Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

4 hours ago, Husky1987 said:

That may have been me.  John’s is my NYC fave and we go every time we’re in the city.  I’ve never waited in a line there for more than a few people/5 minutes or so…probably luck of the draw.  Goes pretty quick but I’m with you, as much as I love John’s I wouldn’t wait in that line either.

John’s has always had great pizza.After retiring from my long time job I worked for one year close to John’s and went with co-workers at least once a week.

• Like 1

Had a 8:30 dentist appointment (normally just waking up then) and there was a traffic issue so 2 policemen were monitoring, I was at a red light and the police asked me to roll down my window , they just wanted to tell me they were buffalo bills fans , had a Bills shirt and bills bumper sticker 😁😁

• Like 7
  • Haha 5

@bobmacliberty

18 hours ago,  NHProud said: 

If you’re going to Grand Central station look at the Oyster bar menu . There are other things on the menu besides oysters.  I used to visit annually in Feb and never had a problem with the weather.  

Is that the "hidden" bar that's upstairs?  We'll be looking for that bar.

It is the restaurant on the lower level of Grand Central station.  Another restaurant you might like is Tavern on the Green  My SIL enjoyed it .  

My friend spent 10 days in The City and walked 77 miles . Not for me for sure . You like to walk . Are you up to the challenge? 

Edited by NHProud

1 hour ago, BonTexasNY said:

As far as micro planning a trip, the only spreadsheets I ever created were work related.  We've driven from TX to NJ, to Miami and back, and all we did was get in the car and drive.  No advance plans. When we needed a potty break or food, we stopped at the next available area.  We don't like driving at night so when the sun started to set, we stopped at the next available hotel, preferably our favorite, Hampton Inn of which there are many along the way.

We love the drive down Galveston.  We pass 3 Buc'ees!  It heightens our cruise anticipation slowly. 

We love passing the giant statue of Sam Houston on 45.  I think @TravelGirlinDallas Bethany and @firefly333 Jane can relate.

We always look forward to seeing Big Sam. Brian's parents live fairly near him, so when we are going to visit them, we know we are almost there.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, NHProud said:

@bobmacliberty

18 hours ago,  NHProud said: 

If you’re going to Grand Central station look at the Oyster bar menu . There are other things on the menu besides oysters.  I used to visit annually in Feb and never had a problem with the weather.  

Is that the "hidden" bar that's upstairs?  We'll be looking for that bar.

It is the restaurant on the lower level of Grand Central station.  Another restaurant you might like is Tavern on the Green  My SIL enjoyed it .  

My friend spent 10 days in The City and walked 77 miles . Not for me for sure . You like to walk . Are you up to the challenge? 

The best restaurant that I have ever been to in Manhattan is Rao’s.

5 hours ago, Husky1987 said:

That may have been me.  John’s is my NYC fave and we go every time we’re in the city.  I’ve never waited in a line there for more than a few people/5 minutes or so…probably luck of the draw.  Goes pretty quick but I’m with you, as much as I love John’s I wouldn’t wait in that line either.

Yes, it was you. I think you had posted it a few days earlier so it was still fresh in my mind.

My stepdaughter went again a week later with her gal pals & got on right away -  no line, no wait. And she agrees that it's one of the better pizza places. 

9 minutes ago, molly361 said:

And most important don't forget to have a Sabrett  Dirty Water dog while in NYC

image.jpeg.a0c656110690dd99537e01e9e0a436ed.jpeg

I've never eaten anything from the sidewalk cart vendors. Are they safe? Anything labeled as Dirty Water would raise my suspicions too much to try it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I've never eaten anything from the sidewalk cart vendors. Are they safe?

I'm still alive. Never had a problem with them  Whenever I visit NYC dirty water dog and slice of pizza are my must do's  And a fried egg on a roll

Edited by molly361
  • Like 5

49 minutes ago, NHProud said:

My youngest spend the day in NY on Sunday, stayed in a hotel in NJ took the train in, they walked 11 miles and had a wonderful time.  So easy to get your steps in the city

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I've never eaten anything from the sidewalk cart vendors. Are they safe? Anything labeled as Dirty Water would raise my suspicions too much to try it.

I normally will have either a dirty hot dog with everything kraut, onions, mustard and or a big pretzel.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Is that the "hidden" bar that's upstairs?  We'll be looking for that bar.

The Oyster Bar is on the ramp from between the lower level & upper levels, closer to the lower level. 

Whispering Galley is right outside so you can check off both items in one quick shot. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

What is a dirty water hot dog New York style?

When it comes to NYC hot dogs, the colloquial phrase "dirty water" means that the water in the vat has been seasoned with various spices, giving it a dark and cloudy appearance. In doing so, the vendor imparts new levels of flavor to a pretty ubiquitous American food that can otherwise seem mundane.Aug 19, 2023
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 4

10 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

How about  food from vendors labeled as  Street Meat? 

• Haha 5

10 minutes ago, molly361 said:

I'm still alive. Never had a problem with them  Whenever I visit NYC dirty water dog and slice of pizza are my must do's  And a fried egg on a roll

You know what's been disappointing? The sack of nuts from street vendors. They smell so good but really lack in taste. 

And lately,  the hot pretzels with spicy mustard from street vendors have been underwhelming. Used to love getting those as a kid. I think they are just reheating frozen supermarket pretzels. 😠

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

You know what's been disappointing? The sack of nuts from street vendors. They smell so good but really lack in taste. 

And lately,  the hot pretzels with spicy mustard from street vendors have been underwhelming. Used to love getting those as a kid. I think they are just reheating frozen supermarket pretzels. 😠

I forgot about the pretzels. That's too bad 👎 

4 hours ago, h20skibum said:

Kids are all back in school by then, and family vacation travel should be over also.  

Nothing wrong with planning.  I have a spreadsheet with our stops along our drive.   I don’t mean just where we are stopping for the night.   I mean number of miles and travel time to each rest stop, fuel stop, and lunch stop.   Plus I usually research the gas prices where we will stop and factor that in.  You know, some of those states have higher gas prices than others.  Just like this morning, our gas stop in WV is currently at $3.50/gal, and in NC it is $3.00/gal. 

I do leave room to be flexible though.  I must admit that Susan and I make a good driving team.  I do plan it so she doesn’t have to drive in any of the major cities along the route..

I'm guessing bathroom breaks don't make the spread sheet as far as where to stop  huh? Just hold it until it's  a timed stop on the spread sheet.? 😉

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

You have to make a side stop in Philly if you really want a hot pretzel !

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I would not eat anything from a sidewalk vendor .They spend many hours there.I often wondered how they were able to get to a bathroom.