whose phones are not 4g or 5g, and although 3g is planned to be phased out no timescale has yet been agreed, and my understanding is that 2g is not yet planned to be withdrawn. So why has the govt not included both these in their alert programme?

I quite like Harry's explanation.🤣

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

“Government spokesperson Simon Williams told us, “We are delighted with how the test went, all the right people got the alert, and the others, well, they didn’t – as we planned.

“You have to remember, in the midst of a major emergency, resources can be very scarce, so a decision must be made on who we want around to consume those precious resources as we look to rebuild our society

“And fortunately, your phones are an excellent way of determining who is worth saving. If you spend more than fifteen minutes a day on TikTok, you’re out. If your browsing history includes low-information conspiracy nonsense on BitChute, you’re out. If you’ve ever paid money to stream a Jim Davidson show, you’re out.

“If you didn’t get the alert, don’t take it personally, it’s just that an algorithm has determined that you have little to no value to society and we’d be better off without you.”

Don't tell anyone Harry,I didn't get one.Bloody elite and diamond+ Graham got a BOGOF.

• Haha 10

@purplesea happy anniversary! 💐. You should have been able to see the aurora from there,Penzance is south,so whoever saw them would have to be facing north like you do. Dh & Ds wondered up the hill about 10, but didn’t see them, too early. Hope you get an answer soon, the delay is crazy. X

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Saw a headline on MSN about people using their EIHC to get treatment quicker.Checked ours and realised they ran out in Jan.Applied expecting a long wait and got our new Global IHC today after a 5 day wait.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Don't tell anyone Harry,I didn't get one.Bloody elite and diamond+ Graham got a BOGOF.

They knew what they were doing, Brian - apparently they’ve had complaints from Hutton Mount though. Not one alert across the entire estate. Did I say estate? Mouth, wash, soap and water time!

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

They knew what they were doing, Brian - apparently they’ve had complaints from Hutton Mount though. Not one alert across the entire estate. Did I say estate? Mouth, wash, soap and water time!

I heard Jim Davison has moved there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, brian1 said:

I heard Jim Davison has moved there.

He’ll be in good company! There’s also a struck-off surgeon living there who managed, through negligence, to kill one of his patients. My wife and I both suffered at his hands back in the day, but only in a relatively minor way. My wife had carpal tunnel surgery which led to a GP asking her a few years later whether she’d won the competition.

”Which competition?”

”The Frankenstein’s monster competition.”

• Haha 4

On 4/23/2023 at 8:55 AM, Beckett said:

I've had a nightmare with this site for a couple of days! When I saw the message about logging in with our email addresses instead of user names I thought I'd be pro-active and change now. Then I realised that my email address was the one I'd originally registered with - my NHS one. So, I changed the email address to my my now one - sorted? No! My emails kept pinging with every comment made on here - of which there were many! Long story short, I finally managed to turn them off. God knows how - just a lot of button pressing. As you can read, I'm not very technical! In my working days I always had a helpline to call. Now, I have to work it out myself - and it turns out I'm a dinosaur. Anyway, all done now.

I can't seem to work out how to change my email address for this website.  I can see any email notifications but they go to an old, rarely used account.  I'm sure it's obvious but defeats me each time I try to look up what to do!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sarah1974 said:

I can't seem to work out how to change my email address for this website.  I can see any email notifications but they go to an old, rarely used account.  I'm sure it's obvious but defeats me each time I try to look up what to do!

Have you tried account settings? if you click on the little arrow at the side of your user name there are several options, one of them being email address.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sarah1974 said:

Contact the Cruise Critic Community manager Sarah.

community@cruisecritic.com

Give your old Email address and the new one you wish to register.

Graham 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

Have you tried account settings? if you click on the little arrow at the side of your user name there are several options, one of them being email address.

Thanks - will give it a go.  Have just tried but got an error message!!

2 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Contact the Cruise Critic Community manager Sarah.

community@cruisecritic.com

Give your old Email address and the new one you wish to register.

Graham 

Thanks Graham; I've sent an email in the hope that will work

• Thanks 1

Just now, grapau27 said:

It does work.

You will get an email back in a day or two.

Thank you, I don't post often so don't get many notifications but now I've got my next cruise booked I'll probably be posting more trying to glean lots of info

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Sarah1974 said:

Thank you, I don't post often so don't get many notifications but now I've got my next cruise booked I'll probably be posting more trying to glean lots of info

I'm sure everyone will help if you have any questions.

• Thanks 1

Anyone else still doing Wordle, Quordle etc?  I enjoy doing them (the dailies accompany my morning cuppa) but I've been trying - and failing miserably - to attain the 500 practice successes in a row with Quordle.  I did make it as high as 330 towards the end of last year but haven't got anywhere near that since.  You get on online 'Achievement' trophy if you manage it 😂. I know, I know ..... think of all the good books I could be reading, or stuff I could/should be sorting and chucking!

Worse still, I've just bought a new iPad, and my AlphaBetty word game has reset when I had completed all 920 levels ..... so here I go again .... 😁

It's not as bad as it sounds in my defence. I do much of this, apart from the dailies, when the TV is on in the evening and if it's something I'm not especially interested in.

Am I alone in my affection for online word games?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

Anyone else still doing Wordle, Quordle etc?  I enjoy doing them (the dailies accompany my morning cuppa) but I've been trying - and failing miserably - to attain the 500 practice successes in a row with Quordle.  I did make it as high as 330 towards the end of last year but haven't got anywhere near that since.  You get on online 'Achievement' trophy if you manage it 😂. I know, I know ..... think of all the good books I could be reading, or stuff I could/should be sorting and chucking!

Worse still, I've just bought a new iPad, and my AlphaBetty word game has reset when I had completed all 920 levels ..... so here I go again .... 😁

It's not as bad as it sounds in my defence. I do much of this, apart from the dailies, when the TV is on in the evening and if it's something I'm not especially interested in.

I’m still doing Wordle….. I lost my run of over 100 last week tho!

I play a variety of games on my iPad and waste a lot of time!

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

I have always enjoyed word games and do Wordle and enjoy Scrabble Go. 

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

No, you are not alone!  I usually do Wordle but DH is a dedicated Wordle, Quordle, Nerdle and Waffle fan.  Has to be done every day - not sure how he is going to manage on sea days!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

We have become addicted to Wordscapes. We were second in this week’s competition but it’s becoming a bit boring so we need to look for something different.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

Still doing Wordle here, but only Wordle. We (well, my wife) choose a starting word, and both use that same word as a sort of competition. Her technique is completely different from mine in that she uses words based on what she sees around her, or reads. Mine don’t take account of any external factors.

Her average is about a third of a point better than mine though!

• Like 1