Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

Thanks everyone for the NYC ideas...keep 'em coming.  We've been to South Street Seaport (although it's been a while) and will probably skip it this time.  Same with the Met, although if the weather is bad, we may go again for an indoor activity.  It's hard (impossible?) to see everything at the Met in one day so a return visit would certainly be fun.  Ellen's Stardust Diner is a possibility.  I like the idea but Micheline still needs to look at and approve the menu. 😉  Gallagher's is a possibility if we want to get a nice steak dinner, but we don't eat steak nearly as much as we used to.  Good to know that there's a good bar in there if we decide that we just want a drink.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Thanks everyone for the NYC ideas...keep 'em coming.  We've been to South Street Seaport (although it's been a while) and will probably skip it this time.  Same with the Met, although if the weather is bad, we may go again for an indoor activity.  It's hard (impossible?) to see everything at the Met in one day so a return visit would certainly be fun.  Ellen's Stardust Diner is a possibility.  I like the idea but Micheline still needs to look at and approve the menu. 😉  Gallagher's is a possibility if we want to get a nice steak dinner, but we don't eat steak nearly as much as we used to.  Good to know that there's a good bar in there if we decide that we just want a drink.

If you like French food and want to spend about 500 Le Bernardin is directly across the street. Restaurant row has lots of restaurants and bars including places with live music to 4am or so , Joe Allen’s is there and lots of famous people go there also. One of my cousins plays at Swing 46th often . Restaurant row in on 46st between 8th and 9th ave.

Edited by George C
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

The primary reason that we're going is to see Billy Joel at MSG on Jan 11.  We also got tickets for the Book of Mormon.  We're staying at The Michelangelo on 51st and 7th per @George C's recommendation.  Looks great and a good location.  Pizza, bagels, breakfast sandwich, deli lunch, black and white cookies are all in the plans.  We have reservations at a restaurant called La Masseria on W 48th, based on a recommendation from a friend who lives here but visits frequently.  We'll probably go up to the Summit OV, weather allowing.  We've previously done Top of the Rock and Summit OV looks interesting with its various "art rooms". It's also right next to Grand Central Station, which we've never seen.  We'll also visit the 9/11 Memorial.  Still deciding what else we want to do.  Weather will be a big deciding factor.  I'm hoping for something closer to Lenny's wedding weather but planning for snow and cold.  

Any other ideas...I'm all ears.  

I love the Intrepid Museum and South Street Seaport. Central Park is very nice, too. I always have to make a visit to St. Patrick's Cathedral. 

• Like 5

Since NYC is currently the conversation this isn't too far off topic.  I am scheduled to board Liberty 11 months from now for a Canada/NE cruise.  I've never been to NYC before so I'm planning on going in three days early. I've just started looking into planning for this and I've got a couple of questions.  First question is should I fly into Newark or JFK?  Originally I thought I'd fly into Newark since that would be the easiest on embarkation morning but after thinking about it I'm reconsidering the idea.  Since I'm going to spend three days in NYC flying into Newark and staying in Newark might be a dumb idea.  Should I fly into NYC and stay closer to where I'll be visiting or should I stay in Newark near the cruise port.  If I stay in Newark what should I do about transport each day getting into NYC.  Or conversely, if staying in NYC what is my best option for transport to Cape Liberty on cruise day?  Is staying near JFK to far from the city and will I find it inconvenient travesing back and forth each day.

My plan for the time in NYC is the usual tourist favorites; The 911 memorial and museum, Time Square, Empire State Building, Central Park, Broadway show (which is TBD) and whatever else I can squeeze in after that.  any other suggestions are welcome.  

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Since NYC is currently the conversation this isn't too far off topic.  I am scheduled to board Liberty 11 months from now for a Canada/NE cruise.  I've never been to NYC before so I'm planning on going in three days early. I've just started looking into planning for this and I've got a couple of questions.  First question is should I fly into Newark or JFK?  Originally I thought I'd fly into Newark since that would be the easiest on embarkation morning but after thinking about it I'm reconsidering the idea.  Since I'm going to spend three days in NYC flying into Newark and staying in Newark might be a dumb idea.  Should I fly into NYC and stay closer to where I'll be visiting or should I stay in Newark near the cruise port.  If I stay in Newark what should I do about transport each day getting into NYC.  Or conversely, if staying in NYC what is my best option for transport to Cape Liberty on cruise day?  Is staying near JFK to far from the city and will I find it inconvenient travesing back and forth each day.

My plan for the time in NYC is the usual tourist favorites; The 911 memorial and museum, Time Square, Empire State Building, Central Park, Broadway show (which is TBD) and whatever else I can squeeze in after that.  any other suggestions are welcome.  

If you stay in NJ you can ride the NJTransit trains in and out of the city but it would be much more convenient to stay in Manhattan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, h20skibum said:

It was either last year, or the year before that Waze routed us that way because of the stop and go traffic, with maybe a wreck or two to add to the mix.   Maybe we will miss it since we are going down earlier this year.

Last year's trip to Florida was horrific!  We're heading out 2 days earlier this December.

• Like 4

The primary reason that we're going is to see Billy Joel at MSG on Jan 11.  We also got tickets for the Book of Mormon.  We're staying at The Michelangelo on 51st and 7th per @George C's recommendation.  Looks great and a good location.  Pizza, bagels, breakfast sandwich, deli lunch, black and white cookies are all in the plans.  We have reservations at a restaurant called La Masseria on W 48th, based on a recommendation from a friend who lives here but visits frequently.  We'll probably go up to the Summit OV, weather allowing.  We've previously done Top of the Rock and Summit OV looks interesting with its various "art rooms". It's also right next to Grand Central Station, which we've never seen.  We'll also visit the 9/11 Memorial.  Still deciding what else we want to do.  Weather will be a big deciding factor.  I'm hoping for something closer to Lenny's wedding weather but planning for snow and cold.  

If you’re going to Grand Central station look at the Oyster bar menu . There are other things on the menu besides oysters.  I used to visit annually in Feb and never had a problem with the weather.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, h20skibum said:

For all of our whiskey drinkers in Pennsylvania, just saw this, this morning.  

The Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board (PLCB), through its Limited-Release Lottery, will award lottery winners the opportunity to purchase 4,429 bottles of rare whiskeys.

Pennsylvania residents and licensees will have until 5 p.m. Friday to opt in to the lottery by visiting the Limited-Release Lottery web page at FWGS.com.

This event will feature six products in five lotteries. If a participant wins the right to purchase a bottle in a drawing, they will be removed from subsequent drawings in that lottery. Purchase is limited to one bottle per participant per lottery. Only one entry per household per lottery is allowed; duplicative entries will be disqualified. 

Lotteries will be held, in the following order, to award the opportunity to purchase individual bottles:

Lottery 1

Blanton’s Gold Straight Bourbon, $119.99 each.

Blanton’s Straight From the Barrel Bourbon, $149.99 each.

Lottery 2

Eagle Rare Straight Bourbon 17-Year-Old 2022 Release, $109.99 each.

Lottery 3

Heaven Hill Heritage Collection Straight Corn Whiskey 20-Year-Old 2023 Edition, $289.99 each.

Lottery 4

Russell’s Reserve Straight Bourbon 13-Year-Old Barrel Proof, $149.99 each.

Lottery 5

Stagg Straight Bourbon Barrel Proof, $54.99 each.

I received an email the other day about this lottery and didn't understand it.  

After reading today's conversations here, makes sense now.

Edited by Sunshine3601
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, NHProud said:

If you’re going to Grand Central station look at the Oyster bar menu . There are other things on the menu besides oysters.  I used to visit annually in Feb and never had a problem with the weather.  

Weather for January I believe is totally unpredictable. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I always recommend the Michealanglo because of location and size of the rooms ,we have stayed there a dozen or so times , walking distance to Broadway shows , Times Square and Central Park. We always fly into LGA so can’t comment on the others but believe there is a flat fee for taxi going to midtown. Hotel is also a couple of blocks from Rockefeller center and radio city. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Keksie said:

Fun morning yesterday.  

Rearranging things in the guest bathroom I saw a little lizard.  Caught him and put him in a nice bush.

Was on the way to my closet with clean clothes when I saw Coal had something.  Maybe a bird?  No it was a chipmunk who was very active.  I screamed at Coal who dropped the chipmunk and the race was on.  Chipmunk running for his life, Coal wanting his toy back and I following screaming at the cat.  The chipmunk ran up a curtain and perched at the top.  I threw the cat in a bathroom keeping an eye on Chip, looking out for any other cats approaching and texted my husband "help". He came running in from his shop, I tossed him a towel and ran to get an animal box that I have on hand.  In the box Chip went.  In a few minutes we had all calmed down enough for me to examine him for damage.  He checked out ok with no cuts and nothing broken so I put him outside far away from the cat pen.  

Hopefully Chip didn't go to the bathroom anywhere.   One time one of our cats brought a bird inside and it flew around and crapped on my curtains, sofa, dining room table and chairs before I finally got it outside.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

How safe is that at night?

I haven't ridden NJTransit in or out of the city in a long time. Back in the day they were very safe. They go into Penn Station which is by Madison Square Garden and an easy walk to Time Square.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tree_skier said:

I would definitely fly into Newark.  JFK is quite a distance from the cruise terminal and NYC.  Quite a few people have posted staying in Newark and maybe Ubering into Manhattan pre-cruise. I don't know much about transportation to and from Newark.

Just walking around Manhattan is the best.  I would add Chinatown for some authentic ethnic food. Wo Hop 17 Mott Street has to die for Chinese food.

I always loved walking along Rockefeller Center to see first hand where the Today Show is broadcast.  Top of The Rock is an amazing observatory 70 stories high but comes with a price, approx. $50.  

Chelsea Market on 9th Avenue is a great place for shopping and eating.

Wish we still lived in NY.  We loved showing people, especially first time visitors, the city.

I don't know how you'll get around the city.  Subway and buses are plentiful.

It really is an exceptionally, exciting, wonderful city.

I look forward to reading all about it!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Hopefully Chip didn't go to the bathroom anywhere.   One time one of our cats brought a bird inside and it flew around and crapped on my curtains, sofa, dining room table and chairs before I finally got it outside.

Oh my that would be bad. I don't think Chip had time since I saw them right after they got inside.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

My two favorite midtown Manhattan restaurants are :

Carmines -200 W.44 St.Italian cuisine.Toby and I have dined there more than 50 times and the food and service has always been great.

Le Rivage 340 W.46 St.French cuisine We have dined there many times and the food and service is always great.Reservations are a must.

Le Rivage is on Restaurant Row,wall to wall restaurants ,many cuisines.

• Like 1

I am not a steak eater .I have shrimp at Gallagher’s.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

Speaking of accents... people say they can hear my Canadian accent and often try and tease me about it.  When I go visit back in Canada I've had people who don't know me ask me what part of the US I'm from.  🤯

We know people living in Toronto who do not have accents.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

My friends and relatives who fly into the area to cruise from Bayonne always fly into JFK,never LaGuardia or Newark.I have lived in NY all my life and have never flown from or to Newark and only once to LaGuardia.

1 hour ago, Luckynana said:

Last year's trip to Florida was horrific!  We're heading out 2 days earlier this December.

So when is the normal snowbird migration south?  We are starting our drive on December 13, and should be going through the narrow I-26 portion on the 14th.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1