Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

12 hours ago, George C said:

Since you said your first pizza was when you were 16 then I definitely been earring pizza longer and I am sure others also ,  as a Italian growing up in Brooklyn I would question what you consider good and bad pizza , rccl makes terrible pizza , some itilian lines are way better so is Princess. You should try the pizza in Naples if you want fantastic pizza. My grandma made fantastic pizza and she was born in Italy. 

If you recall we discussed in the past growing up in close proximity to each other.I have to assume that we ate at some of the same pizzerias.

8 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

If you recall we discussed in the past growing up in close proximity to each other.I have to assume that we ate at some of the same pizzerias.

While it’s possible , Brooklyn I am sure had hundreds of pizza places and I don’t believe we lived in same areas, I know we totally disagree, my main reason for post was your saying you have been eating pizza longer than anyone. I find it strange than anyone in New York not eating pizza before the age of 16.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

The condo that I live in is having an end of summer party today .They have not had one the past two years .It will be barbecue and non alcoholic beverages,no limit .There will be live entertainment .In the past the parties have been great.

I hope you are to use your new walker and have some fun.  It is a gorgeous day here.  Enjoy😀

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, George C said:

I find it strange than anyone in New York not eating pizza before the age of 16.

I understand why you say that & don't necessarily disagree with you as it does seem odd to me as well. I've been eating pizza as long as I can remember .

The only rebuttal I could offer is that I did not try New York's other signature food item - The Bagel - until I was around 16 or 17. I was working part time in a deli and customers kept raving how great the bagels were so I tried one. I was unimpressed - too dry, dense and doughy. It was probably another 16 years before I tried one again and even now only eat them very sparingly. The ones I like probably are not "true" NY bagels.

Granted, I'm not a city boy as I was born & raised in the suburbs of NYC but bagel places were plentiful around me.

• Like 4

I have not cruise since before the pandemic so my info is hopelessly out of date but here is my contribution to the Great Pizza Wars Debate.

Sorrento's pizza has always been a bit "meh" and hit-n-miss in my opinion. Royal did embark on an effort of improve the taste & quality around 2017 or 2018 time frame (I think, memory is a bit hazy). Reformulated recipe with better, fresher ingredients from different sources/vendors.  It was gradually rolled out to the fleet so it was still a hit-n-miss proposition but I remember seeing signs touting the "new & improved" pizza on some ships and it was indeed "pretty good", all things considered. Not as good as some my favorite local pizza joints places but it certainly was no longer "horrible".  

The usual caveats apply: In My Humble Opinion, taste is subjective, not everyone is going to like vanilla, etc, etc, etc.

Maybe things have changed post-pandemic, with cost cutting & supply chain problems, rolling back the "new & improved" Sorrento's back to it's previous "meh" status?  Maybe @Sea Dog or @bobmacliberty or some other recent cruisers can do a taste test for us?

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

I stand by my previous post.  Food is subjective no matter who likes it or doesn't.

Sorry, folks.  I promise this will be my last Sorrentos post.

Agree I learned a long time ago not to trust a Texan saying this Italian restaurant is great , long time ago one of my wife’s coworkers told her how good Olive Garden was , I took two bites of my lasagna and that was it , manager came and asked me what was wrong, I told him this wasn’t itilian food , they were very nice and offered me another entree which I turned down. Also trying to find a real bagel or a pastrami sandwich in 1982 was impossible, many of us did frequent trips to New York and brought back bagels and Italian bread or bailies .

• Like 4

This whole pizza discussion gets out of control every time it is brought up.  Everyone is allowed their own opinion and no one has the right to question that, whether they are old, young, lived where there is good pizza, bad pizza or no pizza.  There are many pictures of food that people post here that look delicious and others look gross to me, but I don't tell the people I know better and that is gross, I just scroll by.  Some need to learn how to scroll.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 5

16 hours ago, Keksie said:

I volunteer at a wildlife refuge.  We take in injured and orphaned (and kidnapped) native wild animals.  We treat their injuries, raise the babies and release them back into the wild.  Right now the nursery and nicu are very full so I have been working in there most of the time.  

Ooh, I remember now. 

The poor babies. Thanks for helping our wildlife.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I understand why you say that & don't necessarily disagree with you as it does seem odd to me as well. I've been eating pizza as long as I can remember .

The only rebuttal I could offer is that I did not try New York's other signature food item - The Bagel - until I was around 16 or 17. I was working part time in a deli and customers kept raving how great the bagels were so I tried one. I was unimpressed - too dry, dense and doughy. It was probably another 16 years before I tried one again and even now only eat them very sparingly. The ones I like probably are not "true" NY bagels.

Granted, I'm not a city boy as I was born & raised in the suburbs of NYC but bagel places were plentiful around me.

I find bagels dense also and I learned years ago in NY to gut the inside.  Cuts down on sodium and calories. Bagel scoopers are ruining NYC

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

This whole pizza discussion gets out of control every time it is brought up.  Everyone is allowed their own opinion and no one has the right to question that, whether they are old, young, lived where there is good pizza, bad pizza or no pizza.  There are many pictures of food that people post here that look delicious and others look gross to me, but I don't tell the people I know better and that is gross, I just scroll by.  Some need to learn how to scroll.

See my above post.😊 I'm pretty proud of myself. Now, things may change after I open the Kraken bottle.

• Like 3
  • Haha 13

8 minutes ago, George C said:

Agree I learned a long time ago not to trust a Texan saying this Italian restaurant is great , long time ago one of my wife’s coworkers told her how good Olive Garden was , I took two bites of my lasagna and that was it , manager came and asked me what was wrong, I told him this wasn’t itilian food , they were very nice and offered me another entree which I turned down. Also trying to find a real bagel or a pastrami sandwich in 1982 was impossible, many of us did frequent trips to New York and brought back bagels and Italian bread or bailies .

I've never been to an Olive Garden but will try it one day. A buddy of mine described it as "pretty good food" as long as you don't think of it as "Italian food", otherwise its not that good. 😄

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

I actually find the food debates fun.  Maybe my idea is "fun" is a bit twisted?

But yeah, I do agree with your sentiment. Some take it a bit too seriously.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, George C said:

Olive Garden>>>>blech, my opinion.  The best Italian food is a mom and pop owned restaurant, not a chain.  Eddy's Pizza Restaurant in Plano on 15th St., near Custer is a favorite but haven't been there in quite a while.

Katz's deli in NY ships!  My friend surprised me with a pastrami lunch.  Sublime, although I prefer my pastrami more thinly cut.

• Like 4