Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

On 6/26/2022 at 10:54 AM, reallyitsmema said:

OB's picture is Rhode Island.

The sand sculpture competition was last weekend at Hampton Beach in NH.  You can still see the sculptures on the street cam of this link.

https://hamptonbeach.org/beach-cam/

Well, that’s embarrassing! I know he’s in Rhode Island. I know his photos are of Rhode Island. So how come my brain didn’t pass that on to the rest of me???

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

59 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

I am glad you enjoyed the sandcastles.  Don't look now though, there is a front end loader knocking them down and they are trucking away the sand.  I am surprised they don't just spread the sand out on the beach.  I know they truck in special sand for the contest, but I figured they would just mix it in.  My Mom watches that webcam everyday to see what is going on at the beach.  

And it's raining there also.  Sad day in NH. ☹️

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Rainy here to but at least the weekend was beautiful. I went out to Martha's Vineyard yesterday.

It's been years (decades!) since I've been to Martha's Vineyard.  One of my best childhood memories was when my family took the ferry to Nantucket and my father paid for a small plane to fly us back to the Cape.   I thought it was so cool flying in our own plane.  

Is there a ferry to Martha's Vineyard from RI or do you need to drive to the Cape?  Driving to the Cape in the summer = yuck.  

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

It's been years (decades!) since I've been to Martha's Vineyard.  One of my best childhood memories was when my family took the ferry to Nantucket and my father paid for a small plane to fly us back to the Cape.   I thought it was so cool flying in our own plane.  

Is there a ferry to Martha's Vineyard from RI or do you need to drive to the Cape?  Driving to the Cape in the summer = yuck.  

There is a ferry from RI but it is pretty pricy. So I drive to New Bedford and take the ferry from there. That is an easy drive and no need to get onto the Cape.

We lived on Nantucket when I was a kid.

• Like 9

12 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

There is a ferry from RI but it is pretty pricy. So I drive to New Bedford and take the ferry from there. That is an easy drive and no need to get onto the Cape.

Both of my parent's families were from around Boston.  My mother's family all ended up on the Cape, either part time or full time.  My grandparents had a cottage in Truro.  I had Aunts/Uncles in Wellfleet, Dennisport, and South Yarmouth.  Only the Wellfleet Aunt still lives there year round.  GPs passed away many years ago and the others all are SW Florida residents who still have a place on the Cape.

My mother was the only sibling who moved away.  We'd still make the drive to the Cape every summer though.  We knew all of the ponds.  There was one in Wellfleet that you'd take a half hidden dirt road to get to.  There was never anyone there.  We called it naked pond, because we'd go there after the beach and strip off our bathing suits to rinse away all of the sand.  Fun and much simpler times.

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Wow , how lucky to have lived on Nantucket.  My only Cape Cod experience was accompanying my husband annually to Woods Hole for scientific meetings . The highlight for me was the clambake that closed the sessions. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

While on a morning bike ride this week I took photos of a house on 41st in Brant Beach with some signs from places that have closed.   Some of you may remember these places.    They had more signs around the back but I didn't want to trespass.

20220625_101536.thumb.jpg.5c9f9a495abbd47a417aef5bc80c3ea9.jpg20220625_101526.thumb.jpg.1d1fe7068e95a224e5890a4eaf5a1eda.jpg

That is so awesome that someone was able to collect the old signs. I wonder if they bought them at an auction or if they are a contractor for renovations / demolitions  or in they are someone that knows someone that knows people.

I don't think I've ever been to the Quarter Deck but many years, as I crossed over the causeway on to the island, seeing the sign was like announcing you have arrived and can commence having vacation fun. And I thought Hands was still in business as someone had purchased the store after the owners decided to retire? 

• Like 1

I've only been to Cape Cod once as an adult, back in mid-1990's.  Stayed in a hotel in West Yarmouth and used that as "base camp" to explore the cape hoping to bump into a Kennedy. Didn't see any, at least none that I could recognize. Did a little beach-hopping and went to Nauset Beach as it was named one of the prettiest beaches. Unfortunately even though it was mid-July,  the air temp was hovering around 60 that day & it was cloudy. But the water temp was also around 60 so going into the water felt good. Still cold but I was able to escape the breeze.

We did a whale watch tour out of P-town and according to the captain, it was one of the best whale watching seasons ever. Probably saw 30 or 40 whales, including a few that swam right under the boat.  All and all a good time & not sure why we never made it back. I have friends that have a small 2 bedroom cottage in the Wellfleet or Turo. I might be making a trek up there in July or August to visit.

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

That is so awesome that someone was able to collect the old signs. I wonder if they bought them at an auction or if they are a contractor for renovations / demolitions  or in they are someone that knows someone that knows people.

I don't think I've ever been to the Quarter Deck but many years, as I crossed over the causeway on to the island, seeing the sign was like announcing you have arrived and can commence having vacation fun. And I thought Hands was still in business as someone had purchased the store after the owners decided to retire? 

Hands in Beach Haven is still there with new owner in the last 2 years making some changes.

Hands in Ship Bottom closed many years ago so I guess the sign is from there.

Quarter Deck had a nice circular restaurant on 2nd floor that had a wonderful Sunday brunch buffet.  We had many dinners there too!

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I've only been to Cape Cod once as an adult, back in mid-1990's.  Stayed in a hotel in West Yarmouth and used that as "base camp" to explore the cape hoping to bump into a Kennedy. Didn't see any, at least none that I could recognize. Did a little beach-hopping and went to Nauset Beach as it was named one of the prettiest beaches. Unfortunately even though it was mid-July,  the air temp was hovering around 60 that day & it was cloudy. But the water temp was also around 60 so going into the water felt good. Still cold but I was able to escape the breeze.

We did a whale watch tour out of P-town and according to the captain, it was one of the best whale watching seasons ever. Probably saw 30 or 40 whales, including a few that swam right under the boat.  All and all a good time & not sure why we never made it back. I have friends that have a small 2 bedroom cottage in the Wellfleet or Turo. I might be making a trek up there in July or August to visit.

We were also in Cape Cod in the mid 90’s.We stayed at a motel in Yarmouth.Every summer from 2000 to 2004 we toured New England ,different areas.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

While on a morning bike ride this week I took photos of a house on 41st in Brant Beach with some signs from places that have closed.   Some of you may remember these places.    They had more signs around the back but I didn't want to trespass.

20220625_101536.thumb.jpg.5c9f9a495abbd47a417aef5bc80c3ea9.jpg20220625_101526.thumb.jpg.1d1fe7068e95a224e5890a4eaf5a1eda.jpg

39 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Hands in Beach Haven is still there with new owner in the last 2 years making some changes.

Hands in Ship Bottom closed many years ago so I guess the sign is from there.

Quarter Deck had a nice circular restaurant on 2nd floor that had a wonderful Sunday brunch buffet.  We had many dinners there too!

Was going to ask about Hands, used to love wandering around that store.  Have also been to Quarter Deck, sad to see some of the changes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Today is the birthday of my oldest granddaughter.She is celebrating her 18th.birthday.

Lenny, Happy 18th birthday to your granddaughter.

48 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

If you really want to enjoy a vacation to the fullest,  consider getting your own personal driver.

20220626_152108.thumb.jpg.7a90827358c3eedba68daf29cc8910f7.jpg

What a sweetheart girl!

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

The Mayflies have emerged from the lake.  They are everywhere. 

20220627_135139.thumb.jpg.d007877498fcce1035de8778aac1569d.jpg

One landed on my arm while I was getting ready to post that they are here.  Guess this one wanted to pose.

20220627_142203.thumb.jpg.c08b6099735469a40f2cc6d2817025e5.jpg

Yikes, we get the mayflies at our cabin the Poconos but never like that.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NHProud said:

Wow , how lucky to have lived on Nantucket.  My only Cape Cod experience was accompanying my husband annually to Woods Hole for scientific meetings . The highlight for me was the clambake that closed the sessions. 

After we moved off the island we would take rides to Woods Hole just so I could watch the ferries come and go. That was my favorite activity when we lived on the island.

• Like 3