P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

8 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Were you one of the ladies sledging on that christmas ad?🛷 I hope you get the snow you're waiting for, but please keep it up there with you. Brrr🥶

Avril

I’m much better looking for my age than them and my sledge is smarter too.

When I was young I have a wooden sledge made by my Dad, he was a carpenter. You lined the runners with candle wax to make it go faster. We had a large hill along from the house so got up a decent speed. I don’t think I would go back and try that one now but I still love going down a slightly gentler hill (don’t want broken bones).

OH broke 2 ribs a few years back sledging, with age comes wisdom so we still enjoy the fun but tempered to our age.

• Like 5

I’m cooking for the first time this afternoon Beef Rendang, just popped it in the oven for 2 1/2 hours. It’s prepared initially like beef casserole but with chilli, cinnamon, ginger, soy sauce and coconut milk added. Hope it tastes as nice as it smells at the moment🥘

• Like 7

53 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

I’m much better looking for my age than them and my sledge is smarter too.

When I was young I have a wooden sledge made by my Dad, he was a carpenter. You lined the runners with candle wax to make it go faster. We had a large hill along from the house so got up a decent speed. I don’t think I would go back and try that one now but I still love going down a slightly gentler hill (don’t want broken bones).

OH broke 2 ribs a few years back sledging, with age comes wisdom so we still enjoy the fun but tempered to our age.

Sounds a bit like National Lampoon's.🤣

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Sliding down the hill on a super slippery toboggan.

When we were kids me mam used to put goose fat on our backs if we were a bit chesty with a cold, we always went down hill fast after that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

2 hours ago, Ardennais said:

A genuine question - do many of you find Dry January difficult? 

I just don’t do it, I don’t see the point. January is a cold, miserable month so why add to the misery by going out for a nice meal and not having a decent glass of red, these small pleasures help to pass the winter.

I also don’t drink enough or often enough to feel the need to participate.

Same  with Vejanuary etc.

All these things are just gimmicks which are not necessary if you live in moderation all year round. Even if you don’t then a lot of people are putting themselves up for failure and may end up actually drinking more / eating more/ gaining more weight when they feel bad for failing.

• Like 18

7 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

I just don’t do it, I don’t see the point. January is a cold, miserable month so why add to the misery by going out for a nice meal and not having a decent glass of red, these small pleasures help to pass the winter.

All these things are just gimmicks which are not necessary if you live in moderation all year round. Even if you don’t then a lot of people are putting themselves up for failure and may end up actually drinking more / eating more/ gaining more weight when they feel bad for failing.

I might try a Choc free February, to get back in shape for our March cruise

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Good month to choose as normally only 28 days but one day more of a challenge this year.

That would be an easy one for me as I don’t eat much chocolate anyway.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

When we were kids me mam used to put goose fat on our backs if we were a bit chesty with a cold, we always went down hill fast after that.

Happy memories of my childhood but I felt sorry for my mate Barry as his parents 

could not afford to buy a sledge.

Lucky for him I was brought up to share mine with him .

I would ride it down hill and let him use it going back to the top of the hill again ,🙃

• Haha 17

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

The Christmas cupboard is nearly empty. Just Bertie Bassets and a chocolate orange. DW said ' we can save those for Easter '......yeah, right.

• Haha 10

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

You could well be right there, but I have read about people who find the whole thing a good opportunity to kick-start a healthier lifestyle. 
As I don’t drink alcohol, I just find it worrying at times that some people find going a whole month without alcohol very challenging! 

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

You could well be right there, but I have read about people who find the whole thing a good opportunity to kick-start a healthier lifestyle. 
As I don’t drink alcohol, I just find it worrying at times that some people find going a whole month without alcohol very challenging! 

One of my family members is a qualified professional in this field and his view is that January is not generally a good time to look at a healthier lifestyle as the psychological pressure of “New Year’s resolutions”, “dry January” etc set people up to fail. For those with issues one day at a time is apparently a better goal as if they slip they can simply start again without the pressure of having failed this January, so for this year.

The people who succeed would have succeeded anyway, regardless of the month. Good luck to them.

Lots of people pay for a Gym membership in January and quit by this point, get more depressed and actually do more of what they were trying to quit.

I suspect most of us could  wry easily give up alcohol for a month, we simply don’t choose to as we enjoy it (in moderation). Those who can’t are not going to manage just because it’s January.

• Like 14

1 hour ago, Ardennais said:

A genuine conversation overheard when Frank was in hospital.  'Can you believe the doc thinks 4 cans of lager a day is too much😲. I mean, what bloke doesn't sink 6 pints a' beer everyday after work?'

I can only hazard a guess as to why he was on the cardiac ward.🙄

Avril

• Like 12

58 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

“dry January” etc set people up to fail. For those with issues one day at a time is apparently a better goal as if they slip they can simply start again without the pressure of having failed this January, so for this year.

I agree that is why I have dry February 29th, so as you can imagine this year will be a stinker.

• Haha 11

6 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

A genuine conversation overheard when Frank was in hospital.  'Can you believe the doc thinks 4 cans of lager a day is too much😲. I mean, what bloke doesn't sink 6 pints a' beer everyday after work?'

I can only hazard a guess as to why he was on the cardiac ward.🙄

Avril

And that’s the problem in this country…

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

One of my family members is a qualified professional in this field and his view is that January is not generally a good time to look at a healthier lifestyle as the psychological pressure of “New Year’s resolutions”, “dry January” etc set people up to fail. For those with issues one day at a time is apparently a better goal as if they slip they can simply start again without the pressure of having failed this January, so for this year.

The people who succeed would have succeeded anyway, regardless of the month. Good luck to them.

Lots of people pay for a Gym membership in January and quit by this point, get more depressed and actually do more of what they were trying to quit.

I suspect most of us could  wry easily give up alcohol for a month, we simply don’t choose to as we enjoy it (in moderation). Those who can’t are not going to manage just because it’s January.

I personally only drink on two occasions.. When it's my birthday.. and when it's not. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 16

19 minutes ago, RebelWithoutAClue said:

I personally only drink on two occasions.. When it's my birthday.. and when it's not. 😉

“I drink Champagne when I’m happy and when I’m sad. Sometimes I drink it when I’m alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. I trifle with it if I’m not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise, I never touch it―unless I’m thirsty

• Like 2
  • Haha 17

I still think it can work for some people. Companions don’t press you to drink alcohol when pregnant, so possibly knowing that someone is doing Dry January could have a similar effect. More support snd less pressure to ‘have just one more’. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

“I drink Champagne when I’m happy and when I’m sad. Sometimes I drink it when I’m alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. I trifle with it if I’m not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise, I never touch it―unless I’m thirsty

A lovely quote from Lily Bollinger.

The Scottish version that we've heard is... ""I drink Glenmorangie when I'm happy Bells when I'm sad. Sometimes I drink Ardmore when I'm alone. When I have company I consider Fettercairn obligatory. I trifle with Lagavulin if I'm not hungry and drink Highland Park when I am.

A lovely thought!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

I can well believe that Avril, it happened to me when I was in the Cardiac Ward.

A rather loud family were visiting someone behind the curtain and he gave them strict instructions yo bring him  a big mac and chips, and not to forget his fags for when he went home.

I was a smoker then and never had the willpower to give up but I did then, very easily, although I still keep some in a drawer after all these years and still crave occasionally and miss the  social aspect.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, twotravellersLondon said:

A lovely quote from Lily Bollinger.

The Scottish version that we've heard is... ""I drink Glenmorangie when I'm happy Bells when I'm sad. Sometimes I drink Ardmore when I'm alone. When I have company I consider Fettercairn obligatory. I trifle with Lagavulin if I'm not hungry and drink Highland Park when I am.

A lovely thought!

I’ve never come across that version, very clever. I like the Bollinger one.

@Ardennais have you tried Citizen Spritz, if not worth trying it out. They do really lovely fruit spritzes which you just mix with fizzy water.

They make a nice change from plain water or lemonade etc.. The flavours are quite complex and make a nice adult non alcoholic drink (and they never had alcohol in them in the first place so not like double zero drinks).

• Like 1