Rough Seas out of NY/NJ to Caribbean?

We are considering Oasis out of New York/New Jersey NEXT May (assuming everything subsides), but I had a BIG question - I've heard the seas traveling down the Atlantic can be a lot rougher than Caribbean seas.  Now, we got off of Symphony in early March (Miami and Caribbean) and those were some of the roughest seas I've ever encountered in 20+ Royal Caribbean sailings.   I know that if there is a storm of some sort, it can make an impact.   Just asking - GENERALLY speaking, how are the seas on the larger cruise ships for people that have gone out of NY/NJ versus going out of Miami/Ft Lauderdale/Port Canaveral?   Thanks in advance and stay safe, everyone!

generally speaking, yes there will be some rough seas as you cross the gulf stream.  It could be nothing.  It could be a bit rougher.  Still, the Oasis is a huge ship and is better suited to rough seas.

Ive sailed both. No comparison. Atlantic will always be rougher. Its ok but dont expect smooth sailing. Pools were closed on our cruise for 2 days on anthem because of it. Of course Caribbean can be rough but in general Atlantic isnt ever great. But pros and cons for us is we can drive to Bayonne in 2 hrs. Or we have to fly to florida.  

We have sailed out of NY 3 times, and yes, seas were rough, much rougher than any caribbean cruise.  2 of the sailings were to bermuda though, but the roughest sailing was from NY to Bahamas.  There wasn't any storm in particular, but it was the most movement we have felt on any cruise to the point we actually wanted off the boat.  Especially coming back.  That sailing was in Mid-Late april.  

Edited by jetta8300

Not always.  We've had glass seas between the mid-atlantic and the Caribbean a couple of times.  It's all weather related just like it is anywhere.

Edited by BND

Have had really rough seas in the Caribbean as well as the Atlantic.   Can be smooth. Sailed the QM2 in October from Brooklyn.  Expected rough seas.  Smooth.  Kept asking dh if we were moving! No way to predict.  

Last March/early April we were on anthem of cape liberty to bahamas and had great weather and smooth seas.  The first and last day at sea were a little chilly for sunbathing but we hardly felt any seas.  I have done this same cruise out of baltimore on grandeur and we were rocking and rolling for 2 days straight.   Smaller older ship and the fact the windjammer is front of the ship didnt help the buffet.

I am confident you will be fine on oasis in may.

2 hours ago, lawyerboy5555 said:

We are considering Oasis out of New York/New Jersey NEXT May (assuming everything subsides), but I had a BIG question - I've heard the seas traveling down the Atlantic can be a lot rougher than Caribbean seas.  Now, we got off of Symphony in early March (Miami and Caribbean) and those were some of the roughest seas I've ever encountered in 20+ Royal Caribbean sailings.   I know that if there is a storm of some sort, it can make an impact.   Just asking - GENERALLY speaking, how are the seas on the larger cruise ships for people that have gone out of NY/NJ versus going out of Miami/Ft Lauderdale/Port Canaveral?   Thanks in advance and stay safe, everyone!

It’s really hit or mostly miss.  We’ve done quite a few cruises out of Bayonne and NYC and most trips are uneventful.  Sometimes it’s a little rough off the coast of Cape Hatteras.  Once though we did get caught in a Nor-Easter and that was really rough for a couple days.  Let’s hope we’re all on cruises next year enjoying the weather and company!

I’ve sailed out of NYC at least a dozen times, mostly in January/February and some in May/June. I’ve had cruises that were smooth as glass and others as rough as can be (the Anthem cruise into the storm) and everything in between. I’ve also cruised out of Miami and been in storm and unable to tender to port. It depends very much on the weather. There’s no way to predict now what you will experience.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The bottom line is that there is no absolute answer. Storms happen and can cause rough seas. Is a sail one week and have smooth sailing. You can do the same route the following week in a storm and have 35 foot swells.