Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

It is crazy how things have evolved. I at one time thought CDs would be the ultimate source for music listening. I used to have a car with a six CD player, my last car was a single, and my present car does not even have a CD player. My entire CD collection is now on a single USB thumb drive that is plugged into the car's USB port.

Micheline and I just had this discussion yesterday.  What do we do with all of our CDs when we move?  We won't have a traditional stereo with a CD player plugged into it.  We're using Sonos soundbars for TV and music listening.  I could take the time to copy all of the CDs to a hard/flash drive and somehow make it playable from Sonos, but that would be a lot of work.  I told Micheline to just tell Alexa what to play.  She wasn't convinced until she said, "Alexa, play Eric Clapton Unplugged".  Worked perfectly.  We will be donating all of the CDs. 

We've had a lot of similar "do we keep this" discussions where donation ended up being the answer.  I learned that we can even donate old paint.  The company will mix together all paints of a similar shade to form a new shade and use that for Habitat for Humanity or similar homes.   We're doing some serious elimination of "stuff" that we've kept for years. Feels freeing once you get past the initial reluctance.

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I am sure I have watched all of them and don't remember a Captain Mark either.   

He was the very first season. Easy to forget as he was pretty boring as a captain.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, voyager70 said:

Watching now, love that show.  New season of Below Deck Med starts on the 28th.  Can't wait.  Below Deck sailing yacht sucked.

I agree, it was boring.    I miss seeing all the excursions and scenery, none of that with the sailing episodes since it was filmed during covid.    Hopefully the BD med will be better. 

14 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

Many thanks. He somehow has to get through the next couple days of school, but he will survive. 

Congratulations to Owen!     Our 2 sons are in their 20's and I cannot believe it!     Time has flown by.    Our baby boy was at the shore house with us from Thursday night till Sunday night and it was great spending a couple of days with him instead of hours we usually see him when home.    I know his Father really enjoyed hanging out with him. 

We feel like empty nesters, again, today!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I agree, it was boring. 

I got tired of the love triangle and all the smoking. Good grief. I read where Colin quit smoking after he watched the series. Thought he was setting a bad example for young people.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, cruise wizard said:

So looking forward to getting back cruising and experiencing the Edge. Packing has begun and Saturday will be here so fast!!!!

I'm so excited for you and all the folks who have cruises coming up in the near future,  Which Edge thread will you be posting in?  I would love to peek and read about the wonderful time you are having!

My wait is 21 months until our Friends of Bella cruise.   Rates are favorable for cruises out of Galveston next year so maybe....................

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Micheline and I just had this discussion yesterday.  What do we do with all of our CDs when we move?  We won't have a traditional stereo with a CD player plugged into it.  We're using Sonos soundbars for TV and music listening.  I could take the time to copy all of the CDs to a hard/flash drive and somehow make it playable from Sonos, but that would be a lot of work.  I told Micheline to just tell Alexa what to play.  She wasn't convinced until she said, "Alexa, play Eric Clapton Unplugged".  Worked perfectly.  We will be donating all of the CDs. 

We've had a lot of similar "do we keep this" discussions where donation ended up being the answer.  I learned that we can even donate old paint.  The company will mix together all paints of a similar shade to form a new shade and use that for Habitat for Humanity or similar homes.   We're doing some serious elimination of "stuff" that we've kept for years. Feels freeing once you get past the initial reluctance.

I never knew you could donate old paint.    We have a bunch of old paint cans in our basement.   I will have to see if our local habitat for humanity store will accept them.

It is crazy how things have evolved. I at one time thought CDs would be the ultimate source for music listening. I used to have a car with a six CD player, my last car was a single, and my present car does not even have a CD player. My entire CD collection is now on a single USB thumb drive that is plugged into the car's USB port.

same for film/photos.     we have probably thousands of photos.     Some have been converted to digital but still have lots to convert.     I was going to do during covid lockdown but never did.    Someday

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, cruise wizard said:

Thanks..............we head down to FLL on Friday.

Does your paper work say "Vaccinated" anywhere?

I booked (relatively) recently and told the agent while booking that we are vaccinated. My inovice has a new line under both of our names:  "VACCINATED: YES".

Was asked if I was OK with volunteering to show the card while checking in. Absolutely.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

I'm so excited for you and all the folks who have cruises coming up in the near future,  Which Edge thread will you be posting in?  I would love to peek and read about the wonderful time you are having!

My wait is 21 months until our Friends of Bella cruise.   Rates are favorable for cruises out of Galveston next year so maybe....................

I'll be posting on the July 3 & 1o th Celebrity Edge "Cruise Connections" ............see you there!!!!

33 minutes ago, island lady said:

Yeah, and us kids were the "TV remote" system.  Was told to jump off the couch to "hand turn" the knob for a channel...and usually had to adjust those rabbit ears as well.  Oh the horrors!!   Child abuse!!  😄

Still remember the excitement of Disney's first color broadcast!!  😉  Disney's wonderful world of color!  

Been there, done that. But then I would delegate my dads order to my sisters. 🤣 We only had a few channels but no color TV for us. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

Does your paper work say "Vaccinated" anywhere?

I booked (relatively) recently and told the agent while booking that we are vaccinated. My inovice has a new line under both of our names:  "VACCINATED: YES".

Was asked if I was OK with volunteering to show the card while checking in. Absolutely.

No notations on the Xpress Pass documents. We did get a call from Celebrity asking if we were vaccinated - so I am guessing it is on their internal documents. There is also a Celebrity Health Questionnaire that needs to be completed the day before the cruise (6/25).

I just checked my Xpress Pass doc on the App and no notation on the electronic copy.

I used to have a car with a six CD player, my last car was a single

My 2007 has a 6 CD player & my 2015 has a single.  About a month ago, I emptied the 6 CD player.  It was all Christmas CD's. LOL,  Apparently, I haven't played a CD in close to 6 months.

Both cars are equipped with XM radio which accounts for 80% of my playing time, the other 20% from my phone (Spotify). 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

I remember the first color TV my Dad bought.  We were all excited…turned it on to watch The Wizard of Oz.  Wait!!  The TV isn’t working!!!  We never knew the first part of the movie is in black and white!

I bought my parents our first color TV - it actually had a round picture tube and had to have a technician come to "de-magnetize" and set the color - it had a giant cabinet and it weighed a ton. I think it was 1963 and it was a Motorola.

• Like 3

All this talk of Below Deck has me interested in watching it. A couple of questions:

1) Is each season stand alone or do I need to watch it in order?

2) There are multiple variations of the show. Is one better than the other (Mediterranean, Original, etc).

3) What platform? Between Cable, On-Demand and 37.5 different streaming apps, it's getting difficult to figure out how to watch TV.  Can it even be called a TV show since it can be watch on a laptop, phone, tablet, or an massive tower PC with CRT monitor 😁, etc? I ponder these things.

4) Is any of it real? I understand they rename the yacht just for the show - which seems weird - and bring in a different captain & crew for "personality". Do you ever see the original captian & crew? Are at least the passengers real or are they selected for "personality" as well.  I know with other reality TV shows - MTV Real World, Jersey Shore, Big Brother, etc - a lot of the scenes were scripted, if not the actual dialogue, then at least the situations were set-up in advance & filmed multiple times.

41 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

My 2007 has a 6 CD player & my 2015 has a single.  About a month ago, I emptied the 6 CD player.  It was all Christmas CD's. LOL,  Apparently, I haven't played a CD in close to 6 months.

Both cars are equipped with XM radio which accounts for 80% of my playing time, the other 20% from my phone (Spotify). 

Wife plays xm most of the time , I have a 11 year old car with 30k miles and play nothing but CDs .

1 hour ago, helen haywood said:

I remember the first color TV my Dad bought.  We were all excited…turned it on to watch The Wizard of Oz.  Wait!!  The TV isn’t working!!!  We never knew the first part of the movie is in black and white!

That was a wonderful magical visual concept.

1 hour ago, cruise wizard said:

I'll be posting on the July 3 & 1o th Celebrity Edge "Cruise Connections" ............see you there!!!!

You betcha! 

23 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

See responses in highlight.

All this talk of Below Deck has me interested in watching it. A couple of questions:

1) Is each season stand alone or do I need to watch it in order?

You don't have to but I would as some of the crew end up coming back for a new season. You will also see some of their development.

2) There are multiple variations of the show. Is one better than the other (Mediterranean, Original, etc).

I like them all. The locations are amazing in the Med and Caribbean along with Thailand.

3) What platform? Between Cable, On-Demand and 37.5 different streaming apps, it's getting difficult to figure out how to watch TV.  Can it even be called a TV show since it can be watch on a laptop, phone, tablet, or an massive tower PC with CRT monitor 😁, etc? I ponder these things.

Bravo can be accessed many ways , through cable, Amazon Fire, Apple TV or Hulu

4) Is any of it real? I understand they rename the yacht just for the show - which seems weird - and bring in a different captain & crew for "personality". Do you ever see the original captian & crew? Are at least the passengers real or are they selected for "personality" as well.  I know with other reality TV shows - MTV Real World, Jersey Shore, Big Brother, etc - a lot of the scenes were scripted, if not the actual dialogue, then at least the situations were set-up in advance & filmed multiple times.

A lot of those questions can be found here in this interesting article.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/29/style/below-deck-bravo.html

Responses above.

Edited by Sea Dog
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, George C said:

Wife plays xm most of the time , I have a 11 year old car with 30k miles and play nothing but CDs .

I used to roll my eyes and cringe at the thought of paying to listen to the radio. Once I purchased the 2007 car, (used from a dealer, I got it in 2012) it came with a 3-month trial subscription & I was hooked. Not only no commercials and minimal DJ talking - can't stand those Z-morning zoo type DJ's - I really liked the diverse music genre's. I get bored listening to the same music so one day it's Alt Nation, then BPM (electronic dance music), then 60 & 70's, country, etc....

Best part is now I can stream XM thru Alexa so I can listen in the home without having to purchase another device, carry it with me wherever I go, etc.

• Like 4